Robert Stevens

Default APIC Mode on an ASUS TUSL2 motherboard

Probably not the best newsgroup to ask, but I know a lot of you guys are
computer guys too and this seems to be a popular motherboard a couple years
back.

So I enable APIC mode in the bios, but don't get an option for an ACPI APIC
pc when I press F5 when installing winders XP.

How do I get the extra IRQ's on this board, or is it just a stub in the
BIOS.

Thanks

Rob

Laurence Payne

So I enable APIC mode in the bios, but don't get an option for an ACPI
APIC
pc when I press F5 when installing winders XP.

How do I get the extra IRQ's on this board, or is it just a stub in the
BIOS.

No XP overrides Bios settings and install ACPI by it self.

IRQ sharing is no problem on XP so you don'r need extra IRQ's . . . your
different boards will share IRQ's without a problem if all has busmaster
drivers so just let XP install and ACPI will be supported.

But you can remove ACPI from XP manually in Device manager under the upper
device "computer" in the device tree.

Are you sure this board does APIC? ACPI, yes.

IRQ sharing is indeed no problem in one sense - everything will
install with no conflicts. But many users have found that putting an
audio card on a shared IRQ is not a good idea. Sharing with the
graphics card is not recommended (usually the slot next to the AGP
slot is hardwired to share IRQ with it). Sharing with a USB
controller is another problem area.

I'm aware of the theory regarding IRQ sharing. But I also run
systems designed for multitrack audio work, and have solved audio
problems by installing Windows XP in non-ACPI mode, allowing me to
manoeuver the sound card onto an unshared IRQ.
Robert Stevens

The BIOS has a place to enable APIC. I was running a Standard PC with XP
and assigning IRQ's in the bios with much success. However, I wanted to get
the extra IRQ's working so I could go back to ACPI mode. I installed a new
XP instance on a new partition as a ACPI Uniprocessor PC and it picked up
the extra IRQ's.

The instructions I had said I needed to install as an ACPI APIC computer,
which wasn't one of the F5 options in the install. As a clue, I
investigated a P4 that installed all by itself as an ACPI Uniprocessor and
it has 22 IRQ's, so I guessed this might work and it seems to have.

Anyway,

Thanks for the help all.

Rob