Bruce J. Richman

Default Question re. Speaker Sensitvity

Assume all other variables except speaker sensitivity are held fairly constant:
(1) Listening Room the same, as is speaker placement and listening position.
(2) Source components and electronics will be the same for each of 2 speakers.
(3)
Both speakers are electrostatics as follows: (1) Speaker A = Full Range ESL
with panel size of 24"W x 48" H, with a rated sensitivity of 86 db, (2) Speaker
B =
Hybrid ESL with panel size of 18" W x 48" H (and 12" dynamic woofer). In each
case, speaker is driven by a 70 watts/channel amplifier. Room size is approx.
30' feet long x 15' wide x 10" high. Because of various logistical
limitations, speakers are placed along the llong wall, about 3-4' feet out from
back wall, and about 7 feet apart (from center oif panels). Listening position
is about 7-8' feet from speakers.

Should the 3 db sensitivity difference result in subjectively perceived
loudness differences at the listening position? I realize, of course, that
individual hearing differences occur. I am considering a number of different
ways of increasing volume at the listening position with Speaker A (which I
own), including increasing amplifier power to at least double, replacing the
panels with newer ones (mine are about 8-10 years old), looking into the
possibility of acquiring a higher gain preamplifier to drive the power
amplifier (both are tubed), adding a subwoofer to take some of the "load" off
of the main speakers, switching to Speaker B, and or finally, getting a
different full-range ESL (Quads obviously).

But before exploring further these other options, I thought I'd ask this basic
quiestion. All non-argumentative responses/comments will be welcome.

Bruce J. Richman