Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound
andrejs eigus andrejs eigus is offline

Default Tascam HD-P2 and 16GB compact flash cards

just thought this information will be useful to owners of the Tascam HD-P2
recorder:

Dear Mr. Eigus,

It is possible to use as well 16GB CF-Cards, but the actual operation
System gives you access to max. 8 GB of it. So there is actually no
advantage of using a 16GB Card instead of the 8GB card. But it is planned
to support the 16GB Cards with the next firmware updates, so there is no
disadvantage of buying already a 16 GB Card and use actually just 8 GB
of them.

Best Regards

Dirk Born
Product Manager
TASCAM Division

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound
[email protected] AdmNaismith@adelphia.net is offline

On Oct 22, 9:55 am, "andrejs eigus" wrote:
just thought this information will be useful to owners of the Tascam HD-P2
recorder:

Dear Mr. Eigus,
It is possible to use as well 16GB CF-Cards, but the actual operation
System gives you access to max. 8 GB of it. So there is actually no
advantage of using a 16GB Card instead of the 8GB card. But it is planned
to support the 16GB Cards with the next firmware updates, so there is no
disadvantage of buying already a 16 GB Card and use actually just 8 GB
of them.
Best Regards
Dirk Born
Product Manager
TASCAM Division

This is good to know, but it's not really wise to keep too much
digital info consolidated in one place. Remember- digital data does
not exist unless it's in at least two places at once.

That said, 16gig cards moves the HD-P2 into mass data acquisition
territory and gives you a good reason to use the higher sampling rates.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound
andrejs eigus andrejs eigus is offline

It is possible to use as well 16GB CF-Cards, but the actual operation
System gives you access to max. 8 GB of it. So there is actually no
advantage of using a 16GB Card instead of the 8GB card. But it is
planned
to support the 16GB Cards with the next firmware updates, so there is no
disadvantage of buying already a 16 GB Card and use actually just 8 GB
of them.

This is good to know, but it's not really wise to keep too much
digital info consolidated in one place. Remember- digital data does
not exist unless it's in at least two places at once.

That said, 16gig cards moves the HD-P2 into mass data acquisition
territory and gives you a good reason to use the higher sampling rates.

well, in my opinion, having the opportunity of using the 16GB CF card makes
perfect sense when you want to record 8 hours of 96/24 audio without
interruption. so it indeed depends on the application and willing to use
higher than 48 sampling rates. what if you want to record yourself while
you are dreaming at 96khz, for instance? 4 hours is just not enough!

-andrejs

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound
Philip Perkins Philip Perkins is offline

On Oct 22, 10:57 am, "andrejs eigus" wrote:
[...]

It would be nice to get a whole larger project on a single card (while
making daily backups of course), but recording @ 96k on the P2 isn't
something I'd especially recommend anyhow.
Above 24/48 the quality of the P2's analog audio electronics and
convertors keep you from getting much if any benefit along w/ the
bigger storage footprint. Do a search here for some testing
Jay Rose et al did on the HDP2. I like the P2 a lot and use it all
the time, but it does have some limitations--remember, this is a $900
recorder w/ TC and trilevel sync features....

Philip Perkins

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound
andrejs eigus andrejs eigus is offline

It would be nice to get a whole larger project on a single card (while
making daily backups of course), but recording @ 96k on the P2 isn't
something I'd especially recommend anyhow.
Above 24/48 the quality of the P2's analog audio electronics and
convertors keep you from getting much if any benefit along w/ the
bigger storage footprint. Do a search here for some testing
Jay Rose et al did on the HDP2. I like the P2 a lot and use it all
the time, but it does have some limitations--remember, this is a $900
recorder w/ TC and trilevel sync features....

i should have mentioned that i personally use an external grace preamp (V3)
with the P2, connected via SP/DIF link. i am so used to this setup that i
forgot when i used the P2 alone. so i really would want to have a
possibility to make longer recordings if and when applicable.

-andrejs

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Oct 22, 3:22 pm, Philip Perkins wrote:

It would be nice to get a whole larger project on a single card (while
making daily backups of course), but recording @ 96k on the P2 isn't
something I'd especially recommend anyhow.
Above 24/48 the quality of the P2's analog audio electronics and
convertors keep you from getting much if any benefit along w/ the
bigger storage footprint.

Well, for about the price of an HD-P2 and a couple of 16 GB cards (at
today's prices), you can buy a Korg MR-1000 which does a little sound
better at 96 kHz than at 44.1 kHz, and a little better yet in DSD,
though 192 kHz is a complete waste unless you have a client who
requires it and watches over your shoulder to be sure you don't record
at a lower rate and convert it later.

And you can always move the files from the Korg's internal hard drive
to a memory card for backup. g

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound
Whitney Ince Whitney Ince is offline

On Oct 22, 5:02 pm, wrote:
[...]

I agree with Phil, I love my tascam but know its limitations I got
mine brand new for $650.00 on ebay from a Tascam Dealer and I have 3
sandisk pro 4 gb cards for it. I only do a few double system jobs
these days so it is perfect for my needs. I looked at the Korg what
makes it better than the tascam

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound

On Oct 22, 6:23 pm, Whitney Ince wrote:
I looked at the Korg what
makes it better than the tascam

If you need time code, then the Korg is out. I don't, but as I've said
many times before here, I need a large amount of recording time
without the need to change memory cards. With its 40 GB internal hard
drive, it's better for me than the TASCAM. Though it can sound better,
that doesn't really matter for most of my applications, which would be
recording at 44.1 kHz, 16-bit. I also think the Korg is easier to use
than the TASCAM but that's just personal preference and not something
to argue about.

And most important, it doesn't cost as much as a Sound Devices 744T -
which offers both an internal hard drive and flash memory, all sorts
of recording modes, and time code.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound

On Oct 22, 3:53 pm, Mike Rivers wrote:
On Oct 22, 6:23 pm, Whitney Ince wrote:

I looked at the Korg what
makes it better than the tascam

If you need time code, then the Korg is out. I don't, but as I've said
many times before here, I need a large amount of recording time
without the need to change memory cards. With its 40 GB internal hard
drive, it's better for me than the TASCAM. Though it can sound better,
that doesn't really matter for most of my applications, which would be
recording at 44.1 kHz, 16-bit. I also think the Korg is easier to use
than the TASCAM but that's just personal preference and not something
to argue about.

And most important, it doesn't cost as much as a Sound Devices 744T -
which offers both an internal hard drive and flash memory, all sorts
of recording modes, and time code.

A closer comparison is the 702T, which I have as well. Both have
their place in my work.
For most of us on RAMPS the TC thing is a dealbreaker (also ext.
clock).

Philip Perkins

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound

On Oct 22, 8:55 pm, Philip Perkins wrote:

A closer comparison is the 702T, which I have as well. Both have
their place in my work.

Isn't the 702 the one without the hard drive? Seems iike I recall
reading that it can record directly to an external Firewire drive. Is
that correct? That's something that I wished the TASCAM could do. If
it wasn't for the cost, I could get along with a recorder like that -
recording to flash memory when I don't need extended time, and plug in
a disk drive when I do. How do I get one for half price? g

For most of us on RAMPS the TC thing is a dealbreaker (also ext.
clock).

WE are on rec.audio.pro. I'm only posting to RAMPS because you did.