Posted to rec.audio.pro
Igor (t4a) Igor (t4a) is offline

Default Narration, part ?

Here we go again. I have changed my microphone, which is now the
RE-20. (I wanted to take the final step in the dynamic realm before
switching to condensers. :-)) I have changed my pre-amp (self-built,
based on the INA 217 - piece of cake though). I have upgraded the
recording room, ... (I know the biggist problem sits in front of all
this ...)

Anyway, I wonder, if anyone could give me a hand. I seem to recall
that a greater distance than 6 inches between speaker ("talent") and
microphone is not advisable. Still at that distance I have a bass-lift
already, despite all claims that there shouldn't be any. This bass-
lift will be gone at a distance of 10 inches but then the microphone
noise (likely Brownian) has already reached unbearability.

But even at 6 inches I am dissatisfied with the noise. I ran a number
of tests, with different pre-amps and I have to say, that I am pretty
sure that the pre-amp is not the problem (with regard to noise).
Further I am quite confident that the room is not the problem, it is
quiet and the well distributed spectrum of the noise is unlikely to
stem from the room. So what remains is: the mike. That however, is
used by others as well, and I have never read about complaints about
noise. So, what is wrong?

Appearantly, the only solution is to move closer to the mike. But then
the sound changes, the bass gets strong and there will be a certain
boominess in the voice. Again, why don't others complain about it? Am
I that special (well, in a negative sense)?

Anyway, if you know how to handle such unprocessed files and how to
convey them to a more pleasant sound please tell me.

Oh, additionally you may tell me everything you like - fire
away ... ;-)

unprocessed, original volume, pre-amp gain: 58.5 dB
http://download.yousendit.com/45CF41FB6A1B4A0B

Attempt at fixing this unprocessed sample:

processed (6 dB louder)
http://download.yousendit.com/3DCD5BA72BA8C20F

both 2.2. MB

Best wishes,
Igor

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 00:40:47 -0700, "Igor (t4a)" wrote:

[...]

Still trying?

OK, first, if you are finding microphone noise getting too much when
you are more than 10 inches away, then you are speaking much too
softly and you need to increase your volume.

As for the bass lift - why is that a problem? Just get rid of it. Your
daw has all the tools you need in its eq section to remove this. I
made it sound ok with a low cut filter starting at about 1kHz, and
reaching -12dB at about 100Hz. Then I tamed the sibilance by
depressing the region from 6 to 10kHz by about 5dB. You can set all
that up on a single graphic or parametric eq.

Finally, if that microphone genuinely is too noisy, then just buy a
condenser. Look for a quiet one, but believe me, even a not-so-quiet
one is still going to be much quieter than even a very good room.

Oh, and the processed version sounds much worse than the original.
Don't do that - whatever it was.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Oct 23, 3:40 am, "Igor (t4a)" wrote:
Here we go again. I have changed my microphone, which is now the
RE-20

I seem to recall
that a greater distance than 6 inches between speaker ("talent") and
microphone is not advisable. Still at that distance I have a bass-lift
already, despite all claims that there shouldn't be any. This bass-
lift will be gone at a distance of 10 inches but then the microphone
noise (likely Brownian) has already reached unbearability.

The number of inches is arbitrary. Is the objectionable noise really
from the mic? Can you replace the mic with a 150 ohm resistor, and, at
the same gain setting that you needed to get sufficient level with
your talent at 10 inches, make the noise go away? The RE20 is a
relatively low-sensitivity mic and needs quite a bit of gain. Preamps
hiss when the gain is turned way up. Either way, you have a problem
you can't live with. You need either louder talent, a quieter preamp,
a higher output mic, or you need to move in closer.

I am pretty
sure that the pre-amp is not the problem (with regard to noise).
Further I am quite confident that the room is not the problem,

It's easy to determine. You should be more sure than "pretty sure" and
"quite confident" so that you know what problem you need to solve.

Appearantly, the only solution is to move closer to the mike. But then
the sound changes, the bass gets strong and there will be a certain
boominess in the voice. Again, why don't others complain about it?

Others don't mind using a equalizer, they have the room treated
properly, and they have talent with the right kind of voice, or all of
the above. Turn the knobs until it sounds right to you and don't worry
that you're changing the sound of the mic. I assume that changing the
talent is out of the question, but it's worth some experimentation.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Igor (t4a)" wrote in message
oups.com...

Here we go again. I have changed my microphone, which is now the
RE-20. (I wanted to take the final step in the dynamic realm before
switching to condensers. :-)) I have changed my pre-amp (self-built,
based on the INA 217 - piece of cake though). I have upgraded the
recording room, ... (I know the biggist problem sits in front of all
this ...)

Anyway, I wonder, if anyone could give me a hand. I seem to recall
that a greater distance than 6 inches between speaker ("talent") and
microphone is not advisable. Still at that distance I have a bass-lift
already, despite all claims that there shouldn't be any. This bass-
lift will be gone at a distance of 10 inches but then the microphone
noise (likely Brownian) has already reached unbearability.

As far as what Don said about equalization, I could only repeat it.

I don't know about this Brownian noise, though.

My analysis shows the most audible and highest peaks of measurable noise are
about equal and at 50, 100, and 150 Hz. My first guess is fluorescent
lighing, but that is just a guess.

But even at 6 inches I am dissatisfied with the noise. I ran a number
of tests, with different pre-amps and I have to say, that I am pretty
sure that the pre-amp is not the problem (with regard to noise).

Some of the anti-sibillance filtering that Don suggested would help with the
high frequency noise. I generally go after sibillance more agressively -
using a swept -12 dB per octave filter.

Further I am quite confident that the room is not the problem, it is
quiet and the well distributed spectrum of the noise is unlikely to
stem from the room. So what remains is: the mike. That however, is
used by others as well, and I have never read about complaints about
noise. So, what is wrong?

The noise I find is about -70 dB down. That's not unusual for a real world
room/mic combination.

Appearantly, the only solution is to move closer to the mike. But then
the sound changes, the bass gets strong and there will be a certain
boominess in the voice. Again, why don't others complain about it?

They probably just equalize the problem out of existence.

Am I that special (well, in a negative sense)?

Your voice may be on the soft side.

Anyway, if you know how to handle such unprocessed files and how to
convey them to a more pleasant sound please tell me.

What Don said, only he seems to have a light hand. I do some sound
reinforcement work and I'm not so shy when I start twisting knobs on the
ole' parametric.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Igor (t4a) wrote:

Anyway, I wonder, if anyone could give me a hand. I seem to recall
that a greater distance than 6 inches between speaker ("talent") and
microphone is not advisable. Still at that distance I have a bass-lift
already, despite all claims that there shouldn't be any. This bass-
lift will be gone at a distance of 10 inches but then the microphone
noise (likely Brownian) has already reached unbearability.

The microphone noise consists of both thermal noise from the resistance
of the windings, and Brownian noise on the element.

But your problem is preamplifier noise. Listen to it... it isn't Gaussian.

The RE-20 will give you a little bass boost if you get up close to it on
the side. If you want to close-work it, it's different than most
microphones. But you won't be able to do anything until you deal with
the noise issue.

But even at 6 inches I am dissatisfied with the noise. I ran a number
of tests, with different pre-amps and I have to say, that I am pretty
sure that the pre-amp is not the problem (with regard to noise).
Further I am quite confident that the room is not the problem, it is
quiet and the well distributed spectrum of the noise is unlikely to
stem from the room. So what remains is: the mike. That however, is
used by others as well, and I have never read about complaints about
noise. So, what is wrong?

What is wrong is that the INA217 is pretty noisy. Consider the THAT
replacement part if you absolutely MUST use one of those things.

unprocessed, original volume, pre-amp gain: 58.5 dB
http://download.yousendit.com/45CF41FB6A1B4A0B

That's noisy all right.

Attempt at fixing this unprocessed sample:

processed (6 dB louder)
http://download.yousendit.com/3DCD5BA72BA8C20F

Whatever that was, it sounds awful. Don't do that.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Igor (t4a) Igor (t4a) is offline

...This bass-
lift will be gone at a distance of 10 inches but then the microphone
noise (likely Brownian) has already reached unbearability.

As far as what Don said about equalization, I could only repeat it.

I don't know about this Brownian noise, though.

My analysis shows the most audible and highest peaks of measurable noise are
about equal and at 50, 100, and 150 Hz. My first guess is fluorescent
lighing, but that is just a guess.

No. there is none around. I am not sure if it is magnetically induced
or if it is of acoustic origin.

But even at 6 inches I am dissatisfied with the noise. I ran a number
of tests, with different pre-amps and I have to say, that I am pretty
sure that the pre-amp is not the problem (with regard to noise).

Some of the anti-sibillance filtering that Don suggested would help with the
high frequency noise. I generally go after sibillance more agressively -
using a swept -12 dB per octave filter.

Do you mean to reduce by 12 dB instead of the suggested 5 dB in the
region between 5 to 10 kHz?

Further I am quite confident that the room is not the problem, it is
quiet and the well distributed spectrum of the noise is unlikely to
stem from the room. So what remains is: the mike. That however, is
used by others as well, and I have never read about complaints about
noise. So, what is wrong?

The noise I find is about -70 dB down. That's not unusual for a real world
room/mic combination.

This is a today's recording:
quiet room* - 150 Ohms** - sc**
*RE-20
*microphone cable attached

http://download.yousendit.com/7612ABA228BA66D3

I've had better figures but this is from today. According to my
software I get for the
RE-20 -68.6 dB
150 Ohms: -74.3 dB
short circuit: -77.9 dB

Appearantly, the only solution is to move closer to the mike. But then
the sound changes, the bass gets strong and there will be a certain
boominess in the voice. Again, why don't others complain about it?

They probably just equalize the problem out of existence.

Am I that special (well, in a negative sense)?

Your voice may be on the soft side.

This is a new realization. I should remember my time in military
service.

Anyway, if you know how to handle such unprocessed files and how to
convey them to a more pleasant sound please tell me.

What Don said, only he seems to have a light hand. I do some sound
reinforcement work and I'm not so shy when I start twisting knobs on the
ole' parametric.

I seem to be at war with those gliders. I hear that it's wrong but I
can't get it right.

Thank you very much.

Best wishes,
Igor

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 12:20:41 -0700, "Igor (t4a)" wrote:

I seem to be at war with those gliders. I hear that it's wrong but I
can't get it right.

Thank you very much.

There is a trick to this. First don't try and fix what is wrong - try
and make it worse. Move those faders up until you find the one or few
that makes he sibilance worse. Now take those same faders and move
them down, and they will fix the problem.

That is a standard quick method of finding problems.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Igor (t4a) Igor (t4a) is offline

Still trying?

Yes, I am. That noise hurdle appears rather high.

OK, first, if you are finding microphone noise getting too much when
you are more than 10 inches away, then you are speaking much too
softly and you need to increase your volume.

Okay.

As for the bass lift - why is that a problem? Just get rid of it. Your
daw has all the tools you need in its eq section to remove this. I
made it sound ok with a low cut filter starting at about 1kHz, and
reaching -12dB at about 100Hz. Then I tamed the sibilance by
depressing the region from 6 to 10kHz by about 5dB. You can set all
that up on a single graphic or parametric eq.

Thanks for telling me what to do. I simply had no clue.

Finally, if that microphone genuinely is too noisy, then just buy a
condenser. Look for a quiet one, but believe me, even a not-so-quiet
one is still going to be much quieter than even a very good room.

I can't wait for experiencing that.

Oh, and the processed version sounds much worse than the original.
Don't do that - whatever it was.

I'll keep that it mind.

Thanks again.

Best wishes,
Igor

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Igor (t4a) Igor (t4a) is offline

On 23 Okt., 15:22, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Igor (t4a) wrote:

...This bass-
lift will be gone at a distance of 10 inches but then the microphone
noise (likely Brownian) has already reached unbearability.

The microphone noise consists of both thermal noise from the resistance
of the windings, and Brownian noise on the element.

But your problem is preamplifier noise. Listen to it... it isn't Gaussian.

Hm. The frequency analysis with the connected mike looks different
from the resistor. While the distortions from the mains frequency are
obvious I am really bothered with that noise above 2 kHz. Where might
that come from? I thought the microphone had just that noise pattern.

The RE-20 will give you a little bass boost if you get up close to it on
the side. If you want to close-work it, it's different than most
microphones. But you won't be able to do anything until you deal with
the noise issue.

I agree.

But even at 6 inches I am dissatisfied with the noise. I ran a number
of tests, with different pre-amps and I have to say, that I am pretty
sure that the pre-amp is not the problem (with regard to noise).
Further I am quite confident that the room is not the problem, it is
quiet and the well distributed spectrum of the noise is unlikely to
stem from the room. So what remains is: the mike. That however, is
used by others as well, and I have never read about complaints about
noise. So, what is wrong?

What is wrong is that the INA217 is pretty noisy. Consider the THAT
replacement part if you absolutely MUST use one of those things.

Do you mean the 1510? How much noise reduction would you expect
roughly?

Best wishes,
Igor

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 12:20:41 -0700, "Igor (t4a)" wrote:

This is a today's recording:
quiet room* - 150 Ohms** - sc**
*RE-20
*microphone cable attached

http://download.yousendit.com/7612ABA228BA66D3

I don't know if it will help you with identification, but I have
isolated the hum signal from the RE20 part of the recording. It is not
just 50Hz, there is something else beating through it.

http://81.174.169.10/odds/re20_just_the_hum.mp3

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Oct 23, 3:45 pm, "Igor (t4a)" wrote:

Hm. The frequency analysis with the connected mike looks different
from the resistor.

That's to be expected. With the mic you have acoustic plus electrical
noise while with the resistor instead of the mic, you have only the
electrical noise.

While the distortions from the mains frequency are
obvious I am really bothered with that noise above 2 kHz. Where might
that come from? I thought the microphone had just that noise pattern.

That's "hiss" and it's electrical, in the preamp. All preamps do that
when running near full gain. Just for comparison, this Mackie 1200F
mic preamp with A/D converter and Firewire interface gives me a noise
level of around -72 dBFS with the gain up full. It's not likely that
anything other than a much more sophisticated design would give you
more than about 3 dB less noise. When you take the gain into account,
that's pretty close to the theoretical limit.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Igor (t4a) wrote:
On 23 Okt., 15:22, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

What is wrong is that the INA217 is pretty noisy. Consider the THAT
replacement part if you absolutely MUST use one of those things.

Do you mean the 1510? How much noise reduction would you expect
roughly?

Either the 1510 or the 1512. The issue in part is that the noise spectrum
is going to change. I'd check your layout carefully, though, and see where
those mains peaks are coming from too.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Boris Lau Boris Lau is offline

Don Pearce wrote:
I don't know if it will help you with identification, but I have
isolated the hum signal from the RE20 part of the recording. It is not
just 50Hz, there is something else beating through it.

http://81.174.169.10/odds/re20_just_the_hum.mp3

Sounds like Star Wars to me...

Boris

--
http://www.borislau.de - computer science, music, photos
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Igor (t4a) Igor (t4a) is offline

I am pretty
sure that the pre-amp is not the problem (with regard to noise).
Further I am quite confident that the room is not the problem,

It's easy to determine. You should be more sure than "pretty sure" and
"quite confident" so that you know what problem you need to solve.

You are right. If you look at my answer to Arny there is a link to an
actual recording. But even if the noise were equal to the 150 Ohms
noise it'd would be probably still too loud.

Appearantly, the only solution is to move closer to the mike. But then
the sound changes, the bass gets strong and there will be a certain
boominess in the voice. Again, why don't others complain about it?

Others don't mind using a equalizer, they have the room treated
properly, and they have talent with the right kind of voice, or all of
the above. Turn the knobs until it sounds right to you and don't worry
that you're changing the sound of the mic. I assume that changing the
talent is out of the question, but it's worth some experimentation.

Changing the talent _is_ out of the question. He is my only fan,
funder and lobbyist.

Best wishes,
Igor

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Igor (t4a) Igor (t4a) is offline

On 23 Okt., 21:26, (Don Pearce) wrote:
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 12:20:41 -0700, "Igor (t4a)" wrote:
I seem to be at war with those gliders. I hear that it's wrong but I
can't get it right.

Thank you very much.

There is a trick to this. First don't try and fix what is wrong - try
and make it worse. Move those faders up until you find the one or few
that makes he sibilance worse. Now take those same faders and move
them down, and they will fix the problem.

Well, now that I have checked the result on my big stereo I have to
say, I am impressed with the sound quality. At the same time my
weaknesses are exposed clearer than ever, the boominess and sibilance
appearantly covered some of those.

That is a standard quick method of finding problems.

That was truly great help. I'll frame this advice and hang in on the
wall over the screen.

Best wishes,
Igor

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Igor (t4a) Igor (t4a) is offline

On 23 Okt., 22:27, Mike Rivers wrote:
[...]

That is what we had worked out during comparison measurements also.
Epecially when comparing different pre-amps a subjective advantage
dissappeared after the gains were equalized. There are great
differences in the low frequency region though.

The mains hum problem in my pre-amp was much less prominent during
former measurements. I have to check were that might come from. I
looks as if it comes via the microphone because when a resistor
replaces the mic is is less prominent. It could be caused by the
heating.

(same link that I posted as a reply to Arny)
quiet room* - 150 Ohms** - sc**
*RE-20
*microphone cable attached

http://download.yousendit.com/7612ABA228BA66D3

I've had better figures but this is from today. According to my
software I get for the
RE-20 -68.6 dB
150 Ohms: -74.3 dB
short circuit: -77.9 dB

Thanks again.

Best wishes,
Igor

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Igor (t4a) Igor (t4a) is offline

On 23 Okt., 22:46, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Igor (t4a) wrote:
On 23 Okt., 15:22, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

What is wrong is that the INA217 is pretty noisy. Consider the THAT
replacement part if you absolutely MUST use one of those things.

Do you mean the 1510? How much noise reduction would you expect
roughly?

Either the 1510 or the 1512. The issue in part is that the noise spectrum
is going to change. I'd check your layout carefully, though, and see where
those mains peaks are coming from too.

Thank you, Scott. Farnell has the 1510 in stock. Since it is a drop-in
replacement there should not be any problems. About the layout you are
right. My dark side here is the housing - I must admit ...

Best wishes,
Igor

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Igor (t4a) Igor (t4a) is offline

On 24 Okt., 00:39, Boris Lau wrote:
Don Pearce wrote:
I don't know if it will help you with identification, but I have
isolated the hum signal from the RE20 part of the recording. It is not
just 50Hz, there is something else beating through it.

http://81.174.169.10/odds/re20_just_the_hum.mp3

Sounds like Star Wars to me...

Ist der Ehrenberg noch da? Ist schon 'ne Weile her, als ich da jeden
Morgen hinaufkraxeln mußte ...

Gruß
Igor

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Igor (t4a) wrote:
On 23 Okt., 15:22, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

What is wrong is that the INA217 is pretty noisy. Consider the THAT
replacement part if you absolutely MUST use one of those things.

Do you mean the 1510? How much noise reduction would you expect
roughly?

Either the 1510 or the 1512. The issue in part is that the noise spectrum
is going to change. I'd check your layout carefully, though, and see where
those mains peaks are coming from too.

Thank you, Scott. Farnell has the 1510 in stock. Since it is a drop-in
replacement there should not be any problems. About the layout you are
right. My dark side here is the housing - I must admit ...

The 1512 will be a little quieter and you can get more gain out of it,
but the 1510 will drop in without any resistor changes.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Igor (t4a) wrote:
On 23 Okt., 15:22, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

What is wrong is that the INA217 is pretty noisy. Consider the THAT
replacement part if you absolutely MUST use one of those things.

Do you mean the 1510? How much noise reduction would you expect
roughly?

Either the 1510 or the 1512. The issue in part is that the noise spectrum
is going to change. I'd check your layout carefully, though, and see where
those mains peaks are coming from too.

Thank you, Scott. Farnell has the 1510 in stock. Since it is a drop-in
replacement there should not be any problems. About the layout you are
right. My dark side here is the housing - I must admit ...

The 1512 will be a little quieter and you can get more gain out of it,
but the 1510 will drop in without any resistor changes.
--scott

Doing the sums, it is clear that the 1510 and 1512 are optimized for a
600 ohm source, but they are only a little worse at 150. Their noise
specs appear to be identical, by the way. I'm guessing that individual
samples of each may be quieter or noisier.

They come out about 9dB quieter than an RNP - why is that thing so
popular?

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Don Pearce wrote:
600 ohm source, but they are only a little worse at 150. Their noise
specs appear to be identical, by the way. I'm guessing that individual
samples of each may be quieter or noisier.

Yup. Consistency is pretty good, though. These guys get surprisingly
tight process control... even their transistor arrays all have very close
Hfe right off the line.

They come out about 9dB quieter than an RNP - why is that thing so
popular?

It sounds good. Might have to do with loading, might have to do with
distortion spectrum. Noise isn't everything, unless of course you have
a 77DX, in which case it probably is.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Igor (t4a) wrote:
Ist der Ehrenberg noch da? Ist schon 'ne Weile her, als ich da jeden
Morgen hinaufkraxeln mußte ...

Vermutlich schon, ich bin seit nem guten halben Jahr da weg...

Gruß Boris

--
http://www.borislau.de - computer science, music, photos