Posted to rec.audio.pro
adam79 adam79 is offline

Default fairchild 660/670 rtas plug-in

hey. i'm thinking of buying either the fairchild 660 or 670 plug-in for
pro tools. there is a bundle where you can buy both for $600, but you
can buy them through an ilok transfer for under $100. the 670 is the
stereo version of the 660. has anyone tried both and have an opinion on
which one is the better choice?

thanks,
-adam

Posted to rec.audio.pro
nebulax nebulax is offline

On Oct 13, 4:06 am, adam79 wrote:
hey. i'm thinking of buying either the fairchild 660 or 670 plug-in for
pro tools. there is a bundle where you can buy both for $600, but you
can buy them through an ilok transfer for under $100. the 670 is the
stereo version of the 660. has anyone tried both and have an opinion on
which one is the better choice?

thanks,
-adam

They're both cheaper than the real thing!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

nebulax wrote:
On Oct 13, 4:06 am, adam79 wrote:
hey. i'm thinking of buying either the fairchild 660 or 670 plug-in for
pro tools. there is a bundle where you can buy both for $600, but you
can buy them through an ilok transfer for under $100. the 670 is the
stereo version of the 660. has anyone tried both and have an opinion on
which one is the better choice?

They're both cheaper than the real thing!

I have never used the plugins, only the real thing. If I were given a
choice between them, I'd take the 670, since anything you can do with
a 660 you can do with a 670. But, I'll say these are pretty damn colored
devices and I don't really find them all that useful. I was very glad
when we replaced them with cleaner limiters.

The M-S gadgetry on the 670 is still very handy today, though.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
adam79 adam79 is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

I'd take the 670, since anything you can do with
a 660 you can do with a 670.

so when the 670 give you the option to use the effect as mono or stereo?
if this is the case, why would they even bother with the 660. I read
somewhere that the 660 had a +8db gain that the 670 doesn't have..

thanks,
adam
Posted to rec.audio.pro

adam79 wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

I'd take the 670, since anything you can do with
a 660 you can do with a 670.

so when the 670 give you the option to use the effect as mono or stereo?

Well, you only patch one channel in if you want to use it as mono. Just
like any other stereo device out there.

if this is the case, why would they even bother with the 660. I read
somewhere that the 660 had a +8db gain that the 670 doesn't have..

Well, Fairchild did because not everyone was cutting stereo records
back then. As far as the plugin guys go, I have no idea.