Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default Win 7 Networking WAS: What's the Verdict on Using Laptops forRemote

On 8/13/2011 3:05 PM, Les Cargill wrote:

There's ten-digit dialing here, and you have to guess if you
need a 1 prefix or not. Maybe if you memorized all the
exchange and
area code permutations, you wouldn't have to, but I am not
about
to do that. The cell phone network handles this just fine.

That's a billing issue resulting from "the breakup." When I
first got a cell phone, there was a difference between
"local" and "long distance" calls, though they were
delineated differently. If I was calling home from around
the block, I didn't have to dial 1 first, but if I was
calling home from another state I did, Now they charge
enough for all the calling plans that it's no longer
important to use every excuse to charge extra for a call.

Now, if I dial a call from home and don't dial 1 first when
necessary one of two things happen and I don't know which
one until I get my phone bill. Either it's really a local
call and it's charged as such or it's an in-state call and
there's a toll charge at some rate that I don't know. But if
it's out of state, I'll get an intercept telling me that I
must dial 1 before the number and I know clearly how much
per minute I'll be paying for the call which, at 3 cents per
minute, I don't really care. I'd use my cell phone for all
my long distance calls, but it doesn't work worth
doodlysquat in my house.

With respect to IP networking, it's not that significantly
different from Unix ( in terms of use cases for setup ).

Maybe so, but there are fewer real people who know about
Unix than know about Microsoft networking. What I know about
MS networking is just what I've learned from intuition
(tried what I thought would work and it did) or just
fumbling around.

stacks and
such always had compliance issues, but them's breaks. Unless
you
subscribed to certain newsgroups, that was largely unknown
anyway.

Fortunately, most people who set up home networks don't know
that this is what might be broken. Imagine if they had to
fix it. g

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff