Asterix

Default Sennheiser vs. Grado help

hi,

I own a pair of sennheiser hd497's which are very good but not very warm, so
I'm interested in trying out some GRado SR60's, unfortunately I would have
to buy them to try them out! I'm curious to know if anybody has any opinions
on how these two models compare. One thing to note is that I may be
upgrading to a portable headphone amp (this is a portable setup) which I
understand the Grado SR60's won't benefit from. thanks

paul packer

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 20:12:53 GMT, "Asterix"
wrote:

hi,

I own a pair of sennheiser hd497's which are very good but not very warm, so
I'm interested in trying out some GRado SR60's, unfortunately I would have
to buy them to try them out! I'm curious to know if anybody has any opinions
on how these two models compare. One thing to note is that I may be
upgrading to a portable headphone amp (this is a portable setup) which I
understand the Grado SR60's won't benefit from. thanks

If you're looking for warm you don't want the Grado SR60. All the
Grados, but especially the cheaper models, are noted for a certain
brightness that favours rock and can be wearing with other types of
music (I had the SR80). Rather than upgrade with a headphone amp why
not think about getting a better phone that doesn't really need an
amp, like the Sennheiser 555. Having owned the 497 (for a couple of
weeks) and being now the owner of a 595 I can tell you it'll be more
than a step up, it'll be a giant leap. And warmer.
paul packer

Don't know if the following will be any help, but I saw a review of
many Sennheiser and Beyer headphones yesterday at:

www.head-fi.org

If you buy the SR60's and don't like them, you can always return them
to the dealer or sell them on eBay.

I've had the SR80's for many years and like them a lot. I haven't
heard the Sennheiser HD497's, but in general I'd say Sennheisers are
more comfortable than Grados, so I tend to use my Sennheisers (all
older, discontinued models) a little more than my Grados. For me,
comfort is the most important issue--if they're not comfortable, I
find I don't use 'em. The Grados are comfy enough, but the Sennheiser
are a little more comfy, in general. YMMV.

Head-fi is indeed a good place to start, as the posters have all lived
with the equipment and the multiple comparisons are such as you'll
never get on any review site. I contribute regularly there, which is
probably no recommendation at all.
As for comfort, it's certainly important and the Senns are
definitely more comfortable than the Grados (which to me feel like a
Spanish Inquisition leftover). But no matter how comfortable a phone
is, if it sounds like crap you won't wear it except as an ear-warmer.
Take account of both factors equally.
Joseph Oberlander

N wrote:
"Asterix" wrote in message ...

hi,

I own a pair of sennheiser hd497's which are very good but not very warm, so
I'm interested in trying out some GRado SR60's, unfortunately I would have
to buy them to try them out! I'm curious to know if anybody has any opinions
on how these two models compare. One thing to note is that I may be
upgrading to a portable headphone amp (this is a portable setup) which I
understand the Grado SR60's won't benefit from. thanks

Save up for the 80s. Not a lot more money, but a HUGE improvement.

paul packer

Save up for the 80s. Not a lot more money, but a HUGE improvement.

Don't forget that Asterix complained that the Senn 497 was "not very
warm". Assuming he wasn't talking about the phones' ability to heat
his lugs, I would suggest that Grado (known to the sensitive as
"Grato") is not the direction he wishes to go in. I could be wrong.

Asterix

I have a pair of 580's and am very happy with them overall. They are warmer
and darker than the 497. Thanks for the advice about Grado, I go for a dark
sound for mostly aucustic instrument listening so I will stick with my
Sennheisers.