Posted to rec.audio.pro
Morph The Cat Morph The  Cat is offline

Default Recording alto sax...

I have a condenser KSM44 (Shure) mic and was wondering what was
the best way to record, so it doesn't sound too harsh or too thin...
Cardioid, Omni pattern?...
thx
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 03:34:20 -0400, Morph The Cat wrote
(in article ):

I have a condenser KSM44 (Shure) mic and was wondering what was
the best way to record, so it doesn't sound too harsh or too thin...
Cardioid, Omni pattern?...
thx

Too harsh usually equals too close
Too thin usually equals too far away or the mic is in the wrong position.
Get the player to play. Wear good headphones. Try all the patterns. Move the
mic around until you hear what you want.

I recorded alto earlier this year for a project.
At http://tinyurl.com/2tknqg listen to Karyn Oliver's "America"

I tried a beyer M160, but the Schoeps cmc641 beat it easily.

I have known some folks who like a raspier, reedier sound, but I think we got
the texture right for the song itself.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Morph The Cat wrote:
I have a condenser KSM44 (Shure) mic and was wondering what was
the best way to record, so it doesn't sound too harsh or too thin...
Cardioid, Omni pattern?...

I dunno, how are you using it that sounds thin?

The key for alto in general is to mike the body of the instrument and
not the bell. Put the microphone maybe at chin level and start adjusting
from there.

The pattern you want has more to do with the room and how much ambience
you can live with (which has to do with how good the ambience sounds).
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Morph The Cat wrote:

I have a condenser KSM44 (Shure) mic and was wondering what was
the best way to record, so it doesn't sound too harsh or too thin...
Cardioid, Omni pattern?...
thx

What's the room like? How far from the instrument are you placing the
mic? If close to the saxe, how is it aimed? Into what preamp is the mic
looking? On what other instruments have you used this mic with success?

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam