Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

Default Sound quality: download vs. CD

Has anyone here done a serious comparison between the sound of an iTunes
downloaded track burned to CD and a store-bought CD? What did you hear?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
SD SD is offline

On 7/27/2006 5:38 PM, Jenn wrote:
Has anyone here done a serious comparison between the sound of an iTunes
downloaded track burned to CD and a store-bought CD? What did you hear?

Depends what you play it on. If all you will ever do is listen to music
on your ipod with cheap head phones and never on a good stereo, stick
with itunes.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal Sander deWaal is offline

Jenn said:

Has anyone here done a serious comparison between the sound of an iTunes
downloaded track burned to CD and a store-bought CD? What did you hear?

On another note: what happened with your LP-to-CD transcription, and
the listening tests you planned?

--
"All amps sound alike, but some sound more alike than others".
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article ,
Sander deWaal wrote:

Jenn said:

Has anyone here done a serious comparison between the sound of an iTunes
downloaded track burned to CD and a store-bought CD? What did you hear?

On another note: what happened with your LP-to-CD transcription, and
the listening tests you planned?

I've transcribed several LPs now for use on the iPod and the classroom,
but haven't done a listening test. I just haven't gotten around to it.
I also have to figure out how to match the levels exactly to make the
test as valid as possible.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article ,
SD wrote:

On 7/27/2006 5:38 PM, Jenn wrote:
Has anyone here done a serious comparison between the sound of an iTunes
downloaded track burned to CD and a store-bought CD? What did you hear?

Depends what you play it on.

As implied by the question (concerning a track from iTunes burned to
CD), I'd be listening on a CD player.

If all you will ever do is listen to music
on your ipod with cheap head phones and never on a good stereo, stick
with itunes.

I do very little of my listening via the iPod (mostly in the car). What
I'm trying to determine is if music for sale from the iTunes music store
will sound the same as a purchased CD. While I generally wish to
support physical stores (both mom-and-pop locals and chains like Tower)
I can see that the convenience of downloading would sometimes be
helpful, but not at the expense of audio quality.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Jenn said:

On another note: what happened with your LP-to-CD transcription, and
the listening tests you planned?

I've transcribed several LPs now for use on the iPod and the classroom,
but haven't done a listening test. I just haven't gotten around to it.
I also have to figure out how to match the levels exactly to make the
test as valid as possible.

Save yourself that trouble, in the eyes of the borgs, it will never be
enough.
Just listen and compare, as you would under normal conditions.

--
"All amps sound alike, but some sound more alike than others".
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article ,
Sander deWaal wrote:

Jenn said:

On another note: what happened with your LP-to-CD transcription, and
the listening tests you planned?

I've transcribed several LPs now for use on the iPod and the classroom,
but haven't done a listening test. I just haven't gotten around to it.
I also have to figure out how to match the levels exactly to make the
test as valid as possible.

Save yourself that trouble, in the eyes of the borgs, it will never be
enough.

I know, and I admit that this has taken some of the urgency out as well.

Just listen and compare, as you would under normal conditions.

Good suggestion.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MINe 109 MINe 109 is offline

In article
,
Jenn wrote:

In article ,
SD wrote:

On 7/27/2006 5:38 PM, Jenn wrote:
Has anyone here done a serious comparison between the sound of an iTunes
downloaded track burned to CD and a store-bought CD? What did you hear?

Depends what you play it on.

As implied by the question (concerning a track from iTunes burned to
CD), I'd be listening on a CD player.

If all you will ever do is listen to music
on your ipod with cheap head phones and never on a good stereo, stick
with itunes.

I do very little of my listening via the iPod (mostly in the car). What
I'm trying to determine is if music for sale from the iTunes music store
will sound the same as a purchased CD. While I generally wish to
support physical stores (both mom-and-pop locals and chains like Tower)
I can see that the convenience of downloading would sometimes be
helpful, but not at the expense of audio quality.

I don't have any iTunes store downloads to compare, but you could use
the iTunes program set to the store's 128 AAC to rip a cd track and
compare that to the original.

To these ears, mp3 sounds fine for casual listening (which is all I do
with it) at 256 and AAC 128 sounds better than mp3 128.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article ,
MINe 109 wrote:

In article
,
Jenn wrote:

In article ,
SD wrote:

On 7/27/2006 5:38 PM, Jenn wrote:
[...]

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. I'm just too cheap to want to pay
$0.99 for some music I already have! ;-)

To these ears, mp3 sounds fine for casual listening (which is all I do
with it) at 256 and AAC 128 sounds better than mp3 128.

Thanks. I fear that I'm going to wish that the iTunes store downloaded
at better than 128, but the only way to know is to try, obviously.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MINe 109 MINe 109 is offline

In article
,
Jenn wrote:

In article ,
MINe 109 wrote:

In article
,
Jenn wrote:

In article ,
SD wrote:

On 7/27/2006 5:38 PM, Jenn wrote:
[...]

I won't show you my collection of Reiner Concerto for Orchestra
reissues!

To these ears, mp3 sounds fine for casual listening (which is all I do
with it) at 256 and AAC 128 sounds better than mp3 128.

Thanks. I fear that I'm going to wish that the iTunes store downloaded
at better than 128, but the only way to know is to try, obviously.

Grrr. Searching for "Elgar" made iTunes crash. I was going to look to
see if there are unexpected bargains, like four movement symphonies at
..99/movement.

Stephen

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article ,
MINe 109 wrote:

In article
,
Jenn wrote:

In article ,
MINe 109 wrote:

In article
,
Jenn wrote:

In article ,
SD wrote:

On 7/27/2006 5:38 PM, Jenn wrote:
[...]

LOL I'm with ya, bro. I have SO much repeated material, due to
collection obsessions. The most obvious for me is Fennell's recordings.
Because of our personal connection, I have to have EVERY release and
re-release. For example, here are my recordings of him doing The Stars
and Stripes Forever:

Sousa, J.P. Stars & Stripes Forever Fennell/CSW Telarc 80099
Sousa, J.P. Stars & Stripes Forever Fennell/CSW Telarc SACD 60639
Sousa, J.P. Stars & Stripes Forever Fennell/CSW LP/Telarc 10043
Sousa, J.P. Stars & Stripes Forever Fennell/EWE LP/Merc SRI 2-77010
Sousa, J.P. Stars & Stripes Forever Fennell/EWE Merc 416 147
Sousa, J.P. Stars & Stripes Forever Fennell/EWE Merc 434 334
Sousa, J.P. Stars & Stripes Forever Fennell/EWE LP/Merc 90105
Sousa, J.P. Stars & Stripes Forever Fennell/EWE LP/Merc SR2 9131
Sousa, J.P. Stars & Stripes Forever Fennell/EWE alumni Live concert
CD

Straight from the Department of Redundancy Department! lol
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Jenn said:

[...]

Thanks Jenn for not realising the enormous, potentail of this material
to do, ABX tests with, Jen LOL! ;-)

--
"All amps sound alike, but some sound more alike than others".

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MINe 109 MINe 109 is offline

In article
,
Jenn wrote:

[...]

I try to meet only people who don't record much! The Naxos guitar series
has many Austin connected performers, leading to impulse buying.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article ,
MINe 109 wrote:

In article
,
Jenn wrote:

[...]

LOL Good idea! I wish that I had had more time while in Austin to
check out the local music scene. I hear that it's great.

--
REMOVE thepresentadministration to reply

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Jenn" wrote in message
Sander deWaal wrote:

Jenn said:

Has anyone here done a serious comparison between the sound of an iTunes
downloaded track burned to CD and a store-bought CD? What did you hear?

I have. They weren't iTunes, but they were mp3, wma and ATRAC recordings of
various compression ratios. Results?

On piano music, nobody could hear any difference at all between CD and
compressed recordings, even when compressed 50:1 !
Choral music suffered much more from compression. Anything greater than
10:1 was evident.

Norm Strong

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

"Jenn" wrote in message
Sander deWaal wrote:

Jenn said:

Has anyone here done a serious comparison between the sound of an iTunes
downloaded track burned to CD and a store-bought CD? What did you hear?

I have. They weren't iTunes, but they were mp3, wma and ATRAC recordings of
various compression ratios. Results?

On piano music, nobody could hear any difference at all between CD and
compressed recordings, even when compressed 50:1 !
Choral music suffered much more from compression. Anything greater than
10:1 was evident.

Norm Strong

Thanks Norm.

--
REMOVE your capo to reply

Just for Ludovic Audio Opinions 64 November 19th 05 04:17 PM
enhancing early reflections? [email protected] Pro Audio 4 April 28th 05 05:51 PM
Some Mixing Techniques kevindoylemusic Pro Audio 78 February 16th 05 07:51 AM
Creating Dimension In Mixing- PDF available on Request (112 pages0 kevindoylemusic Pro Audio 14 February 14th 05 05:58 PM