brandt

Default adding an amplifier -help!

Hi all--
I presently have a yamaha dsp-a1 and 4 surround speakers and sub. My
mains are 2 magnepan mmg's (7 speakers total including sub). I would
like to upgrade by using my yamaha as a preamp for music only. I will
not be buying a separate preamp I will be using the dsp a1, unless
this is a totally bad idea. How would I go about setting this up?
Would the amplifier still power my maggies for movies? Would they
match well soundwise? What are good matches for the mags? I would
like to keep it under $400, was thinking about the marantz ma-500, but
would be willing to get a used amp if I knew decent brands or
sizes/models for my situation. Any help is greatley appreciated.
Thanks alot--
Robert Morein

"brandt" wrote in message
om...
Hi all--
I presently have a yamaha dsp-a1 and 4 surround speakers and sub. My
mains are 2 magnepan mmg's (7 speakers total including sub). I would
like to upgrade by using my yamaha as a preamp for music only. I will
not be buying a separate preamp I will be using the dsp a1, unless
this is a totally bad idea. How would I go about setting this up?
Would the amplifier still power my maggies for movies? Would they
match well soundwise? What are good matches for the mags? I would
like to keep it under $400, was thinking about the marantz ma-500, but
would be willing to get a used amp if I knew decent brands or
sizes/models for my situation. Any help is greatley appreciated.
Thanks alot--

It will be better.
Not as good as with a good 2 channel preamp, but definitely better. I say
that as someone who owns a DSP-A1.
I recently saw a Hafler 9500 on rec.audio.marketplace for $400. Excellent
choice.
Others: Hafler XL-600 (has fan, but truely remarkable), Hafler XL-280, y of
the bigger Parasound amps, any of the Adcom MOSFET amps.
The above amps have the muscle Maggies need.
I suggest you skip the Marantz, and go used, because you can get more muscle
for the buck.

brandt

"Robert Morein" wrote in message ...
"brandt" wrote in message
[...]

What about the hookup? OI have heard itwill be a pain to switch
between video and audio. How would I set it up?
Robert Morein

om...

"brandt" wrote in message
[...]

It's completely transparent. No switching required.
Your DSP-A1 has two straps that connect the front channel pre-outs to the
front channel amps.
Pull out the straps.
Run cables from the pre-outs to your new amp.
Now you have two extra amp channels. You can run cables from the front
effect pre-outs, also on the back panel of the DSP-A1, to the now vacant
DSP-A1 main channel inputs. The front channel amps are higher quality than
the front effect amps.

Move the front effect speaker cables over to the front amp outputs, and
you're done.