someguy

Default Safe + Effective Way to Clean CDs?

What is the real story on cleaning CDs? I have heard all kinds of
conflicting rumors.

I bought one of those clam-shell "radial" cleaners and it left my CDs with a
haze that remained after the cleaning fluid dried and I could clearly see
the "sponge prints" of the radial cleaning circles that left marks after the
fluid dried.

Should I use distilled water + isopropyl alcohol? Will that "strip" vital
essential oils from the CD as it was said to do to vinyl?

Or how about mild soap and distilled water?

I do know to wipe gently outward in spoke style, but that is the only thing
that I am certain about.

What about those proprietary CD cleaning kits? Most of them look like they
came from the same factory and just have different brand labels on them.

Do audiophiles "in the know", have a better way to clean CDs?

Has anyone had the bad experience with hazing and residue from the
commercial cleaners? Or any luck removing it?

Any advice or suggestions would be very appreciated.