Funkybot

Default Good Bass Practice Amp

Hey I'm looking to just pick up a small 15-30 watt bass practice amp, just to
keep around my bedroom so I can putz around on bass, maybe occasionally mic it
up to record demos along with a Sansamp. Question is, are any bass amps in
this range better than others? Does anyone have some favorties? I know about
the Vox T series and the Fender Frontman's (? or am I thinking guitar), and a
buddy of mind has a small Hartke that's not awful, I'm just wondering if
anyone here has some personal recomendations. I'm not looking for loud by any
means just something small that'll sound good with my P-Bass for practicing and
with a mic up on the grill every so often.
Mark Steven Brooks

Hartke Kickback 12"!
(Mark Steven Brooks/Elaterium Music)
Tod Treganowan

Hey Funkybot,

You can't go wrong with the SWR workingman's 12. A bassplayer I know
just got a used one on ebay, and he loves it. Sounds pretty good to me,
also.

I'm not sure what they are going for, but it is small, light, and sounds
good.

Tod

--
Tod Treganowan
University of Pgh

Please remove "spammski" from my email address to reply!

Mark

I guess it's relatively small, but I think it's more than the original
poster was wanting.... it has 120 watts, I think. I have one too, and it's
a decent amp.

I would look at the even smaller SWR Workingman's 10.... significantly
smaller and lighter.

"Tod Treganowan" wrote in message
Hey Funkybot,

You can't go wrong with the SWR workingman's 12. A bassplayer I know
just got a used one on ebay, and he loves it. Sounds pretty good to me,
also.

I'm not sure what they are going for, but it is small, light, and sounds
good.

Tod

--
Tod Treganowan
University of Pgh

Please remove "spammski" from my email address to reply!

BLCKOUT420

Vox T15 at Musician's Friend.$79.
Analogeezer

(Funkybot) wrote in message ...
Hey I'm looking to just pick up a small 15-30 watt bass practice amp, just to
keep around my bedroom so I can putz around on bass, maybe occasionally mic it
up to record demos along with a Sansamp. Question is, are any bass amps in
this range better than others? Does anyone have some favorties? I know about
the Vox T series and the Fender Frontman's (? or am I thinking guitar), and a
buddy of mind has a small Hartke that's not awful, I'm just wondering if
anyone here has some personal recomendations. I'm not looking for loud by any
means just something small that'll sound good with my P-Bass for practicing and
with a mic up on the grill every so often.

The little Ampeg BA series amps are the best combination of sound,
price, reliability to me....I think the BA112 is under $350. There is
also the BA110, and the BA115. The BA115 is kinda large, but my nephew
has one and that thing kicks loud enough to play with a band and
drumkit.

Another alternative would be the Gallien-Krueger Backline series.
These are very compact, I've been looking at the Backline 110 model,
it has a 10" and 70 watts, along with two channels and some other nice
features, it runs about $250 and there is a 112 model for just over
$300.

I like the GK's because the controls are on the front and they have
nice grills on them.

I have a friend that has the Fender Bass 25, it sounded pretty decent
but I like the Backline 110 better, it has more watts and they are the
same price.

Man kids these days have it made, when I started cheap bass amps truly
sucked...hell I paid $160 USED for a 50 Watt Kustom combo back when
Nixon was president and that thing sucked...no balls at all but it was
huge and weighed a ton.

Analogeezer