Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] henry33@rcn.com is offline

Default Speaker stand help needed

Hello all
1 st time poster. I would like to build for speaker stands for my sons
surround sound. My plan was to basically make a Yankee Candle stand
(or round stand some call it) without the round table top. I would put
a treaded stud to accept the speaker. For those that do not know what
a Candle stand is from shaker times its a 2-3 inch turned Hardwood
column with three legs dovetailed into the bottom of column. My
question is that its a great design to hold a lamp or beverage ( with
the top of course) and will it be okay for a 12" high surround sound
sound speker. i see them for for sale with welded heavyrectaglular
plates on the floor. Is there too much vibration on the hardwood floor
for these three legs and in need of the metal plate?. Other wood ideas
are welcomed.Trying to something nice although it will cost more.
pictures of ideas . Thanks in advance. iI there is a
better place to post this request please reply

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
[...]

Build it. Bang on it with a stick, and feel it. If it isn't dead,
make it dead.

You can never have too much mass, or too low a center of mass.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Oct 16, 2:29 pm, wrote:

a Candle stand is from shaker times its a 2-3 inch turned Hardwood
column with three legs dovetailed into the bottom of column. My
question is that its a great design to hold a lamp or beverage ( with
the top of course) and will it be okay for a 12" high surround sound
sound speker.

I think it will be too unstable. A 12" speaker in a box can weigh
anywhere between about 10 and 50 pounds. The base would have to be
pretty wide to assure that it wouldn't fall over if bumped, and a 2-3"
diameter wooden pole on a wooden base doesn't sound very stable to
me.

I stacked up a pile of cinder blocks for my speaker stands.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
fredbloggstwo fredbloggstwo is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

An alternative and sturdy/simple stand would be to use standard 1" square
steel tube (you can probably get this from a good hardware store) you can
then make a support frame to the exact requirements. The tube has fittings
that allow you to make virtually any box shape. As another poster said, make
sure its safe and can take the weight.

Mike

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

wrote:
[...]

Build it. Put the speakers on top and see how stable...which is IMO
your biggest challenge. Add mass to the base if it doesn't seem safe.
You could either screw the legs to a plate as you say, or perhaps 'load'
the lower end of the column with shot or other heavy material.

I have a pair of 8" solid oak columns, salvaged from a table abandoned
in an alley, that are surprisingly stable, but they weigh something like
25 pounds each. I use them for sofa tables, but will eventually build
them into 'something...'

jak