rm

Default Best amp and subs?

Which subs and amp brands are known to be "the best"? (quality)

-E-F-F-E-N-D-I-

Whichever ones sound the best to you. Dont ever ask this question...

"rm" wrote in message
Which subs and amp brands are known to be "the best"? (quality)

Sanitarium

yeah back then...Cerwin, stillwater, MTX, RF, GS-redline... that was
about it. 130db from a pair of 12's was considered extreme.

I think today there are only a handfull of speaker makers in the world..
Eminence, MTX, celestion being 3 of them. Im pretty sure electro voice
are made by eminence. Stillwaters are made by a company called
Credence.

All these "brands" you see are made at made at a supplier site but
painted, labeled differently. So the company name you see on the
speaker does not own tooling, or the manufacturing process and has
minimal overhead in materials and headcount/labor. The designs however
are proprietary, and therefore unique.

They basically build speakers and drive inventory only as orders are
placed so in this build-to-order system there is no wasted inventory
accumulation. I think that is how it works, and helps to explain how
all these companies can stay afloat.

IMHO the consumer really should pay closer attention to thiele small
parameters and RMS wattage ratings. IMHO the brand label you see on the
dustcap is practically irrelevent, but what really sets them apart is th
TS params.

To my ears subs with low res frequency, low Vas and Qts optimized for
small sealed enclosures sound best. From there its just a matter of
tuning the sub to the enclosure volume and selecting an amp RMS power
rating that matches the RMS of the speaker.

Hope someone finds this useful...
Garrett

Mike Sims wrote:

In article ,
says...
Which subs and amp brands are known to be "the best"? (quality)

There are too many good amps out there for any one brand to be
considered "the best" Not like it was in the 80's, where the selection
was slim.

From a microeconomics perspective, I am amazed that company's can
survive with the high level of saturation out there.