james mc gourty

Default Fairchild 670

Does any one have or know where to get info on the Fairchild 670
transformers?
Thanks in advance
Jim

Scott Dorsey

james mc gourty wrote:
Does any one have or know where to get info on the Fairchild 670
transformers?

What info? As I recall, they are off the shelf items that are specified
in the manual. You should be able to find numbers in an old UTC catalogue
if you want general specs.
Steve

"james mc gourty" wrote in message arthlink.net...
Does any one have or know where to get info on the Fairchild 670
transformers?
Thanks in advance
Jim

You could try
http://www.sowter.co.uk/
They make a range of transformers for the 670 and other vintage gear.
A good company run by helpfull people.
Steve Lane
David Bock

The interstage transformer is the real bitch...
Fletcher, I think you meant to say "control output xfmr", since the
interstage xfmr (coupling the audio to the control section) is a UTC
A27 (600R-100K), which can be found on ebum occaisionally, but the
control output is a Chigago 12kPP-600R w/10% FB winding which can
NEVER be found anywhere.
BTW, there are too many technical differences for either the Manly or
EAR to sound like a Fairchild 660.
Manly and EAR transformers are all different than Fairchild's (Huge
difference already).
Manly and EAR's CV detection schemes are different, therefore
different respone/sound.
Early Manly had similar audio path to F660, don't know about now.
EAR uses cascoded audio path, very different than Fairchild's.
Here may be the case where, "it's ALL good".....
David Bock

How much of a difference does the control output transformer make in overall
sound, too? It would seem the least critical spot in the path.
Un fortunately, due to the interactive nature of all the elements in

a 670, the cv out xfmr matters. If you remove the FB winding the
entire thing changes, for example.....Of course similar units will
function in that position, but don't sound the same.
What about the Fairman? What's that?

Scott Dorsey

David Bock wrote:
Kludge wrote:
How much of a difference does the control output transformer make in overall
sound, too? It would seem the least critical spot in the path.

Un fortunately, due to the interactive nature of all the elements in
a 670, the cv out xfmr matters. If you remove the FB winding the
entire thing changes, for example.....Of course similar units will
function in that position, but don't sound the same.

Removing the feedback winding isn't a minor change, it's a pretty serious
one. If you replace the transformer with one that has the same ratios as
the original, but might have slightly different interwinding capacitance
and might saturate at a slightly different point, that would seem a more
reasonable change to expect in a reproduction.

What about the Fairman?

What's that?

An outfit that is building a new 670 from the bottom up. Don't know how
it is different than the EAR unit at all. I never much liked the 670 when
it was new, myself.
David Bock

What about the Fairman?

What's that?

An outfit that is building a new 670 from the bottom up. Don't know how
it is different than the EAR unit at all. I never much liked the 670 when
it was new, myself.
--scott

So are you saying that Fairman copied the EAR? Or are you saying you
don't know how the EAR differs from the Fairchild? I thought I
outlined those differences in my earlir post.
DB
Scott Dorsey

David Bock wrote:

What about the Fairman?
What's that?

An outfit that is building a new 670 from the bottom up. Don't know how
it is different than the EAR unit at all. I never much liked the 670 when
it was new, myself.

So are you saying that Fairman copied the EAR? Or are you saying you
don't know how the EAR differs from the Fairchild? I thought I
outlined those differences in my earlir post.

I don't know how the Fairman is different from the EAR (or from the real
Fairchild).