Posted to rec.audio.pro
gregory butterworth gregory butterworth is offline

Default voice over tips please

I will be doing some voice over work soon.
It will be a male voice for a tv documentary.
Are there any well established universal methods.
I was planning to use a re20 or tlm103.
Do you need a really dead room and are there any standard eq boost/cut or
compression settings?
Or is it a case of tweak it on a case by case basis.

Many thanks )

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 09:13:26 -0400, gregory butterworth wrote
(in article ):

I will be doing some voice over work soon.
It will be a male voice for a tv documentary.
Are there any well established universal methods.
I was planning to use a re20 or tlm103.
Do you need a really dead room and are there any standard eq boost/cut or
compression settings?
Or is it a case of tweak it on a case by case basis.

Many thanks )

Either will work. A totally dead room is different than a totally quiet room.
Totally dead refers to the acoustic environment. Totally quiet refers to the
lack of external noise.

A totally dead room has (usually) too much foam on the walls, will rob the
voice of higher frequencies and will make the talent talk louder than they
normally do.

A totally quiet room may have not intervening external noise, but may have
hard surfaces that bounce the voice around a lot.

What you want, ideally, is a totally quiet room with good (but not totally
dead) acoustical design.

Gear adjustment depends on the talent and the gear on a case by case basis
and also has to take into consideration over or under what the voice will
co-exist with in the mix.

TLM 103 or RE20 will work. Careful with the TLM 103 preamp. The wrong one
will make it sound spitty and too bright.

Too much compression will make the voice too prevalent.

If you want the "invisible golf narrator", the talent has to back off to half
voice.

My last narration gig was 68 pages for a training CD. It took pretty much all
day. The sentences and paragraphs were fairly short. I read with as few
breaths as possible and stitched the sentences together in post, leaving a
few breaths in, but taking many out. It made for a much smoother read with
fewer little breaths to take out.

Be aware that putting two pages of copy side by side on the copy stand often
invites the talent to turn his/her head a bit too much.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising[_2_] Roy W. Rising[_2_] is offline

"gregory butterworth" wrote:
I will be doing some voice over work soon.
It will be a male voice for a tv documentary.
Are there any well established universal methods.
I was planning to use a re20 or tlm103.
Do you need a really dead room and are there any standard eq boost/cut or
compression settings?
Or is it a case of tweak it on a case by case basis.

Many thanks )

I strongly recommend the RE20. It gives the VO talent freedom to move
about some, without change due to proximity effect. I, personally, always
use an LA-3A, just barely kicking. It gives me a solid, constant aural
image, keeping more excited moments in good perspective with softer parts.

Close mic'ing takes care of most of the room problems, but a somewhat dead
and very quiet room is recommended.

If the VO is going to a track to be mixed later, save some of the
compression for the mix. Sometimes co-compressing the VO *with* the music
and/or natural sound lets the voice subtly "punch a hole" in the BG,
leaving a fuller track between narration. It takes finesse, but the
results can be superb.

As for EQ, listen for a pleasant Bass/Treble balance and use
shelving/rolloff like a teeter-totter to get the balance that works.

--
~
~ Roy
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] 0junk4me@bellsouth.net is offline

On 2007-10-13 said:
Either will work. A totally dead room is different than a totally
quiet room. Totally dead refers to the acoustic environment.
Totally quiet refers to the lack of external noise.
A totally dead room has (usually) too much foam on the walls, will
rob the voice of higher frequencies and will make the talent talk
louder than they normally do.

AGreed, good explanation for the op.

Too much compression will make the voice too prevalent.
If you want the "invisible golf narrator", the talent has to back
off to half voice.

Agreed. depending on the material with which the vo must
coexist I might employ a compressor or limiter as a ducker
by using the sidechain keyed off the othersources.

My last narration gig was 68 pages for a training CD. It took
pretty much all day. The sentences and paragraphs were fairly short.
I read with as few breaths as possible and stitched the sentences
together in post, leaving a few breaths in, but taking many out.
It made for a much smoother read with fewer little breaths to take
out.

DOne that one too. THose are fun becuse I must read from
braille copy. IF I'm not careful I can get too much noise
from my fingers reading the text. Also as braille pages
hold less information than standard inkprint pages it calls
for more frequent page turns etc.

Be aware that putting two pages of copy side by side on the copy
stand often invites the talent to turn his/her head a bit too much.

AGreed. I discouraged that when recording voice overs for
others. I just told them to shuffle the pages, we'd take
that out.

Richard webb,
Replace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real
email address.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] vdubreeze@earthlink.net is offline

On Oct 13, 9:13 am, "gregory butterworth"
wrote:
Do you need a really dead room and are there any standard eq boost/cut or
compression settings?
Or is it a case of tweak it on a case by case basis.

One important thing regarding eq and compression is that before you
can assume that flat is better (so the choice can be made by the
mixer, and also so that retakes are easier to match) be aware if
you're handing the audio off to does in fact have a system that
enables them to do it easily. I always get the video person's # from
the client and find out where they're at as far as audio. Believe it
or not, some video folks really do regard audio as barely important,
and don't like to/know how to touch it, so they don't.

I nearly always do voice work flat eq (with a touch of low ratio
compression in the Pendulum because I like several eventual stages of
slight compression rather than the aggressive settings needed to set a
completely uncompressed voiceover into a mix, and because the Pendulum
has a great compressor) But I was vaguely horrified once to learn
that the client gave the totally flat 24 bit audio files (as per his
direction) to someone who imported them into a 16 bit PC video session
(lopping off the last bits, no dither) and gave them no further eq or
compression, and only limited the master output. Sounded lame. Now
I assume the client does not have the right answers and politely ask
to talk to the person doing post production. Flat? Sure. Something
else? Sure.

If you have a great preamp with terrific sounding eq and compression
that makes it sound much better to you, you can do no harm with a
little of each, especially in such instances where the post person has
only crummy plugins for both and doesn't like to use much of them.
The key is "little". Use it to improve what's not quite perfect
about the sound, don't do it to boost what you think is a decent sound
just to make it more impressive. The latter is getting to the "don't
eq it if you don't know how what else is in the mix" area while the
former isn't really. (Anyone who has done post has gotten sent
elements that are too bright and it ain't fun) When I get voice
elements to add to a project I'm not hoping for a finished sound, I'm
hoping for something well recorded that will work with everything else
after a little eq, comp, limting, etc.

I do, however resent having to deal with extraneous sounds that
aren't in the clear (paper noise, chair noise, etc.) The room needn't
be totally dead, but you have to find the deadest part of it to
record. If you can hear any reflection at all on the track it's no
good. Kill the reflection with something. And it really does need to
be dead quiet. No computer fans or truck noise. : )

Cheers,

Looking for a tutorial on voice guidance algorithms/ voice guidance application for maps darius Car Audio 4 May 10th 07 01:16 PM
RE@) tips mcnews Pro Audio 3 March 3rd 07 01:57 PM
SQ Tips Jason K Car Audio 12 May 3rd 06 06:44 PM
Tc Helicon Voice Prism vs. Voice Works? SSMusic Pro Audio 0 January 27th 06 07:37 PM
How do I encode Voice and Music Content with Windows Media Audio 9 Voice CH Pro Audio 5 July 5th 04 10:44 PM