David Grant

Default room acoustics - looking for ideas

Okay I was checking out my studio's room acoustics today. I just used a sin
wav at a moderate amplitude and slowly swept through the audible ranges. I
found some incredibly big antinodes (areas of constructive interference -
right?) at my normal listening position (mostly mid-low freqs). Despite a
large investment of time I've been unable to come up with a decent solution.

Before I go on, let me explain the setup. Room is 9X8 feet wide and 8 ft
high. Desk is setup along the LONG wall. Monitors are Yorkville YSM-1s.
Pre-existing acoustic treatment is as follows: two corner bass traps behind
the monitors, Primacoustic "Orientique Washboard" on walls to either side of
monitors (mid point along wall), no name brand square of heavy foam centered
on back wall covering ~ 60% of area. Floor is hardwood with medium weight
carpet on area not occupied by the desk. Behind the monitors is a window
covered by wooden shutters. Walls are this disgusting stringy twine-like
wallpaper which I'm itching to tear off soon. Monitors are about 2 feet
from side walls, 1 and a bit from the back, and a little over 2 from one
another.

I checked to make sure it wasn't my soundcard or source, frequency response
through headphones was excellent. Checked to make sure it wasn't the
monitors themselves - tried them in my basement and response was much more
level...no can't move studio down there =(

If I stand up from where I typically sit and listen the freq. response is
much better (but monitors aren't pointed at my ears here so how much of this
is direct?). I tried moving the monitors away from the back of the wall
which helps a tiny bit but not much. Best I managed was with the monitors
dead center in the room... and that's not going to leave me any space to
move =)

I've found very few resources on this stuff so far, but I've read here and
there about some room node calculation software. Would such a tool be of use
to me? Am I going to have to delve deep into the physics of sound to solve
this (which I'm perfectly willing to do) or is this room destined to be poor
for mixing?

Any suggestions with respect to further room treatment, monitor placement,
or otherwise? Anything I forgot to mention that will help you help me?

Thanks,

Dave

Ethan Winer

Dave,

I found some incredibly big antinodes

This is common, and all small rooms like yours have this problem. The short
answer is you need bass traps, and small rooms need more trapping than
larger rooms. A more complete and detailed explanation is in my Acoustics
FAQ:

www.recording.org/users/acoustics

I've read ... about some room node calculation software.

The article above includes this link to my mode calculator:

www.ethanwiner.com/MODECALC.EXE

See the program's online help for an explanation of room modes that goes
beyond what's covered in the article itself.

--Ethan

---------------------
www.realtraps.com
The acoustics experts

Mark T. Wieczorek

YIKES. A cube is the worst possible shape for a room, acoustically
speaking.

Definately check out Ethan Winer's article & room mode calculator.

Also my "bad acoustics with examples" article:

http://www.prosoundreview.com/forum/...hp?threadid=37

should help you recognize what bad acoustics sound like.

Regards,
Mark

--
http://www.marktaw.com/

http://www.prosoundreview.com/
User reviews of pro audio gear

Comments about CES Show "fixes" watch king High End Audio 8 August 1st 04 06:55 PM
Acoustics? langvid High End Audio 2 January 5th 04 08:38 PM
room acoustics Pigdog General 0 August 30th 03 11:48 AM
Room/Speaker interface Wylie Williams High End Audio 16 August 17th 03 10:44 PM
Update to my Graphical Room Mode Calculator Roger W. Norman Pro Audio 1 July 1st 03 02:48 PM