Studio Froombosch

Default V76 modification

Hello All,

I have some questions regarding hot-rodding of an '61 V76. It sounds very
gorgeous and thick compared to my own preamps (OPa 627 based) and the
behringer I still have. The behringer will be replaced soon with a Cranesong
spider and four channels of 1272 replica's

Cap-replacement
The caps inside this machine are all original and I am going to replace
them. When looking inside the V76, I found out that some Solen or Audyn
MKT/MKP would probably fit for the 2u and 4 u caps/ 400V in the
feedback/signal path. Is it good practice to use these caps or should I
replace these Elco's with Elco's?

Input caps
I also killed the caps and the coil that gave the limitation of 16 kHz. It
made the sound less dark. Is it also possible to kill the caps that protect
the input transformer for DC? In the V72 I could not find such a protection
and I guess these caps are killing some of its sound. Could this be the
reason why some people like the V72 more than the V76?

Kind regards,

Harrie
www.studiofroombosch.com

Primaudio

I have some questions regarding hot-rodding of an '61 V76.

Contact this guy; he's got all of the original tooling and design materials for
these units. He's probably the best authority.

http://www.tab-funkenwerk.com/

He's based in Seattle, Washington USA

Cap-replacement
The caps inside this machine are all original and I am going to replace
them. When looking inside the V76, I found out that some Solen or Audyn
MKT/MKP would probably fit for the 2u and 4 u caps/ 400V in the
feedback/signal path. Is it good practice to use these caps or should I
replace these Elco's with Elco's?

The Solens are very good. Use similar or higher voltage. Some people think
the 630/v solens sound best; but not if they won't fit.

Don't forget the power-supply electrolytics. Low ESR hi-temp Beyschlags are
what I would use. (they are still available as axials) You can up the value
by 50% here if you want, but more than that and you are just getting
diminishing returns and over-stressing the rectifier.

Harrie
www.studiofroombosch.com

Phillip Sztenderowicz
(free-lance tech-engineer based in New York)
Monte P McGuire

In article ,
Studio Froombosch wrote:
I have some questions regarding hot-rodding of an '61 V76. It sounds very
gorgeous and thick compared to my own preamps (OPa 627 based) and the
behringer I still have. The behringer will be replaced soon with a Cranesong
spider and four channels of 1272 replica's

Cap-replacement
The caps inside this machine are all original and I am going to replace
them. When looking inside the V76, I found out that some Solen or Audyn
MKT/MKP would probably fit for the 2u and 4 u caps/ 400V in the
feedback/signal path. Is it good practice to use these caps or should I
replace these Elco's with Elco's?

Wait... in the first paragraph, you state that the V76 sounds
gorgeous, then in paragraph 2, you talk about replacing all sorts of
components inside. Why touch it? Aren't you at least a little bit
afraid that you might not like the box once you mess around with it?

Regards,

Monte McGuire