Mon11

Default Best Preamp around $400 Part 2

Ok, I've done some more thinking about the preamp and the price i'm
willing to pay, etc. What are everyone's thoughts on the following
models: Presonus MP-20, FMR Audio RNP, Grace 101. Anyone have other
suggestions for a pre-amp in this price range? Also, what kind of
problems might I encounter if I get a used unit from, say, eBay?

Thanks,
Mon11
Bill Lorentzen

If you are buying just one, this won't help, but if you are looking for
multiple pres, or want to start with one and later expand, I would take a
look at Old School Audio pres. These are API style pres with Jensen
transformers, Dan IMHO, they sound wonderful. I have a rack of them, and
recently I tested them against a friends Grace rack, on an alto female
vocal, with a U87. While the Graces were nice, the OSAs were a bit ballsier
and had clearer upper mids. The Grace seemed to have some kind of distortion
or phase problem in this range.

They come in a rack, which you need to also buy, which is why buying just 1
is maybe not the way to go. But if you are looking to expand your arsenal in
the future, I highly recommend them. Also they have other models with
different transformers.

Bill Lorentzen

om...