robo

Default Rane MS-1b Micpre

Is anybody using this little thingy.For less then $200 too.

Rob
David Satz

Rob O. wrote:

Is anybody using this little thingy.For less then $200 too.

I've tested it out. It performs well in most respects, but the way its
gain control circuit is set up, the low-frequency response depends on the
gain setting, and that really shouldn't be the case. As I recall (there's
a message here within the past year in which I posted my exact measurement
results), there were rather significant losses--3 to 5 dB down, maybe--at
the higher end of the gain range. (cf. "Google Groups Search")

Perhaps a simple capacitor substitution would fix that problem, though.
LeBaron & Alrich

Mike Rivers wrote:

The rationalization (my words,
not Mackie's, who don't have any on the subject) is that with the gain
wide open, chances are there's going to be some low frequency ambient
noise that you're going to want to cut anyway. And at normal
rock-and-roll into-the-mic levels, the low frequency response is all
there. So in practice (and this may well be the case with the Rane
too) it isn't as bad as you'd like it to look.

So just don't buy any ribbon mics? g Because there it sounds worse
than I'd like it to sound, Mackie-wise.

--
hank alrich * secret mountain
audio recording * music production * sound reinforcement
Aaron J. Grier

Mike Rivers wrote:
People who use ribbon mics wouldn't be caught dead with a Mackie just
on general principles (or at least shouldn't).

not even with a decent mic pre?

Kind of like mixing 50 year old Scotch with Coca Cola.

except you don't "use up" a mic or mixer by hooking them to eachother.

--
Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." |
"Isn't an OS that openly and proudly admits to come directly from Holy
serious fun

Apparently, Roger Nichols likes it

http://www.musicgearnetwork.com/ubb/...c;f=2;t=005400

"robo" wrote in message
om...
Is anybody using this little thingy.For less then $200 too.

Rob

LeBaron & Alrich

Scott Dorsey wrote:

But the M-500 works surprisingly well into a Mackie.

This is true IME. Not so the M260, M160, or my M360. I'm just gonna
assume we don't want to try an M130.

--
hank alrich * secret mountain
audio recording * music production * sound reinforcement
"If laughter is the best medicine let's take a double dose"
LeBaron & Alrich

Aaron J. Grier wrote:

if the mackie pre-amps are completely bypassed, am I wasting my time and
efforts in acquiring a ribbon microphone to run through my RNP and 1202?

I don't think so, but I also think I would route from the RNP straight
into storage, using the Mackie only for monitoring when necessary.