Asterix

Default Sennheiser vs. Grado help

hi,

I own a pair of sennheiser hd497's which are very good but not very warm, so
I'm interested in trying out some GRado SR60's, unfortunately I would have
to buy them to try them out! I'm curious to know if anybody has any opinions
on how these two models compare. One thing to note is that I may be
upgrading to a portable headphone amp (this is a portable setup) which I
understand the Grado SR60's won't benefit from. thanks

paul packer

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 20:12:53 GMT, "Asterix"
wrote:

hi,

I own a pair of sennheiser hd497's which are very good but not very warm, so
I'm interested in trying out some GRado SR60's, unfortunately I would have
to buy them to try them out! I'm curious to know if anybody has any opinions
on how these two models compare. One thing to note is that I may be
upgrading to a portable headphone amp (this is a portable setup) which I
understand the Grado SR60's won't benefit from. thanks

If you're looking for warm you don't want the Grado SR60. All the
Grados, but especially the cheaper models, are noted for a certain
brightness that favours rock and can be wearing with other types of
music (I had the SR80). Rather than upgrade with a headphone amp why
not think about getting a better phone that doesn't really need an
amp, like the Sennheiser 555. Having owned the 497 (for a couple of
weeks) and being now the owner of a 595 I can tell you it'll be more
than a step up, it'll be a giant leap. And warmer.
Asterix

I have a pair of 580's and am very happy with them overall. They are warmer
and darker than the 497. Thanks for the advice about Grado, I go for a dark
sound for mostly aucustic instrument listening so I will stick with my
Sennheisers.