Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] amaizing@gmail.com is offline

Default Audio Interface upgrade

I am looking to upgrade my Audio Interface as I am not happy with my
Lexicon Omega. Now I know that the Omega and all the other (most of
them) have preamps within the hardware already. My question is..are
they any good...the preamps that come in these audio interfaces? Does
it make sense to have a Preamp for just my condenser Mic and also an
Audio interface, which probably will have Preamps too. I will need to
have an Audio interface for recording Keyboards, Guitars, etc.

Also by running multiple instruments through a non powered Yamaha
mixer, then out to L and R Line-In Inputs on an Audio Interface..am I
losing any db? Should I just have an audio interface that has enough
port to plug each instrument into?

What Audio interface should I look at? One with good preamps??.. or do
I go with one without preamps, and just get a preamp for the MIC??
Keep in mind, I am a Cubase user...always open for change but
comfortable in the Cubase world.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve[_3_] Steve[_3_] is offline

Amazing;

I don't think you'll get any other answer here except to buy a seperate
preamp which I totally agree with. I read in another post you talking about
someone recommending the Presonus Firebox. I would probably not recommend
it because the preamps are although may be the "Presonus Class A" preamps, I
see a lot of users complaining about lack of gain when using dynamic mics
(specifically the Shure SM57/58s) and having to crank the preamps all the
way up to get a decent amount of gain out of it. At that point they are
complaining about preamp noise. Presonus claims the lower gain is to allow
for the unit to be Firewire powered which is useless to me. As well people
are complaining about a whine out of the unit (which I can say is true with
the latest firmware). I would stick with the Omega and get a decent preamp
(like an FMR RNP8380). You can connect the RNP right the balanced inputs of
your Omega and off you go. With the firebox you would be downgrading to 6
inputs and buying preamps which will make you want something better anyway.

Hope this helps;
Steve

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Oct 25, 10:04 pm, "Steve" wrote:
[...]

__________________

Thanks Steve for the quick feedback. I will be sure to try the preamp you mentioned, eventhough it seems to be a one I havent head of. (that could be a good thing though)

My problem with the Omega is the 2 XLR Mic inputs dont work anymore.
I've used my mics in other studio's with other cables and on other
PA's...and it works fine. The support
guy I called told me to send the interface to Utah to have it looked
at and fixed. Instantly I became dissapointed, as anyone would. Also
the Omega just reboots on its own, during recording/playbacks/etc.
I've done some research since this has happend and have found a lot of
unhappy Omega owners. I think I might send it to Utah to get fixed and
then ebay it. So that has brought me to the point
Im at today, in search of a new Audio interface.
It seems that I still would want a preamp for just the Rode NTK + and
a new interface.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Oct 26, 1:21 am, wrote:

My problem with the Omega is the 2 XLR Mic inputs dont work anymore.

So, it broke. That happens.

The support
guy I called told me to send the interface to Utah to have it looked
at and fixed. Instantly I became dissapointed, as anyone would.

What's to be disappointed about? Sounds like a good offer to me,
unless you live in another country and shipping would be expensive.

I think I might send it to Utah to get fixed and then ebay it.

The Onega isn't one of the interfaces on the tip of everyone's tongue,
so chances are most of what you hear about it is from people having
problems. It could be that there was a manufacturing defect or it
needs a firmware update, and once it's been back to the factory and
fixed, it will work like it's supposed to work. If you like it other
than for the fact that it doesn't work now, you should continue
keeping it. It probably has very little resale value due to its non-
popularity. But eBay will demonstrate that (or not).

It seems that I still would want a preamp for just the Rode NTK + and
a new interface.

Lots of choices out there in almost any price range. How much money do
you want to spend? That's the first decision you should make, and
stick to it. You can get a Mackie Satellite for $200 brand new these
days. Some of those work very well.