Posted to rec.audio.opinion
DW DW is offline

Default Anyone audition the TRW-17?

If so, what are your impressions? Could this be a revelation in the
high-end audio industry?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

DW wrote:

If so, what are your impressions? Could this be a revelation in the
high-end audio industry?

It's a fan !

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bob Bob is offline

The 5hz warp of a LP record is stunning at 115db.

DW wrote:
If so, what are your impressions? Could this be a revelation in the
high-end audio industry?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
Bill Riel wrote:
DW wrote:

If so, what are your impressions? Could this be a revelation in the
high-end audio industry?

It's a fan !

Heh, sure looks like one.

From the description I'm not so sure that this is something I'd want.
Conventional subwoofers do a pretty decent job imo. Turning my entire
attic (or a dedicated room) into a sub would probably just annoy my
neighbors!

Admittedly I am not a real bass head though...

As far as I can see it just creates a draught !

EV used to make the fabulous 30W woofer with an Fs of 15Hz IIRC ! The data
sheet
includes advice for wall mounting for example !

EV have done some crazy things over the years and this was one of their
nuttiest. Bless them !

The 30W woofer was deeply flawed. The voice coil could only handle about a
60 watt amp without slowly frying.

Possibly the same voice coil as in the SRO-15 ?

The voice coil and magnetic structure
limited the Xmax to a few millimeters. I suspect that a modern 8" driver
could move about as much air.

If you consider the cone dia of ~ 6" vs ~ 28" that's a 22x ratio of cone area.

So a 30W with say 4mm Xmax would shift as much air as an 8" driver with an Xmax
of 88mm !

No contest really

Graahm

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in
message ...

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
Bill Riel wrote:
DW wrote:

If so, what are your impressions? Could this be a revelation in
the
high-end audio industry?

It's a fan !

Heh, sure looks like one.

From the description I'm not so sure that this is something I'd want.
Conventional subwoofers do a pretty decent job imo. Turning my entire
attic (or a dedicated room) into a sub would probably just annoy my
neighbors!

Admittedly I am not a real bass head though...

As far as I can see it just creates a draught !

EV used to make the fabulous 30W woofer with an Fs of 15Hz IIRC ! The
data
sheet
includes advice for wall mounting for example !

EV have done some crazy things over the years and this was one of their
nuttiest. Bless them !

The 30W woofer was deeply flawed. The voice coil could only handle about
60 watt amp without slowly frying.

Possibly the same voice coil as in the SRO-15 ?

I think the 30W was old when the SRO was new.

Ev's 30W was introduced in 1959.

If memory serves, the SRO series was introduced in the late 60s or early
70s.

The voice coil and magnetic structure
limited the Xmax to a few millimeters. I suspect that a modern 8" driver
could move about as much air.

If you consider the cone dia of ~ 6" vs ~ 28" that's a 22x ratio of cone
area.

I think you're being a little hard on the 8", but close.

So a 30W with say 4mm Xmax would shift as much air as an 8" driver with an
Xmax
of 88mm !

I've been thinking about what the Xmax of the 30w was, and it was more like
1 mm. 4 mm would be downright modern! A 8 inch speaker with a 22 mm Xmax
would be pretty exceptional, so maybe the better comparison would be a 12".