Ben Bradley

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 19:10:22 -0400, "Todd McFadden"
wrote:

I am generally a Behringer fan, but this is outrageous:

Did you mean "I am generally NOT a Behringer fan"? That would make
more sense in context.

http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=2838

Quoting a paragraph (I hope the author doesn't SUE me...):

"My feeling is however that probably the tube is connected and run
very conservatively in order to prolong its life. Hence the heater
current is too small to make the tube glow."

This doesn't seem likely. If the heater is operated well below its
rated voltage, emission would surely be WAY down, so much that the
tube will be useless in a circuit.

" And if it doesn't glow, what would have been the point of putting it
on display? Hence the LEDs to compensate. Perhaps they were an
afterthought."

Does this site (record-producer.com) have any Behringer ads?
Perhaps a better question is:
DID this site have any Behringer ads?

Todd

Could we ALL (the article author, and all posters in this thread)
be named in the next Behringer lawsuit? Stay tuned for the next
episode of "As the CDR turns."

Bob Geary

"Todd McFadden" wrote in message
I am generally a Behringer fan, but this is outrageous:

http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=2838

Todd

Those things must be engineered to science-fiction-level tolerances -
it's not even that the light of the LEDs affects the sound (that would
be amazing enough in itself), but that the *energy generated by the
user's awareness of the LEDs* affects the sound.

Gotta get me some of that tech.

Ron Capik

Bob Geary wrote:

...snip..

Those things must be engineered to science-fiction-level tolerances -
it's not even that the light of the LEDs affects the sound (that would
be amazing enough in itself), but that the *energy generated by the
user's awareness of the LEDs* affects the sound.

Gotta get me some of that tech.

That's the acoustic placebo effect in action there. I believe
it's similar to never blind testing found in some other audio
forums, reviews, etc. Or in other words: who put the psycho
in psychoacoustics?

Later...

Ron Capik

Ricky Hunt

"Ron Capik" wrote in message

That's the acoustic placebo effect in action there. I believe
it's similar to never blind testing found in some other audio
forums, reviews, etc. Or in other words: who put the psycho
in psychoacoustics?

As much as I hate to admit it (and think it's total bunk) that's the only
thing that validates audio snake oil since we're talking enjoyment of art
which is totally subjective. So if a person believes something to be true,
it might as well be.

SSJVCmag

On 9/19/05 10:28 PM, in article ,
"Bob Geary" wrote:

"Todd McFadden" wrote in message
I am generally a Behringer fan, but this is outrageous:

http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=2838

Todd

Those things must be engineered to science-fiction-level tolerances -
it's not even that the light of the LEDs affects the sound (that would
be amazing enough in itself), but that the *energy generated by the
user's awareness of the LEDs* affects the sound.

Gotta get me some of that tech.

I have these great SonicMarvelOil speaker cables... You need them for your
studio monitors, only $300/ft just be sure that the arrows point towards
the SPEAKER end.

hank alrich

SSJVCmag wrote:

I have these great SonicMarvelOil speaker cables... You need them for your
studio monitors, only $300/ft just be sure that the arrows point towards
the SPEAKER end.

I've been told you can emphasize the backbeat by reversing those cables.

--
ha
Geoff@work

"Todd McFadden" wrote in message
I am generally a Behringer fan, but this is outrageous:

http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=2838

Todd

Well you certainly have 'starved plate' designs that give a sort of crass
tube effect without the cost of a real PSU (like most-if-not-all cheapo
tube pre's really are), but this would appear to be a 'starved filament'
design !!!

geoff

Ben Bradley

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 15:03:02 +1200, "Geoff@work"
wrote:

"Todd McFadden" wrote in message
I am generally a Behringer fan, but this is outrageous:

http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=2838

Todd

Well you certainly have 'starved plate' designs that give a sort of crass
tube effect without the cost of a real PSU (like most-if-not-all cheapo
tube pre's really are), but this would appear to be a 'starved filament'
design !!!

It could even be a 'starved vacuum' design, where the silvery area
around the getter has turned white. Would any buyer of this thing be
the wiser???

geoff

Ron Capik

"Geoff@work" wrote:

...snip..

Well you certainly have 'starved plate' designs that give a sort of crass
tube effect without the cost of a real PSU (like most-if-not-all cheapo
tube pre's really are), but this would appear to be a 'starved filament'
design !!!

geoff

Maybe they're going for a cold cathode sound to balance the tube's warmth.

later...

Ron Capik

david morley

Todd McFadden wrote:

I am generally a Behringer fan, but this is outrageous:

http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=2838

Todd

Wow! The author really has a bone to pick!
Does this matter AT ALL?
Now, if Behringer were selling it as a superb sounding unit with real
valve sound AND charging money for it, it would be nasty, but the bloody
thing costs $99!
What a ridiculous article...

hank alrich

david morley wrote:

Wow! The author really has a bone to pick!

He should've started with his own forehead.

--
ha
Agent_C

wrote:

I am generally a Behringer fan, but this is outrageous:

http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=2838

This is not at all unprecedented. Take a look at what Bob Carver does
with his Classic Vacuum Tube preamp:

http://home.nyc.rr.com/acidrock212/tube3.jpg
http://home.nyc.rr.com/acidrock212/tube4.jpg

He surrounds 3 tubes in a mirrored cage, with white LED's behind each
one. When you look through the front window, it's just a little more
dramatic.

I was not at all offended by it; I thought it was kind of cool.

A_C

Geoff@work

"Agent_C" wrote in message

He surrounds 3 tubes in a mirrored cage, with white LED's behind each
one. When you look through the front window, it's just a little more
dramatic.

I was not at all offended by it; I thought it was kind of cool.

Not 'hot' at all ? So much for thermionics...

geoff

Ben Bradley

wrote:

I am generally a Behringer fan, but this is outrageous:

http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=2838

This is not at all unprecedented. Take a look at what Bob Carver does
with his Classic Vacuum Tube preamp:

http://home.nyc.rr.com/acidrock212/tube3.jpg
http://home.nyc.rr.com/acidrock212/tube4.jpg

He surrounds 3 tubes in a mirrored cage, with white LED's behind each

They look like neon lamps to me, but yes, it's the same idea...

one. When you look through the front window, it's just a little more
dramatic.

I was not at all offended by it; I thought it was kind of cool.

A_C

Bob Quintal

Ben Bradley wrote in
:

wrote:

I am generally a Behringer fan, but this is outrageous:

http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=2838

This is not at all unprecedented. Take a look at what Bob
Carver does with his Classic Vacuum Tube preamp:

http://home.nyc.rr.com/acidrock212/tube3.jpg
http://home.nyc.rr.com/acidrock212/tube4.jpg

He surrounds 3 tubes in a mirrored cage, with white LED's
behind each

They look like neon lamps to me, but yes, it's the same
idea...

They are neither LEDS or Neon lamps. they are filament
lamps.like the ones made to illuminate VU meters. They are
probably operated on half their rated voltage, in order to
generate that orange glow.

--
Bob Quintal

PA is y I've altered my email address.

SSJVCmag

On 9/19/05 7:10 PM, in article , "Todd
McFadden" wrote:

I am generally a Behringer fan, but this is outrageous:

http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=2838

Todd

I AM LAOGHING LOUDER AND MORE EXHAUSTINHGLY THAN IN WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT A HOOT!!!!
(****... Where's the coffee...)

GOOD GOD MAN WHO COULD POSSIBLY BE SURPRISED BY THIS??????
I SWEAR... THE LEAPOARD'S SPOTS!!!!!

HEHEHEHEHHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOH
Wheeeeeoooo...
Gasp
Whew..
That's funny... Really truly funny...

Marvin Caesar and Greg Mackie are smilin' and noddin'...
But they're still not happy...

**And**
ESPECIALLY cuz it makes B-lovers get their panties all in a bunch:
I reitterate my oft-told annoying dead-horse who-cares little vow:
no Behringer gear will find it's way here unless I make some
Fletcher-insipred art out of it.... And I thing it'd have to be somethin
ACTIVE, y'know like those folks that build big Free Art Pieces out of Really
Dangerous Machinery that usually self-destructs spectacularly... ?
Maybe something to do with a rube-goldberg thing ending in an arc-welder and
a mix of LOX-&-Napthanol...

Fletch

McFadden" wrote:

[...]

I think the bottom line of this thing is the ethics of the positioning of LED's behind a tube which
if it were operating at proper plate voltage, wouldn't need the LED's, really.

If the tube is in there for a marketing reason more than a design circuit reason, the ethical
argument arises once again, right?

If a company is going to make the claim of "added tube warmth" or words to that effect, it becomes
an ethical issue again if it is a spurious claim.

I have older Behringer gear, gates and c/l's and they work great. And, yes, their customer service/
repair service is very proactive.

We bought the newer MDX4600 quad compressor and have problems with more than one unit, typically on
compressor #1 on two units. This speaks to build quality deterioration over the past ten years that
has concerned me greatly. So I have become skeptical of their newer products, too, because of our
experience with these units, and the trend of companies like Behringer, ART and Aphex to try to sell
lower end purchasers on the idea that their tube gear will give them something it is clearly
designed to not do, to function in the manner advertised. Another ethical problem, no?

Even in hybrid gear of higher quality, the tube is one of the stages, the transistors another
stage... but they both OPERATE properly.

Okay, okay, who ever said big business had to be ethical? That said, though, if a company wants to
survive, they need to be honest about what their stuff does, right? But integrity is something we
all claim to adhere to, and want other to adhere to as well. So when a company is not being ethical
and operating absent integrity, it is our prerogative to boycott ever buying anything from them
again, new stuff that is, which does not meet the criteria we expect in equipment (or whatever they
manufacture/market/sell) until they reform their method of operation and clean up their act and
regain the "trust" of the consumer, whether in the professional arena or lower levels of the
purchasing food chain.

--fletch
Geoff@work

"Fletch" wrote in message

I think the bottom line of this thing is the ethics of the positioning of
LED's behind a tube which if it were operating at proper plate voltage,
wouldn't need the LED's, really.

So it really should be marlketed at a LED preamp. And the tube place BEHIND
the LEDs !

geoff

Les Cargill

Todd McFadden wrote:

I am generally a Behringer fan, but this is outrageous:

http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=2838

Todd

At least the tube is disconnected.

--
Les Cargill
Tim Martin

"Les Cargill" wrote in message

At least the tube is disconnected.

No, it's part of the circuit. If it weren't, you can be sure the author of
the article would have jumped at the opportunity to tell us. But telling us
the circuit stopped working when he removed the tube would have reduced the
sensation in his article.

Let's face it, "Behringer tube pre-amp stops working when tube is removed"
isn't much of a story, is it?

Tim

Tim Martin

"Chevdo" wrote in message

The author may have had no idea how to
remove it from the circuit or did not want to damage the equipment if he

is
electronics-naive, or simply didn't want to void his warranty

You're insulting the engineer. No* engineer who deals with audio electronics
is going to be incapable of removing a tube!

But if the author wanted to be disingenuous in the manner you are

describing,
he wouldn't have mentioned that disconnecting the tube would be the next

step
in determining whether the tube is actually being used in the circuit.

Well, he did mention it. He had to, otherwise it might not have occurred to
people that the tube did nothing.

Tim

danger

wrote:

I am generally a Behringer fan, but this is outrageous:

http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=2838

Todd

I find it interesting that no one has checked to see if there was any
heater or plate voltage on the socket? To even give them the benifit
of the doubt. before every one is up in arms.

I am not supporting them. God knows what a reputation the company has
for ripping off designs.

Just think we need more facts before we hang em!
GregS

wrote:

I am generally a Behringer fan, but this is outrageous:

http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=2838

Todd

I find it interesting that no one has checked to see if there was any
heater or plate voltage on the socket? To even give them the benifit
of the doubt. before every one is up in arms.

I am not supporting them. God knows what a reputation the company has
for ripping off designs.

Just think we need more facts before we hang em!

And measure the filiment voltage and see if all these claims
are true or false about filiment brightness.

greg

Chevdo

In article , says...

I am generally a Behringer fan, but this is outrageous:

http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=2838

Todd

Hey they probably read Stereophile Magazine and figured the average sucker is
begging to get ripped off.