R Krizman

Default Choir recording venue in L.A.

I'm looking for a place to record a 100 plus voice choir in Los Angeles. We're
considering everything-churches, concert venues and proper studios. We're
looking into Zipper Hall, but from the recordings I've heard there it sounds a
bit small and bright. Royce Hall is too expensive.

We need a room that has enough reverb to make it possible for people to hear
each other and to have a rewarding experience as singers (and therefore give a
good performance). OTOH, we don't want to wash out the group with a huge
church sound. To my ears most choir recordings are too thin and sibilant, and
lack character. This particular choir is a collection of mostly amateurs and
has a very distinctive personality (warm and embracing) that needs to be
captured in the recording. Also, I feel it is important to capture the correct
sonic ambience on the date, rather than count on adding it later. I've found
that in choir recordings it's always hard to make digital reverb "stick" in a
convincing way.

Any and all suggestions would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rick Krizman
EggHd

I'm looking for a place to record a 100 plus voice choir in Los Angeles.

I was very happy with the choir sound we got on The 1st AME Choir in the big
room in front at Ocean Way. It's a great sounding room.

---------------------------------------
R Krizman

I'm looking for a place to record a 100 plus voice choir in Los Angeles.

I was very happy with the choir sound we got on The 1st AME Choir in the big
room in front at Ocean Way. It's a great sounding room. BRBR

Yeah, I'm thinking we should go with a real studio this time. I haven't been
there in years. Think it can accommodate 100 people?

-R
R Krizman

R Krizman wrote:

I'm looking for a place to record a 100 plus voice choir in Los Angeles.

Any and all suggestions would be immensely appreciated.

Dodger Stadium? It worked for Fleetwood Mac! : )

Don
BRBR

I dunno, Don, they're only 6 people. We've got over a hundred.

-R
BEC

Try The Enterprise Studio J. Talk to Thom Brown, tell him I recomended you. It
has a beautiful live room, they actually sampled that live room for a preset on
that sony reverb unit that actually samples rooms.

John Norten

R Krizman wrote:

[...]

EggHd

Think it can accommodate 100 people?

That's a lot of peeps. Maybe the old A&M and now Henson studio A would work
well. The We are the world thing had a lot of people. that room sounds good.

---------------------------------------
R Krizman

Thanks guys,

-R
James Boyk

Perhaps the thin & bright sound you complain of is at least partly due
to condenser mikes? Try good ribbons (with *really good* preamps).

James Boyk
WNewitt

Try Herrick Chapel at Occidental College.

RB

Just as a suggestion, you might look into ice arenas also. My daughter's
school held their graduation ceremonies in one and, from what I've heard,
the acoustics weren't too bad. If you like, you can judge for yourself.
Here's a link to a recording of my daughter and about 9 of her friends
singing the school alma matter (they volunteered). I recorded it off of the
local cable access channel and the audio was cutting in and out over the
entire recording. I spent a couple hours editing it to fix the cut-outs, but
with the time I had, this is the best I could do.

If you like, here's the link:

http://home.twmi.rr.com/rburnett/song3.mp3

Good luck.

RB

It's one of the nicest alma matters that I've heard and I hope you enjoy
this very flawed recording.
"R Krizman" wrote in message
[...]

ScotFraser

Try Herrick Chapel at Occidental College.

Very live, with a resonant low end. Was not good for the marimba/violin duo I
recorded there, but could be great for choir.

Scott Fraser
normanstrong

The best choral recording I've ever heard was done in the Sacred Heart
Chapel of Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles. It's a recording
of music by Morten Lauridsen, sung by the Los Angeles Master Chorale.

Norm Strong

"R Krizman" wrote in message
[...]

EggHd

Studio 1 @ Cello is absolutely heavenly, as good as it gets.

That's the room in the east corner of the building that used to be Ocean Way or
am I mistaken?

---------------------------------------
Benjamin Maas

Loyola Marymount University- In Westchester between Sepulveda and Machester
(overlooking the cliff). You can see the chapel overlooking the Playa Vista
project. I think you're thinking of Mt. St. Mary's (where the LA Chamber
Choir sings).

Fred Vogler has done a couple Master Chorale Recordings (with orchestra)
there... The Argento Te Deum recording was done there as well... IMO, it
is probably the best sounding choral room in all of LA. His signal chain
included Schoeps mics on the choir (MK-21 caps), Neumann M50s and AKG
C-12VRs in front of the orchestra, Millennia and FM Acoustics Preamps, and
dB Technologies Blue Series converters.

--Ben

--
Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio

"R Krizman" wrote in message ...
The best choral recording I've ever heard was done in the Sacred Heart
Chapel of Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles. It's a recording
of music by Morten Lauridsen, sung by the Los Angeles Master Chorale.

Norm Strong

Is that the Chapel there in upper Brentwood, sort of behind the Getty

Center?
Or is it in Westchester?

Thanks,

Dave Martin

"R Krizman" wrote in message
Somebody suggested ice rinks. I don't know about that, but every time I

come
out of a long day at the AES show in L.A., that verb in the South parking
garage sounds sooo nice.

-R

But you'd be distracted by both the freeway noise and the homeless guys. But
then again, maybe some of the homeless guys have nice voices; it would be a
lot cheaper to give the homeless guy a couple of bucks to sing along than to
pay AFTRA scale - and have to deal with sopranos...

--
Dave Martin
Java Jive Studio

EggHd

It's the big room in the middle of the building right off the front
entrance.

With the linoleum floor kinda white ish?

---------------------------------------
EggHd

That's the one.

That's the one i was talking about.

---------------------------------------

R Krizman

But you'd be distracted by both the freeway noise and the homeless guys. But
then again, maybe some of the homeless guys have nice voices; it would be a
lot cheaper to give the homeless guy a couple of bucks to sing along than to
pay AFTRA scale - and have to deal with sopranos...

--
Dave Martin BRBR

Interesting that you should say that, as our next CD will be a benefit for a
homeless halfway house. After realizing that I no longer have any place on the
political spectrum I'm convincing a hundred people that we need to vote with
our voices and do what we can about our own homeland security. We (the Angel
City Chorale) were the featured choir at the Democratic National Convention,
but I'm sure the upcoming project will make a bigger difference.

And yes, we are hoping to find some talent at the shelter to sing along with
us.

Maybe we SHOULD use the parking garage.

-R
Mark Stebbeds

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 08:36:12 GMT, "RB" wrote:

Just as a suggestion, you might look into ice arenas also. My daughter's
school held their graduation ceremonies in one and, from what I've heard,
the acoustics weren't too bad.

Especially if you like the loudest air conditioning and cooling
systems on the planet on your recording.

Mark

Mark Stebbeds

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 11:53:28 -0500, "Dave Martin"
wrote:

it would be a
lot cheaper to give the homeless guy a couple of bucks to sing along than to
pay AFTRA scale

Many of the LA homeless are AFTRA and SAG members.

mark

Carey Carlan

Mark Stebbeds wrote in
:

wrote:

it would be a
lot cheaper to give the homeless guy a couple of bucks to sing along
than to pay AFTRA scale

Many of the LA homeless are AFTRA and SAG members.

mark

Dammit! I should NOT read RAP with a cup in my hand! Now I've got to
clean the keyboard again. It's even more funny because it's true.