Analogeezer

Default Weird "Off Ebay" Side Offer

I saw a nice looking SPX-990 on Ebay so I decided to try and snag it.
As per most highly desireable pieces of gear on Ebay it wound up going
for stupid money so I got outbid...I never figured I would get it but
you never know.

So after the auction I get this email from some guy, offering to sell
me his Yamaha EMP-700.

For those of you that don't remember this thing, it was a budget early
1990's Yamaha FX processor that listed for $550 and sounded really,
really bad. I checked one out back then and decided it sounded worse
than the Digitech
DSP-256 I was using at the time...I was hoping for a poor man's SPX-90
but it was far, far from being even that good.

Well this guy's email starts going on about how he had talked to
Yamaha and they had assured him it was the same unit as an SPX-990,
just a different package...sounded just as good and he could offer me
this fine unit for only $399 shipped. He said he ran a "Pro Studio"
and that this thing was good enough for professional type of work.

So I emailed the guy back, told him he needed to maybe talk to those
folks at Yamaha again, quoted him a review from Keyboard magazine
(which slagged it for it's metallic, ringing reverb sound), and told
him that I had passed on one back in 1993, when I could have bought it
new for $375.

Geez, all that was missing was the white van...

Analogeezer

p.s. Anybody ever heard of a Yammie FX-700? Saw one of those a while
back and I had never heard of that one.

ok
WillStG

Well this guy's email starts going on about how he had talked to
Yamaha and they had assured him it was the same unit as an SPX-990,
just a different package...sounded just as good and he could offer me
this fine unit for only $399 shipped.

Heh. IIRC the Yamaha REX50's are kinda similar to SPX90's, maybe that's
where he got the idea. But they (the REX 50's ) have been doing for like $35
on Ebay... Guess it's not worth selling mine, even if it's just laying
around...

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Fox And Friends/Fox News

Higgs

Something similar just happened to me too. I placed an almost
insulting bid on an item "cause you never know." I received an e-mail
from another ebayer. They are offering to sell me the same item for a
"too good to be true" price (although its not cheap by any means.)
They have great feedback with ebay as well, but I noticed that it was
all from buying and none from selling.
Now I'm stuck wondering what to do. Ignore it and possibly pass up a
great offer, or risk some hard earned green and possibly get ripped
off.
If I gamble and try it, I will for sure use an escrow service.
Anybody here ever use an online escrow service?

-Higgs
(Analogeezer) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Jonathan

"Higgs" wrote in message
om...
Something similar just happened to me too. I placed an almost
insulting bid on an item "cause you never know." I received an e-mail
from another ebayer. They are offering to sell me the same item for a
"too good to be true" price (although its not cheap by any means.)
They have great feedback with ebay as well, but I noticed that it was
all from buying and none from selling.
Now I'm stuck wondering what to do. Ignore it and possibly pass up a
great offer, or risk some hard earned green and possibly get ripped
off.
If I gamble and try it, I will for sure use an escrow service.
Anybody here ever use an online escrow service?

-Higgs

I've never used an escrow service, but I recently checked into it when I
thought I was going to bid on something on ebay from a guy in Australia with
no feedback... I believe it would have cost me $15 or so for a $300 item
with escrow.com . Might be a good way to pick up some deals for a good
price that noone else is bidding on because someone has low/no feedback.
I'm guessing you're out the fee if things don't turn out well, but better
that than being out $300. I'm guessing the idea of escrow will scare off
the people who know they're trying to pull one over on you.

Jonathan

Analogeezer

(WillStG) wrote in message ...

Well this guy's email starts going on about how he had talked to
Yamaha and they had assured him it was the same unit as an SPX-990,
just a different package...sounded just as good and he could offer me
this fine unit for only $399 shipped.

Heh. IIRC the Yamaha REX50's are kinda similar to SPX90's, maybe that's
where he got the idea. But they (the REX 50's ) have been doing for like $35
on Ebay... Guess it's not worth selling mine, even if it's just laying
around...

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Fox And Friends/Fox News

Yeah then there is the SPX-50D which looks almost exactly like an
SPX-90 (single space rackmount, same buttons but with a red surround
and display instead of green), not sure what those go for but they
could pass for an SPX-90.

I actually always thought the SPX-50D was cooler looking but I heard
they don't sound that great.

The guy that offered me the EMP-700 must have figured me for a total
dumbass...I went and checked just out of curiosity, there are two
EMP-700's on Ebay at the moment:

One at $99 with a $125 "Buy it Now" price and no bids

One at $50 with no bids

FWIW I just looked and there is one SPX-50D, currently at $18.21.

One REX-50 at $39, and yes the listing says "similiar to
SPX-90"...that seems a fair enough comparison, but going EMP-700 to
SPX-990 was a bit stretch.

Analogeezer

geek

I got one of those "too good to be true" offers after bidding (and getting
outbid at the last second by $10) on a Control 24. As soon as the seller
refused to send me a picture of the actual unit, I passed. I was contacted
through eBay's "ask a member a question" service so when I checked the
contactee's feedback and noticed that all the ever bought or sold were toy
cars, I was glad (escrow or not) that I didn't fork over any money.
Eventually I got hold of the real account owner and let them know that I was
contacted, they told me that I was the 5th person that had called them
regarding a false offer.

Sometimes it pays to listen to your gut and always follow the "if it sounds
too good to be true..." credo.

m.
--

mike rekka at hotmail dot com hates spam

"Higgs" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Richard Kuschel

Have him send it COD

And if he is a real ripoff artist, you will be paying for a box of rocks.

Richard H. Kuschel
Craig Cordts

Yeah then there is the SPX-50D which looks almost exactly like an
SPX-90 (single space rackmount, same buttons but with a red surround
and display instead of green), not sure what those go for but they
could pass for an SPX-90.

I actually always thought the SPX-50D was cooler looking but I heard
they don't sound that great.

I have a SPX-50D. I believe it was designed for guitarists ( it has a
bunch of disttortion patches ). I don't think is sounds all that
great. I have it setup on an aux send on my Mackie 1202 on my PA for
some reverb when jamming in my live room. I bought mine used in 92 for
$200.

How come the SPX 90 are so disirable ? Anyone know the realationship
between the SPX 90 and the SPX 50D ?

craig at ravlink.net