Jake

Default NADY mics

What do you think about these "toys"?
We(my band and I) are thinking to buy some tools to record a demo...
Don't tell me that they are Shangay mics...I KNOW IT!
I'd only like to know how they sound and if they are good enought for a
humble/honest demo.
I'm to buy the tube condenser mic(tcm 1050) and the drum kit (dmk-7)
So...which are your opinions?
Bye

Geoff Wood

"Jake" wrote in message
What do you think about these "toys"?
We(my band and I) are thinking to buy some tools to record a demo...
Don't tell me that they are Shangay mics...I KNOW IT!
I'd only like to know how they sound and if they are good enought for a
humble/honest demo.
I'm to buy the tube condenser mic(tcm 1050) and the drum kit (dmk-7)
So...which are your opinions?

If they are all basically the same, just choose the cheapest from Nady,
Cascade, Marshall, Big Golden Lion, whatever .....

geoff

Harvey Gerst

"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote:

"Jake" wrote:
What do you think about these "toys"?
We(my band and I) are thinking to buy some tools to record a demo...
Don't tell me that they are Shangay mics...I KNOW IT!
I'd only like to know how they sound and if they are good enought for a
humble/honest demo.
I'm to buy the tube condenser mic(tcm 1050) and the drum kit (dmk-7)
So...which are your opinions?

If they are all basically the same, just choose the cheapest from Nady,
Cascade, Marshall, Big Golden Lion, whatever .....

geoff

They are NOT "all basically the same". At least, not IMHO.

Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.ITRstudio.com/
Scott Dorsey

Harvey Gerst wrote:
"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote:

"Jake" wrote:
What do you think about these "toys"?
We(my band and I) are thinking to buy some tools to record a demo...
Don't tell me that they are Shangay mics...I KNOW IT!
I'd only like to know how they sound and if they are good enought for a
humble/honest demo.
I'm to buy the tube condenser mic(tcm 1050) and the drum kit (dmk-7)
So...which are your opinions?

If they are all basically the same, just choose the cheapest from Nady,
Cascade, Marshall, Big Golden Lion, whatever .....

They are NOT "all basically the same". At least, not IMHO.

As far as I can tell, in most cases no two of them are the same even if
they are the same model. They are getting better about that and some
resellers are getting better consistency than others. But you still
need to audition them and make sure you know what you're getting even if
you have heard that model before.
Ron Charles

I agree 100% with both Scott Dorsey and Harvey Gerst, these mics are not at
all the same, even if they come out of the same exact Feilo owned factory.

As I already stated, I suggest looking around for an Apex 450 as I recently
bought one for $175 USD.

While I do not consider it a replacement for any of my AKG or Neumann Tube
mics, it sounds quite nice for the price. My TCM1050 is only about 85% as
warm (and does not capture the same rounded sound on lower frequencies) as
my Apex 450.

Ron Charles

"Jake" wrote in message
What do you think about these "toys"?
We(my band and I) are thinking to buy some tools to record a demo...
Don't tell me that they are Shangay mics...I KNOW IT!
I'd only like to know how they sound and if they are good enought for a
humble/honest demo.
I'm to buy the tube condenser mic(tcm 1050) and the drum kit (dmk-7)
So...which are your opinions?
Bye

Geoff Wood

"Ron Charles" wrote in message
I agree 100% with both Scott Dorsey and Harvey Gerst, these mics are not

at
all the same, even if they come out of the same exact Feilo owned factory.

So the ones with the same cases, grilles, specs, etc, have different what -
capsules ans/or electronics ?

geoff

Scott Dorsey

Geoff Wood -nospam wrote:
"Ron Charles" wrote in message
I agree 100% with both Scott Dorsey and Harvey Gerst, these mics are not

at
all the same, even if they come out of the same exact Feilo owned factory.

So the ones with the same cases, grilles, specs, etc, have different what -
capsules ans/or electronics ?

Most of the differences are cosmetic. From that factory, there are two
different sets of electronics that you can order, which you can get with
or without pads and with or without low cut. There are two capsule options,
one of which can do cardioid or omni, the other of which is cardioid only.
You can order that capsule with extra-thin diaphragms or the regular ones.
And you can order it with varying degrees of precision and selection of
manufacture. Some importers are also upgrading the electronics after they
arrive in the US.
Jake

"Ron Charles" ha scritto nel messaggio
If you can get a 1050 for under $225 USD its not a bad mic,

How does it work compared to a good dinamyc (a shure beta58 for example)?

but I prefer the
Apex 450 which is made in the same factory and costs around the same $$$$.
The drum mic kits are not too good IMHO.

Which entry level drum mic kits do you suggest?

Ron Charles

Thanks for the answer
Bye

ChuxGarage

Some of the Chinese mics sound wonderful. Others do not, even though they may
be the same make and model.

For that reason, I think you need to actually listen to the mic in question
before you buy it, and then walk out of the store with the mic you auditioned.
If they insist on giving you a "fresh one in a box," it may not sound like the
one you auditioned. Be warned.

Of course, actually listening to the mic in question is very hard to do by
mail. You should be prepared to return it and pay the shipping costs, if you
don't like what you get.

The better importers QC these things and they are reasonably consistant. The
guys who sell on price alone tend not to do that. You may get lucky and get a
great mic for $50-75. Then again, you may not.

Would you like to buy a lottery ticket?

Chuck

bs

Maybe you should try one of Studio Project mics.. eg. C1
There were lot of talks about this mics.. some even say it sounds like
Neumann.. and they seems to be very OK and they are pretty cheap...about 200
$

Harvey Gerst

"bs" wrote:

Maybe you should try one of Studio Project mics.. eg. C1
There were lot of talks about this mics.. some even say it sounds like
Neumann.. and they seems to be very OK and they are pretty cheap,about $200

Let's make one thing perfectly clear. Some of the Chinese mics are VERY good,
for a very low price. Out of all the Chinese and Russian mics I've listened to
(and I've listened to ALL the Studio Projects, Marshall, and Oktava mics), there
were exactly three models that had a sound "similar" to the sound of the large
old Neumanns.

By "similar", I mean that "bigger than life" sound that you get when you're
being cozy with a really good U47, but none of them were Neumanns, by any
stretch of the imagination. They got about 75 to 80% of the way there, when
used for the right voice, at the right time.

The Studio Projects C1 mic is a very nice mic at a reasonable price, but to
compare it to a Neumann U87 (as some do) is just plain stupid. It's a good
microphone, especially if $200 is all you've got, but that kinda hype doesn't
sit well with me. Will a lot of people hear a big difference between the C1 and
a Neumann U87 at first listen? Sadly, the answer is probably no. They might,
over an extended period of time, but less so side by side, in a casual listening
test.

These comparisons may be good for the manufacturers, and it may make a beginning
home studio hobbyist feel good about his purchase, but there is a difference.
That doesn't mean these mics aren't useful and will sometimes work as well as a
higher price mic, in the right setting. But be realistic about what you have.
They are NOT a Neumann, or a Schoeps, or an AKG C12, or a Telefunken.

Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.ITRstudio.com/
Nick B

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 11:24:36 -0400, Harvey Gerst wrote:

"bs" wrote:

Maybe you should try one of Studio Project mics.. eg. C1 There were lot
of talks about this mics.. some even say it sounds like Neumann.. and
they seems to be very OK and they are pretty cheap,about $200

Let's make one thing perfectly clear. Some of the Chinese mics are VERY
good, for a very low price. Out of all the Chinese and Russian mics
I've listened to (and I've listened to ALL the Studio Projects,
Marshall, and Oktava mics), there were exactly three models that had a
sound "similar" to the sound of the large old Neumanns.

Harvey,

Which 3 models?

Nick

http://www.songbirdofswing.com
Nick Busigin
Visit Our Indie Jazz CD Construction Project!
Harvey Gerst

"bs" wrote:

Maybe you should try one of Studio Project mics.. eg. C1 There were lot
of talks about this mics.. some even say it sounds like Neumann.. and
they seems to be very OK and they are pretty cheap,about $200

Let's make one thing perfectly clear. Some of the Chinese mics are VERY
good, for a very low price. Out of all the Chinese and Russian mics
I've listened to (and I've listened to ALL the Studio Projects,
Marshall, and Oktava mics), there were exactly three models that had a
sound "similar" to the sound of the large old Neumanns.

Harvey,

Which 3 models?

Keep in mind this is only my opinion. I felt the Octava MC012 body, with the
33mm Lomo head, the Marshall V67 (any color), and the Marshall V69ME came
closest to "that sound", IMHO. The T.H.E. KR-33A is also in that group, at a
little higher price. All of them, in close, give you that "bigger than life"
sound.

Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.ITRstudio.com/
Nick B

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 15:28:56 -0400, Harvey Gerst wrote:

Keep in mind this is only my opinion. I felt the Octava MC012 body,
with the 33mm Lomo head, the Marshall V67 (any color), and the Marshall
V69ME came closest to "that sound", IMHO. The T.H.E. KR-33A is also in
that group, at a little higher price. All of them, in close, give you
that "bigger than life" sound.

Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.ITRstudio.com/

Thanks Harvey, I'll check those out.

I'm also thinking of building the Royer modified MXL 2001 tube mic' from
Dave Royer's Tape Op article:

http://prosoundweb.com/recording/tap...mic_25_1.shtml

Nick
(who has champagne tastes, but a beer budget at present ;-)