Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bob Howes Bob Howes is offline

Default M Audio ProFire Lightbridge

Is anyone out there using the M Audio ProFire Lightbridge and, if so, any
thoughts pro/con about it?

As a bonus question, if anyone is using it with Adobe Audition successfully,
that would be very useful information.

FYI, I'm just in the process of putting together an new audio workstation
and need something to interface my DM1000 mixer (with MY16AT expansion card)
into the PC. Previously I've used a PCI solution but, if it works, Firewire
would be ideal for me because I could swap it between a desktop and a laptop
I take to theatres for playback purposes.

Other lightpipe interfaces tend to have features I don't need (such as line
and mic inputs) when all I require is the interface to the mixer.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bobbsy

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Oct 25, 1:45 am, "Bob Howes"
wrote:

Is anyone out there using the M Audio ProFire Lightbridge and, if so, any
thoughts pro/con about it?

As long as you stick with standard (44.1/48 kHz) sample rate and don't
use long fiber optic cables, it'll probably work OK. You need to
figure out how you're going ot synchronize word clocks though.
Something need to be the master. I think there's a BNC word clock in
and out on the Lightbridge and that would be the best way to use it.

Presonus has a new gadget that's similar. I don't know whether there's
any advantage of one over the other, but you might prefer how one
mounts or looks, or you might be able to buy one locally and not the
other, making it easier to test it out and return it if you have a
problem with it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bob Howes Bob Howes is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 25, 1:45 am, "Bob Howes"
wrote:

Is anyone out there using the M Audio ProFire Lightbridge and, if so, any
thoughts pro/con about it?

As long as you stick with standard (44.1/48 kHz) sample rate and don't
use long fiber optic cables, it'll probably work OK. You need to
figure out how you're going ot synchronize word clocks though.
Something need to be the master. I think there's a BNC word clock in
and out on the Lightbridge and that would be the best way to use it.

Presonus has a new gadget that's similar. I don't know whether there's
any advantage of one over the other, but you might prefer how one
mounts or looks, or you might be able to buy one locally and not the
other, making it easier to test it out and return it if you have a
problem with it.

Thanks for that. Wordclock isn't an issue as the DM1000 provides a stable
source on BNC...and fibres will be nice and short (around a metre).

I'll snoop around on the Presonus suggestion too.

Thanks again

Bob

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

On Oct 25, 1:45 am, "Bob Howes"
wrote:
Is anyone out there using the M Audio ProFire Lightbridge and, if so, any
thoughts pro/con about it?

As a bonus question, if anyone is using it with Adobe Audition successfully,
that would be very useful information.

FYI, I'm just in the process of putting together an new audio workstation
and need something to interface my DM1000 mixer (with MY16AT expansion card)
into the PC. Previously I've used a PCI solution but, if it works, Firewire
would be ideal for me because I could swap it between a desktop and a laptop
I take to theatres for playback purposes.

Other lightpipe interfaces tend to have features I don't need (such as line
and mic inputs) when all I require is the interface to the mixer.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bobbsy

i got the PF the day they started shipping and i love it. I'm on a
pro tools mpowered system. I have a tascam dm3200 that i interfaced
with it. the PF is my master clock and the board slaves to it. I'm
grateful to say the system's worked without flaw since i set it up.
I've used it at 44.1 and 48k with no problem. never tried 96, don't
think it's possible with my software, so i have no experience with
it. but at 44.1 or 48 it works great. I can even mix totally on the
board with 16 stems and record that back into a 2 mix in PT with no
problem.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bob Howes Bob Howes is offline

"Art Cohen" wrote in message
.. .

Why not trade in your MY16AT for an MY16mLAN? Then your DM1000 becomes
the interface and can send 16 channels of audio to and from the computer
via firewire.

Peace
Art Cohen

For pure home studio work that would be an excellent option but, alas, my
mixer leads a double life. By day, a mild-mannered home-studio device but
by night a 48 channel live mixer for theatre and corporate projects.

Seriously, I do use the mixer both for studio and live work and, for live, I
have multiple channels of extra mic pre-amps that connect in via the
lightpipe/MY16AT route.

That said, maybe there's an argument for swapping expansion cards as
required (or even running one of each on occasions when I only need a 32
input live mixer...which is the majority of the time.

Thanks for a thought-provoking post.

Bob

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bob Howes Bob Howes is offline

"Nate Najar" wrote in message
ps.com...

i got the PF the day they started shipping and i love it. I'm on a
pro tools mpowered system. I have a tascam dm3200 that i interfaced
with it. the PF is my master clock and the board slaves to it. I'm
grateful to say the system's worked without flaw since i set it up.
I've used it at 44.1 and 48k with no problem. never tried 96, don't
think it's possible with my software, so i have no experience with
it. but at 44.1 or 48 it works great. I can even mix totally on the
board with 16 stems and record that back into a 2 mix in PT with no
problem.

Thanks for that Nate. Great to hear it works so well for you and I'll now
have no qualms about placing the order.

Well, no qualms except for the cat that Art Cohn threw amongst the pigeons
suggesting a totally different method...

Decisions, decisions! Sometimes too much flexibility can be a downside!

Thanks again,

Bob