Daniel

Default Dual turntable question

I'd like to try vinyl again and am thinking about buying a vintage
Dual turntable like I had from 1972-1978. They all look pretty much
alike, though.

I'm hoping one of the mavens can help me either I.D. the 'table I had
back then or, even better, help me sort out which would be the best to
buy today.

I'm aware these aren't the best turntables in the universe, but I
don't have the money to spend on something better. And I do have a box
of records I'd like to play.

I'm not interested in replies from anyone seeking to invalidate my
choice of buying a turntable, incidentally. I'm perfectly happy
listening to CD -- it's not an either/or situation for me. I just want
to listen cheaply to some records I know I'm never going to buy on CD.

TIA.
Daniel

MiNE 109 wrote in message ...
In article ,
(Daniel) wrote:

I'd like to try vinyl again and am thinking about buying a vintage
Dual turntable like I had from 1972-1978. They all look pretty much
alike, though.

I'm hoping one of the mavens can help me either I.D. the 'table I had
back then or, even better, help me sort out which would be the best to
buy today.

I'm aware these aren't the best turntables in the universe, but I
don't have the money to spend on something better. And I do have a box
of records I'd like to play.

I'm not interested in replies from anyone seeking to invalidate my
choice of buying a turntable, incidentally. I'm perfectly happy
listening to CD -- it's not an either/or situation for me. I just want
to listen cheaply to some records I know I'm never going to buy on CD.

This might get you started:

http://www.compassnet.com/concept/tableinx.htm

Stephen

Thanks, Stephen -

That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

Based on when I bought it, my turntable was likely the 1209, the
1215S, the 1216 or the 1218.

I wonder whether each model *always* had the same base, or whether the
bases were somewhat fungible. I know for sure my old Dual had a
up-sloping base with the "united audio" badge in the center, like the
models specified above. If the bases did differ some within model
numbers, my turntable might have been the 1219, which I see a couple
of on eBay.

Back in the day, were any Dual turntables better thought of than the
others? When I bought mine, all I knew was I wanted a Dual. I didn't
pay attention to different models. I probably bought the cheapest one
available at the time (Fall, 1972).

Thanks.
MiNE 109

In article ,
(Daniel) wrote:

MiNE 109 wrote in message
(Daniel) wrote:

[...]

By the early 80s, I know they had a whole range, from consumer to
audiophile. I was tempted by close-out deals at the end of the decade,
but was too broke to buy anything. $300 for compararable quality might
look pretty good today.

I had a hand-me-down 1200-something, too. I'm not up on the specific
models, but I wonder if the idler drive models are long-lasting. Mine
gave up the ghost when the autoreturn wore out, leading to tracking
problems. I think mine had some kind of autochanger, but I'm not sure
and if it did, I never used it.

The guy who passed down the Dual had a Mac receiver and some homebuilt
speakers. A month's salary for the Mac, but it lasted decades.

Stephen
Jacob Kramer

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:29:11 GMT, MiNE 109
wrote:

This might get you started:

http://www.compassnet.com/concept/tableinx.htm

Stephen

This is a related question, and I did look through the archives a bit,
but are there any helpful links for a friend who wants to add a
turntable to his system (NAD c740 + NAD cd player + B&W303)? I'm
thinking probably $500 budget.

--

Jacob Kramer

McEowen

This is a related question, and I did look through the archives a bit,
but are there any helpful links for a friend who wants to add a
turntable to his system (NAD c740 + NAD cd player + B&W303)? I'm
thinking probably $500 budget.

I bought one of these:

http://www.store.yahoo.com/decibelch...halmmf21t.html

I like it well enough, though in hindsight I think I should have gone for the
next model up (much nicer platter).
MiNE 109

wrote:

This might get you started:

http://www.compassnet.com/concept/tableinx.htm

This is a related question, and I did look through the archives a bit,
but are there any helpful links for a friend who wants to add a
turntable to his system (NAD c740 + NAD cd player + B&W303)? I'm
thinking probably $500 budget.

Depends on comfort with used tables. For new, the usual suspects are
Rega and the various brands of Czech: Music Hall, NAD, Pro-ject, etc.

The best bet is to cultivate a local store or repair place that sells
used equipment to steer you towards (or away from) the Dual, Thorens, or
Systemdek (or whatever) of your dreams.

Stephen
Joseph Oberlander

Daniel wrote:

Back in the day, were any Dual turntables better thought of than the
others? When I bought mine, all I knew was I wanted a Dual. I didn't
pay attention to different models. I probably bought the cheapest one
available at the time (Fall, 1972).

The best of the old series Duals, IMO, were the 1240-1260 series.
They make nice inexpensive, serviceable turntables. I had a 1257
and it was fine. The 1264 is better, though. It would make a nice
turntable for your setup.

The later CS series are good as well - but tend to cost a chunk
more money due to the automatic features. They do have less
rumble, though.

Thorens also made a number of good models.