Posted to rec.audio.pro
adam79 adam79 is offline

Default Pro Tools Simultaneous Recording

I'm thinking about getting the 003 Rack+, but I'm hesitant to buy it
since it's non-refundable (do to the included software). I want to keep
it, but I'm not sure if my computer will be able to handle the full
capabilities of the unit (recording 8 tracks simultaneously). I have a
MacBook Pro.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB (Two 2 GB sticks. Type: DDR2 SDRAM, Speed: 667 MHz)
Bus Speed: 800 MHz

The system Hard Drive is a Serial-ATA, 7200 RPM Hitachi; here are the specs:

I have a couple external HDs that I use to record the tracks onto. I
have an older Parallel-ARA StorCase Rhino Jr that I believe is 5400 RPM,
and a newer Western Digital HD that is 7200 RPMs.

Should this be enough to record 8 tracks at once? As well as a decent
amount of tracks for playback (I know that it depends on the types of
plug-ins used and how dense the track is, etc.)?

Thanks,
-Adam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

adam79 wrote:

[...]

Yes.

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 23:24:57 -0400, hank alrich wrote
(in article ):

adam79 wrote:

Should this be enough to record 8 tracks at once? As well as a decent
amount of tracks for playback (I know that it depends on the types of
plug-ins used and how dense the track is, etc.)?

Yes.

and, yes.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 18:00:37 -0400, Ty Ford wrote
(in article ET):

adam79 wrote:

Should this be enough to record 8 tracks at once? As well as a decent
amount of tracks for playback (I know that it depends on the types of
plug-ins used and how dense the track is, etc.)?

Yes.

and, yes.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

However, with PTLE you don't get effects until you play back, so if you HAVE
TO HAVE effects on vocals or instruments while recording, you have to be a
bit creative with headphone monitoring.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
adam79 adam79 is offline

Ty Ford wrote:

However, with PTLE you don't get effects until you play back, so if you HAVE
TO HAVE effects on vocals or instruments while recording, you have to be a
bit creative with headphone monitoring.

Yeah, this is really annoying; the HD version dos effects while
recording? When you say that "you HAVE TO HAVE effects on vocals or
instruments while recording," you are talking about an outboard effect,
right?

Thanks,
-Adam

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 03:47:14 -0400, adam79 wrote
(in article ):

Ty Ford wrote:

However, with PTLE you don't get effects until you play back, so if you
HAVE
TO HAVE effects on vocals or instruments while recording, you have to be a
bit creative with headphone monitoring.

Yeah, this is really annoying; the HD version dos effects while
recording? When you say that "you HAVE TO HAVE effects on vocals or
instruments while recording," you are talking about an outboard effect,
right?

Thanks,
-Adam

Adam,

I think the PT HD does have effects while recording, but you should ask for
clarification on that.

"Have To Have", as in some folks can't sing or play without soup. If you want
the take clean so you can do what you want to later, the best work around
there is to figure out how to soup up their headphone mix (for them) with an
extra mixer and outboard effects, while recording them dry.

I'm not trying to take anything away from a player who has a pedal board, but
I do remember this guy who was all about "his tone", which took him 20
minutes to find and it was absolutely horrible and would never have fit into
the mix we had going.

I'm sure there are players who can wrap their heads around their tone and put
it into context. That was not this guy. He was a train wreck.

I did record him and thanks to PTLE EQ in the digital world, I was able to
make it work, but I had not EVER used that drastic an EQ on anything before.

As an after thought, you can also re-amp a track while mixing. Squirt the dry
track out of PTLE to an amp, mic the amp, get crazy with the tone, record
that, or just mix it as you go.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

adam79 wrote:
I'm thinking about getting the 003 Rack+, but I'm hesitant to buy it
since it's non-refundable (do to the included software).

You need a better dealer. The software does you no good
without the hardware (it won't run with anything else) and
your dealer can get fresh disks if he doesn't want to
re-sell it "open."

Should this be enough to record 8 tracks at once?

Child's play.

of audio." - John Watkinson

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[...]

is this a joke? 8 tracks was within the capability of a mid-sized, not
specifically built-for-audio PC of the late '90s
Yes you can do this with your macbook if you are not overloading the
machine with foreign processes as photoshop, youtube, action games,
itunes or exchanging files with your cellphone via bluetooth and so on
while you are recording...
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean Conolly Sean Conolly is offline

"alex" wrote in message
[...]

Which sort of begs the question - why use Protools LE at all? (considering
the other posts by the OP)

If you don't have clients asking for protools, maybe start out with Reaper
and the 100 or so included plugins to see figure out how to do what you need
to do, and then consider the difference between 'what you need' from 'what
you want'.

For those who are starting out: start out cheap/free and buy what you need
*after* you really understand the need.

Sean

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 01:20:09 -0400, Sean Conolly wrote
(in article ):

Which sort of begs the question - why use Protools LE at all? (considering
the other posts by the OP)

1. It's a solid system that works reliably and has a good feature set.
2. It empowers me so I can make a living.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
cedricl[_2_] cedricl[_2_] is offline

On Aug 5, 8:30*am, Ty Ford wrote:
On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 01:20:09 -0400, Sean Conolly wrote
(in article ):

Which sort of begs the question - why use Protools LE at all? (considering
the other posts by the OP)

1. It's a solid system that works reliably and has a good feature set.
2. It empowers me so I can make a living.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Acting and Voiceover Demoshttp://www.tyford.com
Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

That might be a great answer for you, but, is that the same answer for
adam79, the original poster? Recommending a free program with free
plug-ins seems to be a good choice for someone who, just from his
post, has not given an indication that he's making a living (could be
a home studio hobby) or has clients who request Pro Tools. So, until
adam79 replies, the question still begs.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil Nil is offline

On 05 Aug 2010, cedricl wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

That might be a great answer for you, but, is that the same answer
for adam79, the original poster? Recommending a free program with
free plug-ins seems to be a good choice for someone who, just from
his post, has not given an indication that he's making a living
(could be a home studio hobby) or has clients who request Pro
Tools. So, until adam79 replies, the question still begs.

Reaper isn't free. It's free to try, but it costs (a mere) $60 for non-
professional use if you decide to keep it. It costs a couple hundred $s
for pro use.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 13:15:46 -0400, cedricl wrote
(in article
):

On Aug 5, 8:30*am, Ty Ford wrote:
On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 01:20:09 -0400, Sean Conolly wrote
(in article ):

Which sort of begs the question - why use Protools LE at all? (considering
the other posts by the OP)

1. It's a solid system that works reliably and has a good feature set.
2. It empowers me so I can make a living.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Acting and Voiceover Demoshttp://www.tyford.com
Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

That might be a great answer for you, but, is that the same answer for
adam79, the original poster? Recommending a free program with free
plug-ins seems to be a good choice for someone who, just from his
post, has not given an indication that he's making a living (could be
a home studio hobby) or has clients who request Pro Tools. So, until
adam79 replies, the question still begs.

Well, whoever your name is, I'll disagree,

The question I was answering is why use ProTools at all.

There are thousands of people with PTLE who use it for their personal
gratification. The free stuff, inculding Pro Tools Free when it was available
for mac OS 9, are so shackled that they just aren't any fun. So much so that
they will absolutely dissuade the entry level person from going further.

I know, I've tried 'em. Audacity is like trying to **** standing up in a
hammock while doing a crossword puzzle and reading the Times, by comparison.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean Conolly Sean Conolly is offline

"Ty Ford" wrote in message
al.NET...
On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 01:20:09 -0400, Sean Conolly wrote
(in article ):

Which sort of begs the question - why use Protools LE at all?
(considering
the other posts by the OP)

1. It's a solid system that works reliably and has a good feature set.
2. It empowers me so I can make a living.

That's good to hear Ty, but the OP has stated that he's just starting a home
studio in other posts, which is what motivated my comment.

I see a lot of inexperienced people who assume that they have to use PT and
commercial plugins, and I'm just pointing out an alternative for building up
your chops before commiting to a lot of expensive software.

Sean

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 09:16:36 -0400, Sean Conolly wrote
(in article ):

"Ty Ford" wrote in message
al.NET...
On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 01:20:09 -0400, Sean Conolly wrote
(in article ):

Which sort of begs the question - why use Protools LE at all?
(considering
the other posts by the OP)

1. It's a solid system that works reliably and has a good feature set.
2. It empowers me so I can make a living.

That's good to hear Ty, but the OP has stated that he's just starting a home
studio in other posts, which is what motivated my comment.

I see a lot of inexperienced people who assume that they have to use PT and
commercial plugins, and I'm just pointing out an alternative for building up
your chops before commiting to a lot of expensive software.

Sean

Sean,

Why are you posting twice with no name and then a name?

I expect it depends on where you want to put the threshold.
I gambled (and won) that CPUs and other processors would become fast enough
to keep me from having to buy the "real" pro tools system. So far, I'm right.
To the OP. If you're going to jump into the pool I recommend against any box
that's a USB box. The latency work arounds suck and you'll be frustrated.
Go with a firewire interface and pay attention to what the software/hardware
company says about the config of the computer they spec to run the system
properly. Every person I know who has tried to skimp on that has ended up
burned.

As I tell them through their tears, "It's not like the company didn't tell
you. They did. You decided you were smarter. You weren't."

A basic Digi 003 (firewire) goes for about a grand right now. Can you go
cheaper? Sure. Go ahead. Please go cheaper.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
adam79 adam79 is offline

Sean Conolly wrote:

That's good to hear Ty, but the OP has stated that he's just starting a home
studio in other posts, which is what motivated my comment.

I see a lot of inexperienced people who assume that they have to use PT and
commercial plugins, and I'm just pointing out an alternative for building up
your chops before commiting to a lot of expensive software.

Just because I'm deciding to start a recording business now doesn't mean
I just started recording. I've been at this for over 10 years, the last
couple with Pro Tools, so I'm familiar with the software.

I'm also looking for quality, and Pro Tools has it.

-Adam