Darrell Klein

Default ADAT won't sync to BRC or Other ADAT

I did a Google search and could not find an answer to this question.

I have two Blackface ADATs that don't see much use. I have an editing
project to do using ADAT tapes recorded on Blackface ADATs. Of my two
units, the one with the fewest hours (less than 250) never would
slave. This was never a problem befo I just made it the master to
another ADAT.

I just picked up a BRC, so now it is an issue. The "defective" ADAT
will usually not respond to anything other than the "all input" switch
on the BRC (or the other ADAT if the BRC is out of the chain). But it
does always respond and display to that command.

The connection is obviously a question. I have swapped out sync
cables: all of the cobles work with the BRC and my other ADAT. I
popped the hood of the ADAT henceforth known as "Defecto", but saw no
anomallies. The physical conection seems good when cables are
inserted. I'm wondering is the jack itself is bad.

"Defecto" usually won't respond to it's own panel switchs either if
the BRC or a prior ADAT is in the chain. This includes the so-called
hidden functions (such as displaying which Id it thinks it is).
However, one time it did tell me that it thought it was "Id 8.6" If it
had said "666" I'd be scared, but as it is, I'm just perplexed.

Any ideas or similar experiences?

P.S. i just bought a used one off e-Bay, so I will plod on with the
project, but this thing has less than 259 hours on it and if there is
a fix, I'd like to try it.
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Richard Kuschel" wrote in message ...

Dumb Question--Have you initialized it?

Is it the same firmware version?

Not dumb.... this are the *first* things that popped into my head.

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s.com

Robert Stevens

There is a post somewhere on the tangible technology pages that says a hard
reset will solve this problem (or a similar one, you need to search for it).
Here is the sight though.

http://www.tangible-technology.com/adat/

A hard reset is not the same as the software reset (power plus play and
record).

You need to get a service tech to perform it though. It resets all the
parameters and you need to know how to set some of them back and I don't
want to get into that can of worms.

Rob

"Darrell Klein" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Darrell Klein

"Robert Stevens" wrote in message .com...
There is a post somewhere on the tangible technology pages that says a hard
reset will solve this problem (or a similar one, you need to search for it).
Here is the sight though.

http://www.tangible-technology.com/adat/

A hard reset is not the same as the software reset (power plus play and
record).

You need to get a service tech to perform it though. It resets all the
parameters and you need to know how to set some of them back and I don't
want to get into that can of worms.

Rob

Thanks Rob. Their pages were one of the resources I looked at before I
posted. I guess sending it away is the answer. I was hoping someone
had a similar problem and had fixed it using a squirt of DeOxit
(which, by the way, I tried!).
Robert Stevens

There is a test you can perform to validate the sync in and sync out ports.

These are the instructions an an XT, so you may need to do some research and
find the correct instructions for a BF.

Plug a single sync cable into both the in and out sync connectors on
defecto.
Turn the machine on with the 1-7 record enable buttons pressed. This will
boot it up into test mode
page forward to sync test, press play
Should pretty much say pass within a few seconds.

[...]

Darrell Klein

Thanks Rob!

I am not where the machine is right now, but I'll try this tonight. I
have the BF secret codes somewhere, or maybe I just used XT stuff
earlier, but I did put it through auto test (it passed) but...I had
disconnected the sync cable. I'll give this a shot and post the
results!

I really appreciate your trying to help me puzzle this out.

-Darrell

[...]

Darrell Klein

"Robert Stevens" wrote in message .com...
There is a test you can perform to validate the sync in and sync out ports.

These are the instructions an an XT, so you may need to do some research and
find the correct instructions for a BF.

Curiouser and curiouser...I found a 1993 post by Mike Rivers to the
dat-heads list that goes into all of the tests for the Blackface ADAT
(except for a "SSt" test -?-).

Anyway, I hooked "Defecto" up to itself and it passed every test!
Still the same behavior with the other ADAT and the BRC when asked to
slave: most of the time Defecto just acts like it is in a coma: it
will not respond to the master nor its own controls. About one third
of the time, when queried, it displays "ID 8.7" [I incorrectly typed
"Id 8.6" in a prior post I think]. And about one time in ten, when the
BRC or the other ADAT master tells it to play, it does for about 2 or
3 seconds, then it rewinds to the beginning of the tape.

When hooked to the BRC, it actually made the BRC shut itself off and
restart. I disconnected it! Then, with Defecto slaved to the other
ADAT, the 'good' ADAT flashed "Full" once, which can indicate a bad
sync cable.

I have corresponded with Eddie Ciletti and the problem is of course
that it's cheaper to replace than repair.

I took the top, bottom and back off Defecto this time. Looked at all
the ic cards and solder jobs and again saw no obvious problem. And
like I said earlier, it passed the sself test.

Thanks for listening. The replacement ADAT should arrive tomorrow
anyway...

Darrell