Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech
Rich Billionaire Rich Billionaire is offline

Default High end soundcards

What do you guys think of the following sound cards and do you have
any personal experience with them:

Asus Xonar D2
Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1
Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro

What are some other good cards? I want a general purpose sound card
that is great at playing music, including high resolution music, such
as from DVD-A disks. I want the music to sound really smooth,
analog-ish, and wonderful, with a big sound stage, great dynamic
range, and all that great stuff. I'm leaning towards the Xonar D2
because it has the highest specs out of the above 3, but I'm not yet
familiar with the really expensive sound cards, like $400 and up. I
don't care about creating my own music, although I might copy songs
from vinyl records sometime. The xonar D2 can record at 192 khz, 24
bit, and I'm pretty sure the X-Fi cards can't.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Rich Billionaire" wrote in message

What do you guys think of the following sound cards and do you have
any personal experience with them:

Asus Xonar D2
Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1
Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro

Well, you posted to rec.audio.pro(duction) and so you get the audio
production view. They are all consumer cards that people who are interested
in audio production would simply not look at. No balanced I/O and their
input and output voltages won't match up well with a lot of our other
production equipment.

However, let's look at how they shape up as audio gear for listening to
music:

http://www.vr-zone.com/print/5135

Auzen X-Meridian 7.1
Frequency response (from 40 Hz to 15 kHz), dB:+0.02, -0.12
Noise level, dB (A):-95.8
Dynamic range, dB (A):96.1
THD, %:0.0065
IMD + Noise, %:0.0089
Stereo crosstalk, dB:-96.7

Audiotrak ProDigy 7.1 XT
Frequency response (from 40 Hz to 15 kHz), dB:+0.03, -0.03
Noise level, dB (A):-95.8
Dynamic range, dB (A):95.8
THD, %:0.0017
IMD + Noise, %:0.0052
Stereo crosstalk, dB:-95.1

Creative X-Fi Elite Pro
Frequency response (from 40 Hz to 15 kHz), dB:+0.02, -0.15
Noise level, dB (A):-96.2
Dynamic range, dB (A):96.2
THD, %:0.0007
IMD + Noise, %:0.0047
Stereo crosstalk, dB:-97.6

ASUS Xonar D2
Frequency response (from 40 Hz to 15 kHz), dB:+0.01, -0.07
Noise level, dB (A):-91.9
Dynamic range, dB (A):91.9
THD, %:0.0009
IMD + Noise, %:0.0075
Stereo crosstalk, dB:-92.1

What are some other good cards?

There are a ton of them. Search google!

I want a general purpose sound card
that is great at playing music, including high resolution music, such
as from DVD-A disks.

DVD-A format runs up to 192/24. Which of these cards can handle that? I'll
leave thrashing of the spec sheets up to you!

I want the music to sound really smooth,
analog-ish, and wonderful, with a big sound stage, great dynamic
range, and all that great stuff.

Unless there are hidden sonic bugabears, none of these cards will sound bad
while playing back digital music files whose format they can handle.

I'm leaning towards the Xonar D2
because it has the highest specs out of the above 3,

You're splitting hairs.

However check the frequency response curves at 24/96 and 24/192 from the
page I cited.

The Asus card has frequency response that drops like a rock at 20 KHz. It's
a pretender, not a player at higher sample rates.

but I'm not yet
familiar with the really expensive sound cards, like $400 and up.

Well there's Lynx Studio, eMu...

Google on, dude!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Oct 31, 5:41 am, Rich Billionaire
wrote:
What do you guys think of the following sound cards and do you have
any personal experience with them:

Asus Xonar D2
Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1
Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro

They aren't "high end" from my perspective, so I have no experience
with them. You might want to post in a gaming or home theater
newsgroup depending on what you want to do with your audio.

If you're recording music and want a "high end" card that's actually a
card, go with one of the offerings from Lynx: http://www.lynxstudio.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech

"Rich Billionaire" wrote ...
What do you guys think of the following sound cards
and do you have any personal experience with them:

Asus Xonar D2
Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1
Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro

Familiarize yourself with http://groups.google.com
If you had done any research into rec.audio.pro,
you would have discovered that products of those
types are not considered "high-end". Perhaps they
are in some of the other groups you cross-posted
to??

You would have also discovered that computer sound
cards are regularly discussed here (r.a.p) and some
particular products are mentioned frequently as
better than average.

PS: Sily "screen names" make you seem like a
poseur and not worth the time to engage in serious
discussion.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech
Bob Masta Bob Masta is offline

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 02:41:20 -0700, Rich Billionaire
wrote:

snip
I don't care about creating my own music, although I might copy songs
from vinyl records sometime. The xonar D2 can record at 192 khz, 24
bit, and I'm pretty sure the X-Fi cards can't.

To add to Arny's excellent and comprehensive post, I'd just like to
point out that you don't need to consider exotic technology for
recording from vinyl. Despite what the extremophiles may claim, most
sound cards are already considerably better than the limits of vinyl.
(And most human ears, for that matter.)

Best regards,

Bob Masta

DAQARTA v3.50
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, FREE Signal Generator
Science with your sound card!
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

"Rich Billionaire" wrote ...
What do you guys think of the following sound cards
and do you have any personal experience with them:

Asus Xonar D2
Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1
Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro

These are cheap gamer cards. You are not going to find people here in
rec.audio.pro who really know anything about this sort of cheap consumer
gear. If you are looking for information on these sorts of things, you
are better off asking in one of the gaming newsgroups.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech
Rich Billionaire Rich Billionaire is offline

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 10:29:18 +0000, Laurence Payne
NOSPAMlpayne1ATdsl.pipex.com wrote:

Nice troll :-)

**** you asshole. I wasn't trolling.
You piece of ****.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech
Rich Billionaire Rich Billionaire is offline

Google on, dude!

Obviously I know I can spend hours googling and reading articles about
sound cards that I never heard myself. I thought I could get a quicker
and better answer from people who supposedly have experience and
knowledge about high performance sound cards, but I was overly
optimistic since the majority of people on usenet are assholes who
like to flame people just for posing an innocent, normal question. All
you people just go eat **** and die please.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech
[email protected] sgordon@changethisparttohardbat.com is offline

Wow, nice guy! Makes me want to hurry up and do a bunch
of research for you! :P

In rec.audio.pro Rich Billionaire wrote:
: Obviously I know I can spend hours googling and reading articles about
: sound cards that I never heard myself. I thought I could get a quicker
: and better answer from people who supposedly have experience and
: knowledge about high performance sound cards, but I was overly
: optimistic since the majority of people on usenet are assholes who
: like to flame people just for posing an innocent, normal question. All
: you people just go eat **** and die please.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Rich Billionaire wrote:

Google on, dude!

Obviously I know I can spend hours googling and reading articles about
sound cards that I never heard myself. I thought I could get a quicker
and better answer from people who supposedly have experience and
knowledge about high performance sound cards, but I was overly
optimistic since the majority of people on usenet are assholes who
like to flame people just for posing an innocent, normal question. All
you people just go eat **** and die please.

I hope you die a horrible death yourself.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech

Rich Billionaire wrote:

What do you guys think of the following sound cards and do you have
any personal experience with them:

Asus Xonar D2
Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1
Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro

Toys for trolls.

What are some other good cards?

Read this newsgroup and you will find a fairly small handful of cards that
are frequently mentioned.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech
Steve[_3_] Steve[_3_] is offline

I have one of these and highly recommend picking one up:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Apogee-E...76-i1125439.gc

I suggest you pick it up right away as I am personal friend of the local rep
for Apogee and he says they are going up $200 in price next month (for the
same unit!).

This should be good for listening up to DVD-A.

Cheers;
Steve

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech

On Oct 31, 7:40 pm, "Steve" wrote:

I have one of these and highly recommend picking one up:
Apogee-Ensemble

Rich didn't say what kind of computer he had, so I'm guessing it's not
a Mac since practically nobody buys a Mac for playing games and
watching DVDs. The Ensemble is another one of Apogee's Mac-only
products.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech
malachi[_2_] malachi[_2_] is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 31, 7:40 pm, "Steve" wrote:

I have one of these and highly recommend picking one up:
Apogee-Ensemble

Rich didn't say what kind of computer he had, so I'm guessing it's not
a Mac since practically nobody buys a Mac for playing games and
watching DVDs. The Ensemble is another one of Apogee's Mac-only
products.

Have you read this guy's posts? I wonder what kind of computer works best
for learning better manners?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
D C D C is offline

Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro

LOL
Posted to rec.audio.pro
D C D C is offline

Steve wrote:

I suggest you pick it up right away as I am personal friend of the local rep
for Apogee and he says they are going up $200 in price next month (for the
same unit!).

Reps have friends?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
D C D C is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:

Rich didn't say what kind of computer he had, so I'm guessing it's not
a Mac since practically nobody buys a Mac for playing games and
watching DVDs. The Ensemble is another one of Apogee's Mac-only
products.

I didn't buy it for that, but I watch DVD's all the time on my Mac.
Games, no. Not my generation.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech
David Morgan \(MAMS\) David Morgan \(MAMS\) is offline

"Rich Billionaire" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 10:29:18 +0000, Laurence Payne
NOSPAMlpayne1ATdsl.pipex.com wrote:

Nice troll :-)

**** you asshole. I wasn't trolling.
You piece of ****.

The surely you know that none of those have *anything* to do with "high end".

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech
David Morgan \(MAMS\) David Morgan \(MAMS\) is offline

"Rich Billionaire" wrote...

The xonar D2 can record at 192 khz, 24 bit

What a massive waste of time and drive space.

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech

On Oct 31, 9:36 pm, "malachi" wrote:

Have you read this guy's posts? I wonder what kind of computer works best
for learning better manners?

Which guy, and whose manners? I haven't seen a post from Rich
Billionaire in which he said "I have a Mac." I don't care who else has
a Mac.

Who are YOU trying to help here?

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech
malachi[_2_] malachi[_2_] is offline

I was referring to "Billionaire's" manners, and marveling at your display of
goodwill in trying to help someone while said person is telling everyone in
here to commit
unspeakable acts.

I wasn't attacking you, sorry I could have been more clear.

malachi

ps.com...