Jon

Default thoughts on ta good door speaker?

I am looking to buy a set of 6.5" or 6.75" door speakers for my Nissan.

Anyone have a thought of what the best ones are out there?

I have a pair of the newer (2002 model I think) Kenwood 3-way 6x8s in my
Expedition, and I am very pleased with those. And at $80, they were not
priced too bad either.

Thanks
Jon
oregon

Jon

Sam Carleton wrote in message
On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 at 19:34 GMT, Jon wrote:
I am looking to buy a set of 6.5" or 6.75" door speakers for my
Nissan.

Anyone have a thought of what the best ones are out there?

I have a pair of the newer (2002 model I think) Kenwood 3-way 6x8s
in my Expedition, and I am very pleased with those. And at $80,
they were not priced too bad either.

Jon,

Your question is in league with: "What car should I buy, I like to
drive fast."

It is really up to you based on what you like and how much you are
willing to spend. I like quality components and don't mind paying
for them so I looked at Boston Acoustics, Diamond Audio Technology,
JL Audio, MB Quarts, and Polk Audio. In the end I have desided on
Boston Acoustics. There are many, many different brands of speakers
of different prices. As most folks would recomment, go to some
shops and listen to them to see what you like the best.

Sam

P.S. The URL for all the companies I listed can be found at my web
site: http://www.miltonstreet.com/~carleton/links.html

Yeah, thats what I figured. I just thought some folks here might have some
ideas as to what was better, and what to maybe stay away from quality-wise.
(manuf. quality)

Thanks
Jon

Paul Vina

The same person also told me that
the Sony speakers and amps where not very good compared to companies
that focused more on just audio like Alpine,

FYI, Alpine makes "a whole spectrum of electronics" just like Pioneer,
Kenwood, Eclipse, Panasonic and many others. Kinds kills that whole thoery.

Granted one should always question what comes out of a sales
person's mouth. Personally I feel that the companies like Sony (who
makes some outstanding products in my opinion, just not car audio),
Pioneer, Panasonic, have too much on their plate. They are in car
audio because people buy their products because of name recognition,
not quality.

Now that's just pure BS. Pioneer's Premier Reference line is some of the
best available at ANY price. The Same goes for Sony's XES system.

On the other hand, companies that are purely in the business of audio sell

their products because their equipment is
superior then the big name brands.

And what companies would those be? I can only think of a few who do audio
only.

That is just my take on things. I am not bashing Sony, Pioneer, or
Panasonic. I don't know much about the latter two, but I do know
that Sony is the top dog when it comes to high end video.

Actually, it sounds a lot like you're bashing. I think Sony's video lineup
is very limited and lacks variety. Pioneer ahs a great video lineup,
Panasonic has probably the best picture quality available. I'd have to say
that Alpine has the best interconnectivity and overall video lineup on the
market.

Paul Vina

Sam Carleton

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 at 02:07 GMT, Paul Vina
wrote:
The same person also told me that the Sony speakers and amps
where not very good compared to companies that focused more on
just audio like Alpine,

FYI, Alpine makes "a whole spectrum of electronics" just like
Pioneer, Kenwood, Eclipse, Panasonic and many others. Kinds kills
that whole thoery.

Man, oh man, I don't do real well at stating my case, do I? ...

Granted one should always question what comes out of a sales
person's mouth. Personally I feel that the companies like Sony
(who makes some outstanding products in my opinion, just not car
audio), Pioneer, Panasonic, have too much on their plate. They
are in car audio because people buy their products because of
name recognition, not quality.

Now that's just pure BS. Pioneer's Premier Reference line is some
of the best available at ANY price. The Same goes for Sony's XES
system.

Ok, so I am wrong again I am human hehehehe Now that you
mention it, I do hold Pinoneer's top end HDTV's in very high regard.
And if you will allow me, I would like to be the first one in line
to state that these elite, ultra expensive systems from Sony and
Pioneer are top notch! I was refering to the stuff that does not
cost a multiple grand to buy one peice

On the other hand, companies that are purely in the business of
audio sell their products because their equipment is superior
then the big name brands.

And what companies would those be? I can only think of a few who
do audio only.

Here again I did not make my case very well, did I? I guess I was
thinking about how companies like Sony, Pioneer, and Panasonic make
TV's, computers, video equipment that can cost into the millions of
US dollars, telephones, printers, computer monitors, VCRs, home
stereo systems, portable stereo systems of all size, video screens
that are 20 or 30 feet in diameter, the gamit of electonical
devices.

On the other hand, I went to Alpine's web site and they only seem to
make things for the car: Amps, speakers, head units, video systems
for the car, a navigation system, and two security systems.

The way I see it, Sony makes a huge amount of money in many, many
ways. Talk to anyone in the broadcast industry and they will tell
you that NOBODY can touch Sony when it comes the to equipment they
product for the TV folks. Just look at their web site, they sell
everything under the sun that is electronical! Personally I like
their TV's, the two TV's in my house that I bought are Sony and I
LOVE them! On the other hand, Apline has one focus, electonics that
goes into a car, not a house, not a football statium, not on someone
running down the street, nor ones office, simply the car! They have
one focus, the car.

so I guess I should have said companies that focus on just audio
and/or just car electronics, not just audio.

Oh, but to answer your question, who does just audio? Boston
Acoustics, MB Quarts, a/d/s/, just to name a few. But their focus
is more speakers then head units.

That is just my take on things. I am not bashing Sony, Pioneer,
or Panasonic. I don't know much about the latter two, but I do
know that Sony is the top dog when it comes to high end video.

Actually, it sounds a lot like you're bashing.

No, I have the utmost respect for Sony, in the area in which they
excel.

I think Sony's video lineup is very limited and lacks variety.
Pioneer ahs a great video lineup, Panasonic has probably the best
picture quality available. I'd have to say that Alpine has the
best interconnectivity and overall video lineup on the market.

Here you refer to Sony's inferiority, then speak of Alpine's
superiority. This leads me to believe that you are refering to Sony
car video. When I speak of Sony having the best video out there, I
am refering to things like the cameras that ESPN, ABC, FOX, etc, use
as sporting events, the video equipment that they use in their
studios, not what folks put in their car nor what folks put in their
homes. I am refering to the equipment that will cost you at least
$100,000 for a video camera that still requires a lens. Oh, Fuji is
the top dog of video lenses for these pro level cameras, by the way.

I am just a strong believer in going to a company for what they are
good at and going else where when someone else does something else
better. I cannot think of any other good examples off the top of my
head, but I am sure you know of some companies that have deviated
from what they really do best because they know their name
recognition will allow them to sell a product that is inferior to
their competitor's superior product. It is a very common practice.
Sanitarium

Looks like you already got the "Listen to them for yourself lecture".

So I'll spare you.

I just installed an infinity 6002i set in my old accord. I bought them
on sale locally paid a lot for them. I wasnt going to buy them from
Circuit city, but the sales guy was VERY helpfull. We walked out to the
parking lot with a floor sample and he let me fit it to the door cutout
to test fit it for diameter and depth. The door comes factory with 4"
speaks, so I had to modify quite a bit to get the 6.5 to fit.

I was going to buy them on E-bay for ~ $45, but felt guilty walking away
after that kind of service.

Anyways, I like the sound of these, the highs are crisp but to my ears
not overbearing. Yes the spatial acoustics are lacking compared to a
component set, but thats OK since I have a pair of kicker silk domes in
the AC vents. One last thing, I added 15-20 pounds of dynamat to the
door inner and outer and IMHO this helps improve bass response just a
little.

Garrett