PDA

View Full Version : adding an amplifier -help!

brandt
July 23rd 03, 06:27 AM
Hi all--
I presently have a yamaha dsp-a1 and 4 surround speakers and sub. My
mains are 2 magnepan mmg's (7 speakers total including sub). I would
like to upgrade by using my yamaha as a preamp for music only. I will
not be buying a separate preamp I will be using the dsp a1, unless
this is a totally bad idea. How would I go about setting this up?
Would the amplifier still power my maggies for movies? Would they
match well soundwise? What are good matches for the mags? I would
like to keep it under $400, was thinking about the marantz ma-500, but
would be willing to get a used amp if I knew decent brands or
sizes/models for my situation. Any help is greatley appreciated.
Thanks alot--

Robert Morein
July 23rd 03, 06:37 AM
"brandt" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi all--
> I presently have a yamaha dsp-a1 and 4 surround speakers and sub. My
> mains are 2 magnepan mmg's (7 speakers total including sub). I would
> like to upgrade by using my yamaha as a preamp for music only. I will
> not be buying a separate preamp I will be using the dsp a1, unless
> this is a totally bad idea. How would I go about setting this up?
> Would the amplifier still power my maggies for movies? Would they
> match well soundwise? What are good matches for the mags? I would
> like to keep it under $400, was thinking about the marantz ma-500, but
> would be willing to get a used amp if I knew decent brands or
> sizes/models for my situation. Any help is greatley appreciated.
> Thanks alot--

It will be better.
Not as good as with a good 2 channel preamp, but definitely better. I say
that as someone who owns a DSP-A1.
I recently saw a Hafler 9500 on rec.audio.marketplace for $400. Excellent
choice.
Others: Hafler XL-600 (has fan, but truely remarkable), Hafler XL-280, y of
the bigger Parasound amps, any of the Adcom MOSFET amps.
The above amps have the muscle Maggies need.
I suggest you skip the Marantz, and go used, because you can get more muscle
for the buck.

brandt
July 24th 03, 12:08 AM
"Robert Morein" > wrote in message >...
> "brandt" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Hi all--
> > I presently have a yamaha dsp-a1 and 4 surround speakers and sub. My
> > mains are 2 magnepan mmg's (7 speakers total including sub). I would
> > like to upgrade by using my yamaha as a preamp for music only. I will
> > not be buying a separate preamp I will be using the dsp a1, unless
> > this is a totally bad idea. How would I go about setting this up?
> > Would the amplifier still power my maggies for movies? Would they
> > match well soundwise? What are good matches for the mags? I would
> > like to keep it under $400, was thinking about the marantz ma-500, but
> > would be willing to get a used amp if I knew decent brands or
> > sizes/models for my situation. Any help is greatley appreciated.
> > Thanks alot--
>
> It will be better.
> Not as good as with a good 2 channel preamp, but definitely better. I say
> that as someone who owns a DSP-A1.
> I recently saw a Hafler 9500 on rec.audio.marketplace for $400. Excellent
> choice.
> Others: Hafler XL-600 (has fan, but truely remarkable), Hafler XL-280, y of
> the bigger Parasound amps, any of the Adcom MOSFET amps.
> The above amps have the muscle Maggies need.
> I suggest you skip the Marantz, and go used, because you can get more muscle
> for the buck.

What about the hookup? OI have heard itwill be a pain to switch
between video and audio. How would I set it up?

Robert Morein
July 24th 03, 01:40 AM
"brandt" > wrote in message
om...
> "Robert Morein" > wrote in message
> > "brandt" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > Hi all--
> > > I presently have a yamaha dsp-a1 and 4 surround speakers and sub. My
> > > mains are 2 magnepan mmg's (7 speakers total including sub). I would
> > > like to upgrade by using my yamaha as a preamp for music only. I will
> > > not be buying a separate preamp I will be using the dsp a1, unless
> > > this is a totally bad idea. How would I go about setting this up?
> > > Would the amplifier still power my maggies for movies? Would they
> > > match well soundwise? What are good matches for the mags? I would
> > > like to keep it under $400, was thinking about the marantz ma-500, but
> > > would be willing to get a used amp if I knew decent brands or
> > > sizes/models for my situation. Any help is greatley appreciated.
> > > Thanks alot--
> >
> > It will be better.
> > Not as good as with a good 2 channel preamp, but definitely better. I
say
> > that as someone who owns a DSP-A1.
> > I recently saw a Hafler 9500 on rec.audio.marketplace for $400.
Excellent
> > choice.
> > Others: Hafler XL-600 (has fan, but truely remarkable), Hafler XL-280, y
of
> > the bigger Parasound amps, any of the Adcom MOSFET amps.
> > The above amps have the muscle Maggies need.
> > I suggest you skip the Marantz, and go used, because you can get more
muscle
> > for the buck.
>
> What about the hookup? OI have heard itwill be a pain to switch
> between video and audio. How would I set it up?

It's completely transparent. No switching required.
Your DSP-A1 has two straps that connect the front channel pre-outs to the
front channel amps.
Pull out the straps.
Run cables from the pre-outs to your new amp.
Now you have two extra amp channels. You can run cables from the front
effect pre-outs, also on the back panel of the DSP-A1, to the now vacant
DSP-A1 main channel inputs. The front channel amps are higher quality than
the front effect amps.

Move the front effect speaker cables over to the front amp outputs, and
you're done.