TubeGarden

Default how to choose a tube tester

Hi RATs!

Put the tube in the circuit you are going to use and listen. If you like it, it
is good. If not, you may change the circuit until you do

The alternative is test stuff you cannot hear. What does that accomplish?

Buy $50. worth of tubes and swap them into the radio and find the best sounding
of the bunch.

eBay is just another yard sale

Happy Ears!
Al

Alan J. Marcy
Phoenix, AZ

PWC/mystic/Earhead
Rich Sherman

Most Tube Testers are notorious devices. Unfortunately the notoriety is not
good.

Look for older model testers that have the old sockets
that accept 45's, 2A3, etc..

Personally I own an Eico 667 tester and don't always 'trust' what it is
telling me.

Som tubes read 110% and are garbage. Other's like my Svetlana 6650 read 35%
and are absolutely new and flawless.

The best Tube Tester is to have more than one. They are like Doctors, always
look for a second or third opinion before trading 'weak' measuring
Telefunken ECC83's that are actually only 1/2 way to the cleaners!!!

If you really want to test Power Tubes you have to do it at 'real' voltages,
not the wimpy 300 volts or less that the typical 'Mutual Conductance' tube
tester provide.

Look for the TV Military of Hickok 539 series or the Carmatic 123, those are
good testers.

Good luck,

Rich

"JP" wrote in message
nk.net...
Hi,

I working on repairing my first old radio--a Majestic 1A59EB. I would like
to test the tubes in it (41, 75, 80, 6A7, 6D6), but have no tube tester on
my wee bench. The testers I see for sale on Ebay seem to range between
$5-50 (Superior, Eico, etc.), then jump to testers that sell for over
$300-1000 (Hickok, military models, etc.).

So I was curious what models I could pick up for a reasonable price (under
$50 or so) that would test the tubes I need to test, have a decent range

of
tube types that it can handle for my future projects, and not...to be
blunt, be a worthless heap of garbage from day one.

Any advice would be much appreciated--including better sources to buy tube
testers than Ebay.

Thanks much,

Jason

Fred Nachbaur

JP wrote:
Hi,

I working on repairing my first old radio--a Majestic 1A59EB. I would like
to test the tubes in it (41, 75, 80, 6A7, 6D6), but have no tube tester on
my wee bench. The testers I see for sale on Ebay seem to range between
$5-50 (Superior, Eico, etc.), then jump to testers that sell for over
$300-1000 (Hickok, military models, etc.).

So I was curious what models I could pick up for a reasonable price (under
$50 or so) that would test the tubes I need to test, have a decent range of
tube types that it can handle for my future projects, and not...to be
blunt, be a worthless heap of garbage from day one.

Any advice would be much appreciated--including better sources to buy tube
testers than Ebay.

Thanks much,

Jason

Avoid simple "emission testers," and opt for transconductance (aka
"mutual conductance") testers. I really like my B&K Model 747B, largely
because of its compact size. (Like you, I have a very "wee" bench.)

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects, Vacuum Tubes & other stuff: |
| http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Bob Hedberg

I'd second the Eico 666. It's relatively cheap, and very reliable.
Most tube settings are accurate. I've been using one for four years
now, and have gotten used to it. There are a a few updated charts, so
if you run across a tube with low readings and it doesn't seem right,
it may be the settings. Known NOS will really tell. Most settings
are right, and good tubes usually read from 100 to 120 %.
For reading really high transconductance tubes, however, take the
readings with a grain of salt. They sometimes read lower than they
really are.
I had a problem reading 12gn7's, and found that my Heathkit TT1 read
them correctly.
The 666 will read normal power tubes correctly, like 6550, 6l6, EL34,
etc, if properly calibrated.

Bob Hedberg

(Jiri Placek) wrote:

JP wrote in message ink.net...
[...]

Just grab that plate in one hand, the chassis in the other,
and FEEL the power of tube audio!!!
(not literally, of course, just kidding. DON'T DO THAT!)

proletariat

The Hickok 533A or 600A, the Heathkit TT-1, the TV-7A/U and the Sencore
MU150 are the lowest cost of the serious tube testers, with the TT-1 or
TV-7A/U being the picks of that group.

All are around $200, + a good calibration will run you $75 - $125

There is no good $50 tube tester. It is like saying I want to buy a serious
computer for $100

But your $300 investment will serve you well, and the great thing is, should
you decide to sell it, you should make money, as you will likely get over
$300 for a calibrated example of any of the above testers.

cowboy

You really want to
"JP" wrote in message
[...]

Dwaine Garden

Fred Nachbaur wrote:

proletariat wrote:

The Hickok 533A or 600A, the Heathkit TT-1, the TV-7A/U and the Sencore
MU150 are the lowest cost of the serious tube testers, with the TT-1 or
TV-7A/U being the picks of that group.

All are around $200, + a good calibration will run you $75 - $125

There is no good $50 tube tester. It is like saying I want to buy a
serious
computer for $100

That's not to say that you might not get lucky and find a bargain if
you're patient, and keep your eyes and ears open. Tube testers are sort
of a "fringe" item, and if you poke around in obscure second-hand stores
who knows what you might find. For instance, I got my B&K 747B for $50
Cdn (usually sell on ebay for between $150 and $250 US).

Cheers,
Fred

Would you care to share your secret location?

Fred Nachbaur

Dwaine Garden wrote:
Fred Nachbaur wrote:

proletariat wrote:

The Hickok 533A or 600A, the Heathkit TT-1, the TV-7A/U and the Sencore
MU150 are the lowest cost of the serious tube testers, with the TT-1 or
TV-7A/U being the picks of that group.

All are around $200, + a good calibration will run you $75 - $125

There is no good $50 tube tester. It is like saying I want to buy a
serious
computer for $100

That's not to say that you might not get lucky and find a bargain if
you're patient, and keep your eyes and ears open. Tube testers are
sort of a "fringe" item, and if you poke around in obscure second-hand
stores who knows what you might find. For instance, I got my B&K 747B
for $50 Cdn (usually sell on ebay for between $150 and $250 US).

Cheers,
Fred

Would you care to share your secret location?

Well, it's not secret at all. This particular bargain was from a
radio/TV repair shop that was "cleaning house" and getting rid of old
"obsolete" stuff. I missed out on the box of tubes and the VTVM, but got
the 747B.

The point I was trying to make is that if you keep your feelers out, and
are willing to be patient, the stuff is out there just waiting for you.
It can be on ebay, at local yard sales, second-hand stores (though many
of these are getting hip to the value of tube-related gear), Salvation
Army, GoodWill, newspaper ads, etc. Just follow your nose.

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects: http://dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Ned Carlson

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 22:58:34 +0000, Lou D wrote:

If you are going to be working on pre WWII radios then I would recommend the
I-177 military tester of Hickok design made by various manufactures. It is
well made and easy to use. They can be had at the $50 to $100 range.

If he's doing mostly stuff from WW2 & prior I would second that.
I-177 can't test later stuff like 12AX7's, so they go for less than
other testers.
I'm partial to B&Ks but AFAIK, few B&Ks have sockets for antique
tubes like 80's, etc.

--
Ned Carlson Triode Electronics
25633 W Irving Park Rd Chicago, IL, 60634 USA
Chuck Harris

The I-177 does 12AX7, etc. just fine. You have to get the adapter
box that is part of the set. It would be very easy to make one on
your own. The set cables into the "N" octal tube socket, and has
a group of 5 cables with bananna plugs, and 9, or 10 bananna sockets
that connect to the corresponding pin on the adapter sockets.

The latest charts have all of the simpler miniature tubes. When I
had mine, I had a book dated 1965, or so. I would bet that
Nolands Redneck Boatanchor site would have that book online.

-Chuck

Ned Carlson wrote:
On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 22:58:34 +0000, Lou D wrote:

If you are going to be working on pre WWII radios then I would recommend the
I-177 military tester of Hickok design made by various manufactures. It is
well made and easy to use. They can be had at the $50 to $100 range.

If he's doing mostly stuff from WW2 & prior I would second that.
I-177 can't test later stuff like 12AX7's, so they go for less than
other testers.
I'm partial to B&Ks but AFAIK, few B&Ks have sockets for antique
tubes like 80's, etc.

Lou D

All depends on where you look, if it's Ebay then that's right. I have a
KS-15874-L2 Cardmatic with a full set of cards that I got for less than $50.
My I-177 was $40 , Eico 666 for $25, Hickok 800A was $80 and Hickok 540 was
$25. Still like the old 177 for the radio tubes, fast and reliable. Lot of
the stuff I found advertising on a small local AM station "Swap Shop".

"JP" wrote in message
[...]

Lou D

Hi Roger, tried to email you but it bounced!
"firedome" wrote in message
om...
I'll third Ned & Lou on the I-177 (howyadoin' Lou) ...but you can test
the 12ax7s &c as the military also made an add-on unit for the 177
that enabled testing of later tubes, though it was kinda a pain to
use, lots of cable plugging-in etc. Did work well though. I finally
gave in and got rid of it for a TV-7D. Excellent machine.
Roger in NY