Martin Martini

Default Yamaha NS-10's inline fuse modification

Hi guys.... I have recently pulled out my old Ns-10 monitors from
storage....I remember seeing in some pro studios a modifiaction to these
little gems that added an inline fuse to them....anyone have this
information or know where i can get it?

Peter Horowitz

if seen and heard this mod and it degrades the sound. would you want all of
your audio going through a tiny fuse. I dont think so. Invest in a good
power amp that wont distort and put out square waves.

"Martin Martini" wrote in message
Hi guys.... I have recently pulled out my old Ns-10 monitors from
storage....I remember seeing in some pro studios a modifiaction to these
little gems that added an inline fuse to them....anyone have this
information or know where i can get it?

Arny Krueger

"Martin Martini" wrote in message

Hi guys.... I have recently pulled out my old Ns-10 monitors from
storage....I remember seeing in some pro studios a modification to
these little gems that added an inline fuse to them....anyone have
this information or know where i can get it?

Inline fuse holders are common electronic store items. I think even Radio
Shack still stocks them.

The problem with external fuses is that one fuse has to protect the whole
speaker, and you lose the ability to use a smaller fuse that protects just
the tweeter. An associated problem is that all fuses are
temperature-dependent resistors. Small ampere-rated fuses have fast thermal
time constants, and their temperature tends follow low frequency signals.
This results in modulation of high frequency signals by low frequency
signals, also known as intermodulation distortion. I recollect an old AES
paper by Greiner measured this effect and found that it can amount to
several percent, an amount that might be audible at least some of the time.

It is better to fuse the drivers independently which requires internal
modifications for most speakers.

Note that speakers that have terminals for bi-wiring and/or bi-amplification
can be modified to use independent fuses for the high and low frequency
sections without the potential troubles of internal modifications.