Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Motherboard "Noise Filter"?

I'm shopping for a motherboard for my new Intel Core2 Quad
CPU chip and I came across this....

Asus P5KC
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...&mo delmenu=1

"ASUS Crystal Sound Noise Filter "
"Eliminate background noise while recording "
"This feature detects repetitive and stationary noises like computer
fans, air conditioners, and other background noises then eliminates
it in the incoming audio stream while recording."

Yikes!, I hope that doesn't mean they they are diddling my data
to compensate for what *they* think is "noise"? :-(

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 18:51:21 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

"ASUS Crystal Sound Noise Filter "
"Eliminate background noise while recording "
"This feature detects repetitive and stationary noises like computer
fans, air conditioners, and other background noises then eliminates
it in the incoming audio stream while recording."

Yikes!, I hope that doesn't mean they they are diddling my data
to compensate for what *they* think is "noise"? :-(

Don't be such a baby. It's for your own good. You can't
be expected to think every little thought for yourself,
can you?

We have a special program for those misguided souls who
misunderstand our purpose. Perhaps you'd wish to volunteer?

But seriously, thanks, as always,

Chris Hornbeck
"Dreams, Amelia, dreams and false alarms." -RJA
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chip Gallo Chip Gallo is offline

wrote:

"ASUS Crystal Sound Noise Filter "
"Eliminate background noise while recording "
"This feature detects repetitive and stationary noises like computer
fans, air conditioners, and other background noises then eliminates
it in the incoming audio stream while recording."

Yikes!, I hope that doesn't mean they they are diddling my data
to compensate for what *they* think is "noise"? :-(

Don't be such a baby. It's for your own good. You can't
be expected to think every little thought for yourself,
can you?

We have a special program for those misguided souls who
misunderstand our purpose. Perhaps you'd wish to volunteer?

But seriously, thanks, as always,

Chris Hornbeck
"Dreams, Amelia, dreams and false alarms." -RJA

Try this Intel mobo:

http://www.intel.com/products/mother...XBX2/index.htm

The specs don't mention sound diddling. Mine has been running great with
a Q6600 for several months.

Chip
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mogens V. Mogens V. is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:
I'm shopping for a motherboard for my new Intel Core2 Quad
CPU chip and I came across this....

Asus P5KC
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...&mo delmenu=1

"ASUS Crystal Sound Noise Filter "
"Eliminate background noise while recording "
"This feature detects repetitive and stationary noises like computer
fans, air conditioners, and other background noises then eliminates
it in the incoming audio stream while recording."

Yikes!, I hope that doesn't mean they they are diddling my data
to compensate for what *they* think is "noise"? :-(

Haven't poked the net for in-depth info on this mobo, but don't you
think it just might be a (non-digital/cpu-run) filter associated with
the onboard audio IFC only?

--
Kind regards,
Mogens V.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

I'm shopping for a motherboard for my new Intel Core2 Quad
CPU chip and I came across this....

Asus P5KC
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...&mo delmenu=1

"ASUS Crystal Sound Noise Filter "
"Eliminate background noise while recording "
"This feature detects repetitive and stationary noises like computer
fans, air conditioners, and other background noises then eliminates
it in the incoming audio stream while recording."

Yikes!, I hope that doesn't mean they they are diddling my data
to compensate for what *they* think is "noise"? :-(

Don't worry. That's just a (doubtless switchable) feature of the
onboard sound chip, or of the driver they provide for it. Might even
be useful if you spend your day on Skype using a cheap headset.

You won't be using the onboard sound system for your audio activities,
will you? So it's irrelevent.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Oct 26, 9:51 pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:

I'm shopping for a motherboard for my new Intel Core2 Quad
CPU chip and I came across this....

Asus P5KC

I looked at the same motherboard, saw the same "feature," and decided
that I'd best not ask what it means. (you know what they say about
sausages)

I figure it's for the benefit of people who are using their computers
as telephones, and probably doesn't know anything about more serious
audio interface that I hope you'll be using for audio applications.

I still haven't bought one yet either, but I've been leaning toward
the Intel 975XBX2KR and will probably continue to lean in that
direction until it becomes obsolete and I can't buy one (thereby
solving my indecision problem). Now I'm worried about CPU speed. The
numbers on these Core Duo things work differently than they did with
just plain CPUs and I don't know how much faster it's worth paying
more money for. Do you?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 04:08:31 -0700, Mike Rivers
wrote:

I still haven't bought one yet either, but I've been leaning toward
the Intel 975XBX2KR and will probably continue to lean in that
direction until it becomes obsolete and I can't buy one (thereby
solving my indecision problem). Now I'm worried about CPU speed. The
numbers on these Core Duo things work differently than they did with
just plain CPUs and I don't know how much faster it's worth paying
more money for. Do you?

They've just brought out a revision that allows you to use the newer
chips with a slightly faster FSB. I don't mention that to confuse you
- obviously you'll buy motherboard and CPU from the same place and ask
nthem to confirm compatibility. But it does indicate that Intel
intend to continue making that board for a little longer.

Of course, if they replace that model before you buy, you'll go with
the new one. In this game, "vintage" counts for nothing - newer is
better (and likely cheaper). Especially when it's Intel making a
motherboard for an Intel CPU :-)

All CPU speeds are just numbers. They only mean something when
compared with models from the same range. Look at the price list. Go
to an on-line vendor and see which model shows a very high stock
level. It's easy to find the current "sweet spot" for
price/performance. At the moment, in the British market, it seems to
be the dual and quad-core processors around or just under the 3GHz
mark. After that there's a BIG price jump. But it could be different
tomorrow, you might get even more power for your money. (And don't
panic - it's a LOT less money than you might have anticipated. A
mistake won't bankrupt you:-)