Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jrauhoff@gmail.com is offline

Default Looking for an analog source selector

I am doing some research right now, and I can't seem to find the exact
product I want. Maybe someone out there can help me.

Here is what I need to do:

This is for a monitoring situation at an FOH mix position. Basically,
the PFL signal from the desk and a talkback mic from the band leader
come out to the console. I am thinking that a small (4 channel)
summing amp with stereo out would work great. There are times when
the FOH guy will want to turn the band leader's mic on and off,
especially if he is trying to concentrate on an instrument or mix he
is PFL-ing. Space is a little bit of an issue, so even a Mackie 1402
is a little big. I am thinking summing amp because I thought it'd be
cool to be able to just push a button to turn the band leader on and
off, and I can't seem to find a small line mixer that has mute buttons
per channel.

Anyone got any ideas?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Oct 18, 12:09 pm, wrote:

This is for a monitoring situation at an FOH mix position. Basically,
the PFL signal from the desk and a talkback mic from the band leader
come out to the console.

There are times when
the FOH guy will want to turn the band leader's mic on and off,
especially if he is trying to concentrate on an instrument or mix he
is PFL-ing. Space is a little bit of an issue, so even a Mackie 1402
is a little big. I am thinking summing amp because I thought it'd be
cool to be able to just push a button to turn the band leader on and
off

Why not just bring the leader's mic into a console input, don't assign
it to a bus that feeds the house (so the audience won't hear it) and
just press the PFL button on that channel when you want to hear what
he's saying?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
[...]

Build it. What you describe consists of four switches and four resistors
since you can live with unbalanced inputs and outputs.

Or get a console that has individual buss mutes.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Oct 18, 1:41 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Build it. What you describe consists of four switches and four resistors
since you can live with unbalanced inputs and outputs.

Or get a console that has individual buss mutes.
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."- Hide quoted text -

Thanks guys.
Yeah, I like the idea of building one because I am really cautious and
don't like to bring stuff like that into the main console (for various
reasons). You know, it's funny about the balanced/unbalanced thing: I
was thinking about just finding an A/V consumer type selector that
allows you to gang the input selections, rather than one at a time.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
Thanks guys.
Yeah, I like the idea of building one because I am really cautious and
don't like to bring stuff like that into the main console (for various
reasons). You know, it's funny about the balanced/unbalanced thing: I
was thinking about just finding an A/V consumer type selector that
allows you to gang the input selections, rather than one at a time.

Most of the consumer selectors with push-buttons will allow you to
depress multiple buttons at once, but they probably don't have breakout
resistors to allow you to properly sum signals. Also they will have
somewhat doubtful RCA connectors.

You could add better connectors to one, and 4.7K series resistors on
each input, but if you're going to do that you might as well just put
the same resistors and connectors in a project box with four toggle
switches.

Source and or fix for bad selector switch on NAD 7020 [email protected] Tech 1 August 12th 06 07:17 PM
For analog fans: BOSS DM-3 DM3 ANALOG DELAY PEDAL VINTAGE RARE [email protected] Tech 0 January 28th 05 05:21 PM
AV Selector Hum from PC Mark General 3 August 29th 04 09:40 PM
simple source selector? hollywood_steve Pro Audio 15 May 25th 04 07:30 PM
simple source selector? hollywood_steve Pro Audio 0 May 25th 04 12:59 AM