Posted to rec.audio.pro
No Name

Default A new set of headphones

I'm down to one set of phones--Sony V6. I'd like to add new phones with
higher impedance, something closer to 200 ohms. I'd also like them to be
open, rather than closed like the Sony. What's the best choice under $100?

Thanks,

Norm Strong

Posted to rec.audio.pro
nebulax nebulax is offline

On Oct 20, 1:37 pm, wrote:
I'm down to one set of phones--Sony V6. I'd like to add new phones with
higher impedance, something closer to 200 ohms. I'd also like them to be
open, rather than closed like the Sony. What's the best choice under $100?

Thanks,

Norm Strong

Maybe some of the lesser expensive Grado phones, like the SR-80's. I
don't know their impedance, but they seem to be able to work with just
about any audio source (like iPods, portable cd players, etc).

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message
news
I'm down to one set of phones--Sony V6. I'd like to add new phones with
higher impedance, something closer to 200 ohms. I'd also like them to be
open, rather than closed like the Sony. What's the best choice under
$100?

Why are you interested in phones with such a high impedance? Intending to
drive them off of a line level source?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

nebulax wrote:
On Oct 20, 1:37 pm, wrote:
I'm down to one set of phones--Sony V6. I'd like to add new phones with
higher impedance, something closer to 200 ohms. I'd also like them to be
open, rather than closed like the Sony. What's the best choice under $100?

Maybe some of the lesser expensive Grado phones, like the SR-80's. I
don't know their impedance, but they seem to be able to work with just
about any audio source (like iPods, portable cd players, etc).

Those are close to 50 ohms, actually, and while they'll work with just
about anything, they sound a lot better given a super-low-Z source. Try
driving them from a power amp and see.