Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Noll John Noll is offline

Default MCI JH110C tape speed change

Is it possible to alter the tape speed range on a JH110C two track machine?

Ours runs at 30/15/7.5 and I sometimes need to transfer old 3 3/4 ips
tapes so I was wondering it there are any jumpers to convert it to 3 3/4
/ 7.5 / 15.

Thanks JN

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Oct 16, 9:51 am, John Noll wrote:
Is it possible to alter the tape speed range on a JH110C two track machine?

There might be. What you need is a manual. It's probably worth a call
to Steve Sadler or Randy Blevins at Blevins Audio, the MCI experts.
They might just tell you how to do it out of the goodness of their
hearts if it's a simple and easy-to-find jumper or switch (or if the
only way is to change the motor for one with a different sized
capstan), or they may offer to talk you through it for a fee if it's
an involved procedure. Or they'll sell you a manual for a lot of
money, but it'll be worth it if you're going to keep this machine
running.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article zl3Ri.928$H92.185@trnddc07, John Noll wrote:
Is it possible to alter the tape speed range on a JH110C two track machine?

Ours runs at 30/15/7.5 and I sometimes need to transfer old 3 3/4 ips
tapes so I was wondering it there are any jumpers to convert it to 3 3/4
/ 7.5 / 15.

The older JH110 machines would not do the lower consumer speeds, but the
JH110C has servo control so it may just possibly have a setting for the
lower speeds. I know it's possible to strap that motor controller to
turn it into a layback deck. You'll probably need to change the playback
cards to deal with the different EQ, though (and watch out because a lot
of the 3 3/4 tapes you will encounter will require quarter track heads...
Joe Dundovic can set you up with a quarter-track stack for that machine).

I only have a JH110B manual here... but the manual should tell you all you
need to know. Or call Randy Blevins. He'll know.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:
[...]

Thanks Scott & Mike,
I do have the manual and the first thing I did was check that but there
were no indications on how to make such a conversion. The manual does
state that the slower speed range was an option from the factory.

We have three headstacks for this machine. One is a 1/4 track playback
headstack and I am transferring some old home-recorded tapes for a
client. Unfortunately a few of the reels are 3 3/4 ips. The fidelity is
very poor as they were hobbiest recordings so I'm not that concerned
with playback EQ as they are very crude.

I'll try Steve Sadler.

I might just pick up a consumer deck for these types of favors.

John Noll
Retromedia Sound Studios
Red Bank, NJ

http://www.retromedia.net

Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Noll wrote:
Thanks Scott & Mike,
I do have the manual and the first thing I did was check that but there
were no indications on how to make such a conversion. The manual does
state that the slower speed range was an option from the factory.

It should have schematics for the servo boards and for the audio boards.
The audio boards will probably have a different version for the low speed
option, with some resistor and capacitor values changed. It is worth it
to buy a spare pair of playback cards.

We have three headstacks for this machine. One is a 1/4 track playback
headstack and I am transferring some old home-recorded tapes for a
client. Unfortunately a few of the reels are 3 3/4 ips. The fidelity is
very poor as they were hobbiest recordings so I'm not that concerned
with playback EQ as they are very crude.

Never hurts, though.

I might just pick up a consumer deck for these types of favors.

The problem is finding one that had decent sound quality when it was
new, which is still in good condition. The A77 was an old favorite for
the job, but any old ones will probably need new pinch rollers and a lot
of new capacitors at least.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
david correia david correia is offline

In article . com,
Mike Rivers wrote:

On Oct 16, 9:51 am, John Noll wrote:
Is it possible to alter the tape speed range on a JH110C two track machine?

There might be. What you need is a manual. It's probably worth a call
to Steve Sadler or Randy Blevins at Blevins Audio, the MCI experts.
They might just tell you how to do it out of the goodness of their
hearts if it's a simple and easy-to-find jumper or switch (or if the
only way is to change the motor for one with a different sized
capstan), or they may offer to talk you through it for a fee if it's
an involved procedure. Or they'll sell you a manual for a lot of
money, but it'll be worth it if you're going to keep this machine
running.

You could also call and ask John French. He is a helluva nice guy.

Anyone see him at the AES?

www.jrfmagnetics.com/

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
chestek chestek is offline

david correia wrote:

You could also call and ask John French. He is a helluva nice guy.

Anyone see him at the AES?

I heard him talk at the multitrack machine seminar, and have sent him a
bunch of work over the years. Agree....a helluva nice, and extremely
professional, conscientious guy.

JChestek