Posted to rec.audio.pro
stv stv is offline

Default Best mp3 converter(s) ?

Dinosaur that I am, I don't deal much with mp3s, but now I find that I
need to do some mix
conversions to mp3s.

What's the current 'state of the industry' for making mp3s? Ok...
'state of the art,' too...

I use Macs.

Many thanks,

stv

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 19:35:26 -0000, stv
wrote:

Dinosaur that I am, I don't deal much with mp3s, but now I find that I
need to do some mix
conversions to mp3s.

What's the current 'state of the industry' for making mp3s? Ok...
'state of the art,' too...

I use Macs.

Many thanks,

stv

I think Lame is still up near, if not right at the top for MP3
creation.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

stv wrote:

Dinosaur that I am, I don't deal much with mp3s, but now I find that I
need to do some mix
conversions to mp3s.

What's the current 'state of the industry' for making mp3s? Ok...
'state of the art,' too...

I use Macs.

This is a good question to put into DAW-Mac:

I just converted some tunes using iTunes. Worked okay, but I'm new
enough at mp3ing that my opinion isn't worth much, even to me.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris Whealy Chris Whealy is offline

stv wrote:
Dinosaur that I am, I don't deal much with mp3s, but now I find that I need to do some mix conversions to mp3s.

What's the current 'state of the industry' for making mp3s? Ok...
'state of the art,' too...

I use Macs.

Commercial products often include their own MP3 tools, but if you want a
widely used freebie tool, download LameLib. Other free products like
Audacity assume that some variant of Lame will be available for MP3
manipulation.

For Mac, you can get it from he

Chris W

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
But the words of the wise are quiet and few.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Kotheimer Paul Kotheimer is offline

I think Lame is still up near, if not right at the top for MP3
creation.

Pearce Consultinghttp://www.pearce.uk.com

If by "right at the top" you mean free, then yes. Otherwise no, LAME
is inferior for most applications...which is why Frauenhoefer
continues to rake in millions in licensing fees when software makers
want to incorporate their encoder.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] vdubreeze@earthlink.net is offline

ITunes is great for what it does well, and adding LAME to it using any
of several free LAME installers is very handy so you can still
organize and encode within the same app.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
clubsprint clubsprint is offline

Easy CD-DA Extractor by www.poikosoft.com is hard to beat.

wrote in message
ps.com...
ITunes is great for what it does well, and adding LAME to it using any
of several free LAME installers is very handy so you can still
organize and encode within the same app.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Marc Wielage[_2_] Marc Wielage[_2_] is offline

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 12:35:26 -0700, stv wrote
(in article . com):

What's the current 'state of the industry' for making mp3s? Ok...
'state of the art,' too...
------------------------------snip------------------------------

The Fraunhofer (FHG) codec in iTunes 7.4x is pretty damned good for Mac OSX.
Fraunhofer and LAME are neck-and-neck these days (October of 2007). LAME is
up to version 3.97, and it sounds OK to me as well -- but you can't be iTunes
for ease-of-use under OSX.

A good source for debates on which MP3 encoder is best can be found on the
HydrogenAudio discussion group:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org

The general theory seems to be, the higher the bitrate, the fewer differences
there are between codecs. Lower bitrates are much harder to pull off without
artifacts, even with speech.

--MFW

How do I tell which A/D Converter is better Matthias Pro Audio 17 July 29th 06 09:01 PM
a/d converter Gigio Pro Audio 8 February 14th 06 12:32 AM
Where to buy D/A converter mirza323 Tech 3 March 17th 05 07:18 PM
Echo Gina da converter vs Apogee da converter bj Pro Audio 5 January 27th 05 04:25 PM
WTB: D/A CONVERTER, USED Sonnysound Vacuum Tubes 1 November 1st 04 03:19 AM