Matt Nye

Default Pioneer amp & Audiobahn sub?

I currently have a Pioneer GM-X942 amp & recently blew my Orion sub.
I ordered an Audiobahn AW1000Q sub to replace it, but am unsure as how
to wire it. The sub will take 600w rms with dual voice coils (300w
per coil). The amp says its 1-ohm stable (stereo) on pioneers
website, but does not list the ratings @ 1-ohm. The amp is rated at
300w rms x1 at 4ohm (mono-bridged). My question is, will my amp be
able to handle a 2-ohm mono load. No where on the specs does it list
it can or can not handle a 2-ohm mono load, but then again it is 1-ohm
stable in stereo. Im pretty green when it comes to amps & their
impedance laws, so bare with me.

I ordered the sub from crutchfield & the person who I spoke to told me
at first my amp would not be able to handle a 2-ohm mono load. Then
he put me on hold, came back & told me it would. Which didn't leave
me very confident. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Here are the specs for the amp;

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...9,1506,00.html

& the sub (10in model);

http://www.audiobahninc.com/products...Excursion.html

Matt Nye

Thank you for your reply. I feel a lot more comfortable wiring it in
parallel now. I have 2 other questions.

If I wire my Sub in Parallel, do I wire the coils directly to each
other, or wire each coil directly to the amp (which would be a major
pain)? Or do I wire each coil to the 1 connector in my box & wire the
connector to the amp? I would imagine these would all have the same
effects, I just want the least amount of resistance possible, which I
think would be achieved by wiring each coil right to the connector in
the box, then to the amp.

Lastly, If my amp can handle a 2-ohm stereo load, & it's rated at 300w
rms @ 4-ohm stereo, would it be safe to assume it would put out 600w
rms @ 2-ohm stereo? I've done some research & came up with the answer
of it depending on whether or not the amp had a regulated or non
regulated power supply. Is this correct, & if so what kind of power
output could I expect at 2-ohm stereo (if not 600w rms)? If that is
the case, the amp has a regulated power supply.

Thanks for all your input.
Paul Vina

If I wire my Sub in Parallel, do I wire the coils directly to each
other, or wire each coil directly to the amp (which would be a major
pain)? Or do I wire each coil to the 1 connector in my box & wire the
connector to the amp?

They're all the same electrically. It won't matter.

Lastly, If my amp can handle a 2-ohm stereo load, & it's rated at 300w
rms @ 4-ohm stereo, would it be safe to assume it would put out 600w
rms @ 2-ohm stereo?

Not necessarily. A lot of Sony amps would do 2 ohms mono, but made less
power because the amp went into current limiting. Your amp might do this as
well. I would try it as a 4 ohm mono load as well just to see what happens.

Paul Vina