Mark Hicks

Default PC beeping during audio playback in Sonar

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

Isn't that how SONAR works? By sending out beeps and listening for
reflections?

That one made me smile!
-Mark Hicks

Vince

I just double checked -- sounds are disable already. I've also checked my
event logs to see if I'm getting some sort of system error that I could be
addressing. Nothing there.

Is there a system utility around that can intercept calls to the beep
routine to help me trace (like you can with disk IO).

As I just said that, I started to realize that this is perhaps a discussion
I should move over to a microsoft group ....

I'd still appreciate any ideas anyone has.

(Joe Pacheco) wrote in
om:

Isn't that how SONAR works? By sending out beeps and listening for
reflections?

That one made me smile!
-Mark Hicks

Steven Myers

My first move would be to check with the manufacturer of my motherboard --
to find out the meanings of the various beep patterns.
If this has been suggested earlier in the thread, I missed it. Sorry about
that.

"Vince" wrote in message
5.13...
I just double checked -- sounds are disable already. I've also checked my
event logs to see if I'm getting some sort of system error that I could be
addressing. Nothing there.

Is there a system utility around that can intercept calls to the beep
routine to help me trace (like you can with disk IO).

Steven Myers

"John" wrote in message
Hell, my first move, since I use Sonar constantly, would be to pop the

case and
pull the leads going to that PC speaker.

I'd make at least a half-hearted attempt at doing what I suggested. Then I'd
do what you suggest.

chetatkinsdiet

What a way to wake up in the morning....log on to here and read a gem
like that from rivers....
love it!
hah
Ricky W. Hunt

"Steven Myers" wrote in message
. net...
"John" wrote in message
Hell, my first move, since I use Sonar constantly, would be to pop the

case and
pull the leads going to that PC speaker.

I'd make at least a half-hearted attempt at doing what I suggested. Then

I'd
do what you suggest.

Yes. As I mentioned in an earlier post this beep could be signaling that
something is wrong or getting ready to fail. Just "turning off the alarm" is
not a very smart move.

am

"Vince" wrote in message
5.13...
I just double checked -- sounds are disable already. I've also checked my
event logs to see if I'm getting some sort of system error that I could be
addressing. Nothing there.

Is there a system utility around that can intercept calls to the beep
routine to help me trace (like you can with disk IO).

As I just said that, I started to realize that this is perhaps a

discussion
I should move over to a microsoft group ....

I'd still appreciate any ideas anyone has.

Uh-oh!
If you are getting beeps while using the puter, the CPU is overheating and
the motherboard is trying to warn you.
If you have a P4 the speed will be throttled to half-speed, and if you are
using an Athlon, the computer will either shutdown or freeze if the
temperature gets above a certain amount.

Download, install and run Motherboard Monitor (MBM) to check your
temperature.

Check the following things:
(If you don't know anything about it, get someone knowledgeable to do it for
you.)
-check the heatsink and fan is securely fastened to the CPU.
-ensure there is heatsink goop in between cpu and heatsink.
-make sure the fan is running
-ensure temperature alarm is not set at a ridiculously low level eg. 50 deg
C is too low for most Athlons.

If there is still a problem, you may have either a defective CPU or
motherboard.

-m