---MIKE---

Default The biggest "tweak" of all

A lot of you are convinced that the sound of your systems are effected
by such things as green pens, "hockey pucks", exotic cables etc. These
MAY have a slight effect but you should consider the things that have
the biggest influence on how your system sounds. I refer to such things
as: Temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, how many windows are
open (big effect on bass), How many people in the room, mood, fatigue,
how much alcohol has been consumed, time of the day (fatigue again).
Basically, I am saying that the environment has a bigger effect than any
hardware tweaks you can make.

-MIKE

---MIKE---

Wylie, That's a little extreme. My point is that the sound of a system
will be in a constant state of flux because of environmental conditions.
The value of many tweaks would be hard to determine because of this. A
good system will sound good MOST of the time but probably not all of the
time.

-MIKE

Wylie Williams

"tim" said
my favourite free tweak is to cup my hands behind my ears - this
eliminates alot of the room's infuences, - you get a lot more detailed

sound and
a lot more treble, if in fact.

Strange you should say that. Several years ago someone marketed a pair of
clip on ears for audiophiles. Leather, I think, made for this very purpose.
I think it's probably a good idea and worth trying. But every time I think
of trying on a pair of "Ears" I suddenly visualize my wife's reaction at
the latest manifestation of audiophilia. I can only get as far as to see
her blinking rapidly as she works at maintaining a supportive wifely
expression before I banish the thought.
Wylie Williams
michael Mueller

Good point about environmental influences. I played the violin for 15
years and loved how much fuller it would sound when it was raining
outside. That extra moisture added to the warmth to the instrument. We
would add humidification sticks to our instruments to get that fuller ,
warmer sound during the dry days of summer.
Mike M