Posted to rec.audio.pro,
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

Default Digidesign PTLE USB dongle -- It's about time!

I began asking Digi for this a few years ago.

I don't want to record. I'm on an airplane or somewhere else. I want to bring
up my session and edit and/or mix.

"Sorry, we don't have anything short of an mBox that'll do that, Mr. Ford."

"Well why not build it into a USB key? Again, I don't want to record, but I
don't want to haul my H/W interface around."

"We just don't have that solution right now."

"If I can edit Final Cut Pro on a laptop while traveling, I should be able to
edit and mix Pro Tools."

"We just don't have that solution right now."

"Why not?"

"We just don't have that solution right now."

Well now they do: http://tinyurl.com/33587f

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Oct 27, 1:28 pm, Ty Ford wrote:

"We just don't have that solution right now."

They still don't, quite. As I understand it, the Micro will be sold
bundled with a copy of ProTools LE (only) for more than what a dongle
should be worth. I can see someone wanting to buy it that way who
doesn't need ProTools for anything but editing (I suspect it's not a
sufficiently high quality D/A converter so you'd want to rely on it
for anything but a rough mix) but a ProTools owner already has the
program and doesn't need another copy.

I suspect that what they don't have a solution for right now is a
means for assuring that it only gets used with a legitimate copy of
pro tools other than the one that's sold along with the USB key.

If they were clever, they'd sell it without ProTools LE for $49.95 or
so for those who already had the program.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
kooz kooz is offline

If they were clever, they'd sell it without ProTools LE for $49.95 or
so for those who already had the program.

Or make this the new iLok that comes bundled with the Factory packages.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
rboy rboy is offline

I don't get it. Why not use the audio out of the laptop and not
bother with the circuitry? And put the money towards making a dongle
that won't break instead. I'd pay $50 for a dongle for PTLE that I
could count on like I can my old Apple Logic dongles. This looks a
bit like an iLok, of which I've had two go pfffft.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
studiorat studiorat is offline

Yeah,
Digi dongles suck, the logic dongle is much tougher.
Then again, I bought a gtr cable with a really tough jack plug and the
b*srd went through the socket and into the guitar when the strap
broke.
I heard a rumour there's talk of running PT on an ethernet cable, no
PCI cards.
Anyone?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

rboy wrote:
I don't get it. Why not use the audio out of the laptop and not
bother with the circuitry? And put the money towards making a dongle
that won't break instead. I'd pay $50 for a dongle for PTLE that I
could count on like I can my old Apple Logic dongles. This looks a
bit like an iLok, of which I've had two go pfffft.

Me too. I don't understand this thing. How is it better than
the combination of a cheaper USB flash drive and the soundcard
on the laptop? Why have a USB device at all, when you could
just load the project to the laptop hardrive?

--ignorance

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Preben Friis Preben Friis is offline

"Tobiah" wrote in message
.. .
Why have a USB device at all, when you could
just load the project to the laptop hardrive?

The difference is probably the one million questions of:

"Why does this 200 dollar program not work with my laptop with a four year
old 25 cent codec in it?"
"Where is that noise coming from?"
"Pro Tools sounds bad on my laptop speakers, hence it must be bad?"
"Why do I not hear any sound when I connect something to the input?"

All forums are full of kids asking stupid questions regarding their crappy
Sound Blasters in conjuction with a number of audio programs. Until now the
PT scene has been free from these, due to the "audio interface as dongles"
approach.

.... and then the whole piracy issue...

I'll probably buy one.

/Preben Friis

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Oct 27, 8:57 pm, Tobiah wrote:

I don't understand this thing. How is it better than
the combination of a cheaper USB flash drive and the soundcard
on the laptop? Why have a USB device at all, when you could
just load the project to the laptop hardrive?

The USB part isn't memory, it's half (the playback half) of a sound
card. ProTools will only run with certain hardware, not with the
computer's sound card - it could, but they just make it so it won't.
It's a form of anti-piracy.

If you don't need to run ProTools, then you can indeed use the
computer's built-in hardware. But since :ProTools is so popular,
engineers who get projects from other studios for editing and mixing
pretty much need to be able to load a ProTools project and work on it
using that program. So it's an inexpensive means of running ProTools
when you only have to play, not record.

Good Video Card for PTLE W98 Bob Rome Pro Audio 1 January 29th 07 02:24 PM
Good Video Card for PTLE W98 Bob Rome Pro Audio 0 January 29th 07 05:22 AM
Rex with PTLE 7? [email protected] Pro Audio 0 January 17th 06 07:55 AM
MBox as a dongle Daniel Fox Pro Audio 12 October 31st 05 10:58 AM
PTLE & Nuendo (not a flamefest) Mondoslug1 Pro Audio 4 September 9th 03 04:26 PM