big t

Default need help choosing subs

Here's what I got
a 2 channel 1000 watt lanzar vibe245 amp
2 1 cu. ft. sealed enclosures for 12" subwoofers
a 79 Tbird

Here's what I want out of these 12's
tight clean accurate bass, good sound quality, not boomy

I mostly play rap and death metal in my car.

My wallet has $175 put away for subwoofers.

Which 12's are the best to get in my situation with the amount of money I got?
I've been considering the following subs
Alpine Type-E SWE 1241
Infinity Reference 1230w
JBL GT 120
MTX Thunder 4500
Pioneer TS-W305C

I would greatly appreciate some good detailed advice.
big t

"Paul Vina" wrote in message news:NXuNa.13028$I8.5041@rwcrnsc53...
Look for some Image Dynamics IDQ12dvc v.2's. Your amp is putting out more
power than the subs you've listed will handle so spend a bit more on the
ID's and you'll be happy.

Paul Vina

"big t" wrote in message
om...
Here's what I got
a 2 channel 1000 watt lanzar vibe245 amp
2 1 cu. ft. sealed enclosures for 12" subwoofers
a 79 Tbird

Here's what I want out of these 12's
tight clean accurate bass, good sound quality, not boomy

I mostly play rap and death metal in my car.

My wallet has $175 put away for subwoofers.

Which 12's are the best to get in my situation with the amount of money I

got?
I've been considering the following subs
Alpine Type-E SWE 1241
Infinity Reference 1230w
JBL GT 120
MTX Thunder 4500
Pioneer TS-W305C

I would greatly appreciate some good detailed advice.

Ya those ID's are nice. I look at all sorts of nice speakers like
kicker comps and rockford punches, but then I look at my wallet and
remember that I work at a burger joint for $5.40 an hour. If I was to
go all out I'd just spend about $240 on a good deal I've found on some
kicker comps, but then I'll just have a nice pair of kicker comps in
the closet not being able to afford the equipment to hook it up or the
installation. I knew I'd probably get posts like "spend a little more
and get this you'll be happier" because other people have learned from
experience that you will get what you pay for. That's understandable,
but that's not what I'm asking for. Everybody and their moma knows a
good set of kicker's, rockfords, ID's, infinity perfects or whatever
will thump the trunk.

As for the amp I believe at least a couple of those brands can handle
the rms rating of that amp if I wire it at 4ohms which is the plan
because I heard wiring it at 2 ohms will take away from the sound
quality. It's says on the box at 4 ohms it puts out 250 rms and at 2
ohms it puts out 400 rms. I shouldn't of even considered the alpines,
but going by the numbers the infinity references (300 rms), pioneers
(400 rms), and the JBl GT's (250 rms) can handle that amount of power
although it's pushing it a bit. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking
about, but I also have a cheap and weak 600 watt Jensen amp that will
push much less than that anyway. I hate to say I got anything Jensen
in my car though.
Paul Vina

A pair of Kicker Comps would probably fit in your budget. They're 2 for 1
all the time in local shops and even on eBay. But of what you're looking
at, I'd go with the Pioneers.

Paul Vina

"big t" wrote in message
om...

"big t" wrote in message
[...]

Greg Hetterly

You could try the Quatro from Parts Express. Haven't heard any negative
comments about them. PE has some of the better customer service out there,
which is a plus!

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=295-555&DID=7

Greg.

"big t" wrote in message
om...
Here's what I got
a 2 channel 1000 watt lanzar vibe245 amp
2 1 cu. ft. sealed enclosures for 12" subwoofers
a 79 Tbird

Here's what I want out of these 12's
tight clean accurate bass, good sound quality, not boomy

I mostly play rap and death metal in my car.

My wallet has $175 put away for subwoofers.

Which 12's are the best to get in my situation with the amount of money I

got?
I've been considering the following subs
Alpine Type-E SWE 1241
Infinity Reference 1230w
JBL GT 120
MTX Thunder 4500
Pioneer TS-W305C

I would greatly appreciate some good detailed advice.

Paul Vina

The shop I used to work at sold Pioneer so I have loads of experience with
their subs. Like all other subs, it's all about the box. If you're unsure,
those Kickers are only $20 over the $175 you have saved.

Paul Vina

"big t" wrote in message
om...
"Paul Vina" wrote in message

A pair of Kicker Comps would probably fit in your budget. They're 2 for

1
all the time in local shops and even on eBay. But of what you're

looking
at, I'd go with the Pioneers.

Paul Vina

"big t" wrote in message
om...

"big t" wrote in message
[...]

Have you heard the pioneers in action? Going by the numbers the
infinity's seem better (20-250hz compared to 18-2000hz). I don't know
what I'm talking about although I may be right. Some reviews claim
pioneer subs don't have a very good thump to them. Oh well if someone
else has heard all this cheap and weak equipment maybe they can help
me decide. BTW, I've looked at the kicker deals on ebay and they
aren't bad $160 + $35 shipping, but that's still a little too pricey.
I probably don't need to spend a whole lot of money on all this stereo
equipment. Some halfway decent subs are good enough. Besides good
subs are magical. They have a tendency to disappear. I don't know
kicker puts so much into their subs that they may have device that
allows them to pop open the trunk and run away. Hard to tell.

big t

"big t" wrote in message
om...
Here's what I got
a 2 channel 1000 watt lanzar vibe245 amp
2 1 cu. ft. sealed enclosures for 12" subwoofers
a 79 Tbird

Here's what I want out of these 12's
tight clean accurate bass, good sound quality, not boomy

I mostly play rap and death metal in my car.

My wallet has $175 put away for subwoofers.

Which 12's are the best to get in my situation with the amount of money I

got?
I've been considering the following subs
Alpine Type-E SWE 1241
Infinity Reference 1230w
JBL GT 120
MTX Thunder 4500
Pioneer TS-W305C

I would greatly appreciate some good detailed advice.

I'll take your advice and get the pioneers. The pioneers can handle
my amp output and they can go as deep as 18hz. Pioneer is also a well
know and respected brand. It's hard to go with a brand you never
heard of like quatro. The only problem with this is my boxes don't
fit the recommended volume which is 1.5 cu. ft. I'll have to find
someone who can build a box. The people I know who say they can may
not know what they're doing. I would probably have the same problem
with any other sub not made for that box. (I think they're made for
crap sony x's) Like you said it's all about the boxes. I can get a
pair of pioneers off etronics for $120 + 25 shipping so thats probably
what I'll end up doing. I'll just spend the extra cash to make sure
the installation is good so they don't blow up or sound like crap. If
I am to build new boxes I need to get some stuff for that too anyway.
I think as long as these subs aren't crappy sony, pyle, pyramid, etc.
they will do what I want to do which is sound halfway decent, thump
the trunk, and **** off the neighbors. Besides even those kicker comps
won't impress the guy i know with four alphasoniks and a 2400 watt
mono class d amp although it's so powerful it's more of a rattle then
a thump sound. Maybe if I can't out pound these guys I can out sound
the ones who don't know what they're doing. Although I also don't know
what I'm doing.
jim cooper

I have a pair of RF RFP1212's in sealed enclosure if your intrested in those
they are 4 Ohm speakers.. ???
. ca...

"big t" wrote in message
om...
Here's what I got
a 2 channel 1000 watt lanzar vibe245 amp
2 1 cu. ft. sealed enclosures for 12" subwoofers
a 79 Tbird

Here's what I want out of these 12's
tight clean accurate bass, good sound quality, not boomy

I mostly play rap and death metal in my car.

My wallet has $175 put away for subwoofers.

Which 12's are the best to get in my situation with the amount of money

got?
I've been considering the following subs
Alpine Type-E SWE 1241
Infinity Reference 1230w
JBL GT 120
MTX Thunder 4500
Pioneer TS-W305C

I would greatly appreciate some good detailed advice.

Please help me decide between two subs..... Larry Southerland General 0 July 18th 03 02:10 PM
Converting Car subs to Home speakers Raf General 4 July 14th 03 02:06 PM
Help choosing a system The Lizard Car Audio 19 July 3rd 03 10:22 PM
Best amp and subs? rm Car Audio 3 July 3rd 03 04:15 PM
matching subs to amp Duffman Car Audio 1 July 3rd 03 04:00 PM