PDA

View Full Version : Re: Marantz 2250b, low level hum

Jesper Sørensen
July 25th 03, 07:57 AM
Hi

I have the same problem. It dissapears if the MONO is used. Have you solved
the problem ?

Jesper

"mkloobtbd" > skrev i en meddelelse
> Hi, I have a vintage Marantz 2250b receiver which has been working
> flawlessly; Recently however I have been getting a low level hum (kind
> of a noise) which is only audible when there is no music playing. I get
> it even when the AUX source isn't plugged, and I use it as a headphone
> Amp. The noise disappears after I shut the receiver off and then turn it
> on (sometimes). I would appreciate help.
>
> Thanks a lot.
> --
> Direct access to this group with http://web2news.com
> http://web2news.com/?rec.audio.tech

Tom Bledsoe
July 27th 03, 08:32 AM
I have a 2245. I don't know if it will help, but the relay that delays turn
on power went bad. I just shorted the contacts. Now I wait a second to
push the speaker switch.

"Jesper Sørensen" > wrote in message
k...
> Hi
>
> I have the same problem. It dissapears if the MONO is used. Have you
solved
> the problem ?
>
> Jesper
>
> "mkloobtbd" > skrev i en meddelelse
> > Hi, I have a vintage Marantz 2250b receiver which has been working
> > flawlessly; Recently however I have been getting a low level hum (kind
> > of a noise) which is only audible when there is no music playing. I get
> > it even when the AUX source isn't plugged, and I use it as a headphone
> > Amp. The noise disappears after I shut the receiver off and then turn it
> > on (sometimes). I would appreciate help.
> >
> > Thanks a lot.
> > --
> > Direct access to this group with http://web2news.com
> > http://web2news.com/?rec.audio.tech

Tom Bledsoe
July 31st 03, 06:18 AM
It's been 10 years. The turn on thump is inelegant, but not dangerous.

"Mark D. Zacharias" > wrote in message
thlink.net...
> What a ludicrous thing to do. You have defeated the protective function of
> the receiver. You deserve any damage this will inevitably cause.
>
> Mark Z.
>

> "Tom Bledsoe" > wrote in message
> > I have a 2245. I don't know if it will help, but the relay that delays
> turn
> > on power went bad. I just shorted the contacts. Now I wait a second to
> > push the speaker switch.
> >

> > "Jesper Sørensen" > wrote in message
> > k...
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I have the same problem. It dissapears if the MONO is used. Have you
> > solved
> > > the problem ?
> > >
> > > Jesper
> > >
> > > "mkloobtbd" > skrev i en
meddelelse
> get
> it

Mark D. Zacharias
July 31st 03, 11:24 AM
You've been lucky so far. Why not just fix the actual problem? When output
transistors fail, which is inevitable, one of your speakers, possibly both,
will receive about 40 to 50 volts DC. Your woofer will want to launch into
the next county.

Mark Z.

"Tom Bledsoe" > wrote in message
> It's been 10 years. The turn on thump is inelegant, but not dangerous.
>

> "Mark D. Zacharias" > wrote in message
> thlink.net...
> > What a ludicrous thing to do. You have defeated the protective function
of
> > the receiver. You deserve any damage this will inevitably cause.
> >
> > Mark Z.
> >

> > "Tom Bledsoe" > wrote in message
> > > I have a 2245. I don't know if it will help, but the relay that
delays
> > turn
> > > on power went bad. I just shorted the contacts. Now I wait a second
> > > push the speaker switch.
> > >

> > > "Jesper Sørensen" > wrote in message
> > > k...

> > > solved

> meddelelse
> (kind
> > get
> headphone
> turn
> > it

Tom Bledsoe
August 2nd 03, 08:38 AM
That's a valid point for a 30 year old piece. Maybe I'll drop a fuse in the
line.

If I went to the trouble of finding the part from a vendor, and installing,
it would just fail again. But if it was my only receiver, I would probably
have tried something by now.

arthlink.net...