Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

Default Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones

OK. I heard them at AES and I have them on my head right now listening to a
Tom Waits cut from "Blue Valentine." These are seriously right headphones.

Natural, balanced, comfortable, closed back.

Get a pair on your head. Like MDR7506 but flatter; minus the bottom and top
bumps and totally covering your ears.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound
David Morgan \(MAMS\) David Morgan \(MAMS\) is offline

"Ty Ford" wrote in message ...
OK. I heard them at AES and I have them on my head right now listening to a
Tom Waits cut from "Blue Valentine." These are seriously right headphones.

Natural, balanced, comfortable, closed back.

Get a pair on your head. Like MDR7506 but flatter; minus the bottom and top
bumps and totally covering your ears.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Thanks for the heads-up.

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound
[email protected] rsmith@bsstudios.com is offline

On Oct 12, 1:55 pm, Ty Ford wrote:
OK. I heard them at AES and I have them on my head right now listening to a
Tom Waits cut from "Blue Valentine." These are seriously right headphones.

Natural, balanced, comfortable, closed back.

Get a pair on your head. Like MDR7506 but flatter; minus the bottom and top
bumps and totally covering your ears.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Acting and Voiceover Demoshttp://www.tyford.com
Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Thanks Ty. I'll have to audition a pair in the very near future.

Nighthawk at the Diner - veal cutlet, weak coffee etc.

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound
Whitney Ince Whitney Ince is offline

On Oct 14, 11:33 am, wrote:
On Oct 12, 1:55 pm, Ty Ford wrote:

OK. I heard them at AES and I have them on my head right now listening to a
Tom Waits cut from "Blue Valentine." These are seriously right headphones.

Natural, balanced, comfortable, closed back.

Get a pair on your head. Like MDR7506 but flatter; minus the bottom and top
bumps and totally covering your ears.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Acting and Voiceover Demoshttp://www.tyford.com
Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Thanks Ty. I'll have to audition a pair in the very near future.

Nighthawk at the Diner - veal cutlet, weak coffee etc.

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaoshttp://www.bsstudios.com

I sure like the price found them on ebay for $95.00 has anyone else
worn a pair? Can anyone offer a comparison to DT770's?

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound
[email protected] wadevantrease@gmail.com is offline

I've owned a pair for about 8 months now and they are excellent.
Great sound, good isolation( I use them on the subway and it keeps a
good amount of the noise out.) I've worn them for 14+ hours and never
really had any comfort issues. Under hot conditions they'll make you
sweat a little extra, but a small price to pay. I bought my pair for
120 and thought it was the best deal out by far.

Wade Vantrease

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound
[email protected] AdmNaismith@adelphia.net is offline

Under hot conditions they'll make you
sweat a little extra, but a small price to pay.

Don't forget the Garfield Headphone Softies™, These make headphones
100% more comfortable, hot or cold.

These covers might help, too: http://www.scansound.com/Stretchable...one-Covers.htm

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound
[email protected] 20to20.keith@gmail.com is offline

On Oct 13, 7:55 am, Ty Ford wrote:
OK. I heard them at AES and I have them on my head right now listening to a
Tom Waits cut from "Blue Valentine." These are seriously right headphones.

Natural, balanced, comfortable, closed back.

Get a pair on your head. Like MDR7506 but flatter; minus the bottom and top
bumps and totally covering your ears.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Acting and Voiceover Demoshttp://www.tyford.com
Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

I have been recommended the Fostex T40RP Mk.2,are they a close match?

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 11:33:13 -0400, wrote
(in article .com):

On Oct 12, 1:55 pm, Ty Ford wrote:
OK. I heard them at AES and I have them on my head right now listening to a
Tom Waits cut from "Blue Valentine." These are seriously right headphones.

Natural, balanced, comfortable, closed back.

Get a pair on your head. Like MDR7506 but flatter; minus the bottom and top
bumps and totally covering your ears.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Acting and Voiceover Demoshttp://www.tyford.com
Guitar player?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Thanks Ty. I'll have to audition a pair in the very near future.

Nighthawk at the Diner - veal cutlet, weak coffee etc.

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com

Apaprently someone else likes them too. They won a PAR Excellence Award at
AES.

Can I get scrapple at the diner?

(Scrapple: you don't want to know why it tastes so good.)

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound

On Oct 15, 5:04 am, Ty Ford wrote:
On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 11:33:13 -0400, wrote

Tom Waits cut from "Blue Valentine." These are seriously right headphones.

Nighthawks at the Diner - veal cutlet, weak coffee etc.

Can I get scrapple at the diner?
(Scrapple: you don't want to know why it tastes so good.)

Tom Waits (from Nighthawks at the Diner): "My veal cutlet come down,
tried to beat the **** out of my cup of coffee. Coffee just wasn't
strong enough to defend itself."

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound

On Oct 12, 1:55 pm, Ty Ford wrote:
OK. I heard them at AES and I have them on my head right now listening to a
Tom Waits cut from "Blue Valentine." These are seriously right headphones.

Natural, balanced, comfortable, closed back.

Get a pair on your head. Like MDR7506 but flatter; minus the bottom and top
bumps and totally covering your ears.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Acting and Voiceover Demoshttp://www.tyford.com
Guitar player?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Thanks Ty. I'll have to audition a pair in the very near future.

Nighthawk at the Diner - veal cutlet, weak coffee etc.

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com

That'll be $29 and an alligator purse.

Ty

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound
andrejs eigus andrejs eigus is offline

"Ty Ford" wrote in message

OK. I heard them at AES and I have them on my head right now listening to
Tom Waits cut from "Blue Valentine." These are seriously right headphones.

Natural, balanced, comfortable, closed back.

Get a pair on your head. Like MDR7506 but flatter; minus the bottom and
top
bumps and totally covering your ears.

just did. they are awesome! i just can't take them off.........

i am currently listening to some loungey jazz record by Kuniyuki
Takahashi.... sounds so full and no colouration that i noticed so far.

-andrejs

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound

On Oct 19, 8:32 am, "andrejs eigus" wrote:
"Ty Ford" wrote in message

OK. I heard them at AES and I have them on my head right now listening to
Tom Waits cut from "Blue Valentine." These are seriously right headphones.

Natural, balanced, comfortable, closed back.

Get a pair on your head. Like MDR7506 but flatter; minus the bottom and
top
bumps and totally covering your ears.

just did. they are awesome! i just can't take them off.........

i am currently listening to some loungey jazz record by Kuniyuki
Takahashi.... sounds so full and no colouration that i noticed so far.

-andrejs

I'm envious. I've got a pair coming any day now.

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound
andrejs eigus andrejs eigus is offline

just did. they are awesome! i just can't take them off.........

i am currently listening to some loungey jazz record by Kuniyuki
Takahashi.... sounds so full and no colouration that i noticed so
far.

-andrejs

I'm envious. I've got a pair coming any day now.

they also seem to be well made. sit tight on my head and give great
isolation.

feel free to share your experience with them when you can. how much did
you pay?

-andrejs

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound

On Oct 19, 11:30 am, "andrejs eigus" wrote:

feel free to share your experience with them when you can. how much did
you pay?

-andrejs

Don't know the price yet. Probably close to MAP. I asked my friend
that owns a SR rental / pro audio sales place to bring some in.

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound
Russell Dawkins Russell Dawkins is offline

Sounds like a rare find - a closed back that sounds good.
I wish they came with straight cord instead of coiled. Is the cord
detachable?

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound
andrejs eigus andrejs eigus is offline

"Russell Dawkins" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sounds like a rare find - a closed back that sounds good.
I wish they came with straight cord instead of coiled. Is the cord
detachable?

sadly, no.

i too enjoy the feature of detachable cords. like with Ultrasone PROline
750 headphones -- both cords are supplied. very convenient.

-andrejs

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 04:28:12 -0400, andrejs eigus wrote
(in article ):

"Russell Dawkins" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sounds like a rare find - a closed back that sounds good.
I wish they came with straight cord instead of coiled. Is the cord
detachable?

sadly, no.

i too enjoy the feature of detachable cords. like with Ultrasone PROline
750 headphones -- both cords are supplied. very convenient.

-andrejs

I've been using MDR 7506 for years until recently. Coiled cords have never
been a problem. In fact, in some cases, they have helped. Like when the
producer wants to jack in to my mixer and then steps away.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound
andrejs eigus andrejs eigus is offline

I've been using MDR 7506 for years until recently. Coiled cords have never
been a problem. In fact, in some cases, they have helped. Like when the
producer wants to jack in to my mixer and then steps away.

yes, but coiled cords also tend to overwind time to time...

-andrejs

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"andrejs eigus" wrote in message

"Russell Dawkins" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sounds like a rare find - a closed back that sounds good.
I wish they came with straight cord instead of coiled. Is the cord
detachable?

sadly, no.

i too enjoy the feature of detachable cords. like with Ultrasone PROline
750 headphones -- both cords are supplied. very convenient.

My HD 580s are on their third detachable cord. I think that there is a third
party cord that is a different configuration than the Sennheiser cord which
is straight rubberish zip cord.

Headphones vary in terms of how field-serviceable they are if you resort to
tools.

I've had to do some internal work on a pair of AT ATH-AD 700s to maintain
their operation. On balance, I use these to listen to TV and often go to
sleep with them on. So they get beaten up in unprofessional ways. ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Oct 20, 10:21 am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:

My HD 580s are on their third detachable cord.

I have a pair of Fostex T20 phones that I thought had an intermittent
cord. I opened it up and found that it was just poorly soldered at the
earpiece (this one isn't a plug-in cable the later model T20 uses). I
tried to re-solder it and the lug appears to be made of something
unsolderable, at least with normal solder and even using my favorite
liquid flux. I'd probably have to use gaffer tape to get the solder to
stay on.

I'm waiting for a reply from Fostex on what it takes to solder to
those lugs. What's strange is that I'm pretty sure I replaced the cord
on if not this set, another set of the same vintage several years ago
and don't recall having any problems getting the solder to flow.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound
rraudio rraudio is offline

As I recall my studio days, we had many sets of T20s. Aluminum solder
was used to re-solder the cable wires to the driver.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound

On Oct 20, 3:11 pm, rraudio wrote:
As I recall my studio days, we had many sets of T20s. Aluminum solder
was used to re-solder the cable wires to the driver.

That sounds reasonable. The lugs feel kind of soft and they could be
aluminum. I have some aluminum solder but it's pretty heavy stuff and
needs a torch to melt it. I don't think I want to try that on the
headphones.

Know where I can get a small quantity of small diameter soldering-iron-
sized aluminum solder and flux?

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..

I've had to do some internal work on a pair of AT ATH-AD 700s to maintain
their operation. On balance, I use these to listen to TV and often go to
sleep with them on. So they get beaten up in unprofessional ways. ;-)

Someone sorta sat on the ATH AD700s, and this time the plastic around one of
the metal pivots split open like a rotten apple. Oh well,

Found someone offering ATH-M50s on eBay for under $108 including shipping to
my door. They showed up today.

On first listen they sound a lot like the AT ATH-AD 700 and ATH-A 700. May
use the same 45 mm driver. Not as comfortable as the ATH's, but far more
comfortable than Senn HD-280s. They look a lot more robust, more like
conventional pro headphones, and have a coiled cord.

To say that they are smoother than 7506s strikes me as an understatement.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound
andrejs eigus andrejs eigus is offline

Found someone offering ATH-M50s on eBay for under $108 including shipping
to my door. They showed up today.

On first listen they sound a lot like the AT ATH-AD 700 and ATH-A 700. May
use the same 45 mm driver. Not as comfortable as the ATH's

but they are ATH's! ATH-M50.

but far more comfortable than Senn HD-280s. They look a lot more robust,
more like conventional pro headphones, and have a coiled cord.

To say that they are smoother than 7506s strikes me as an understatement.

can you please elaborate? i love these headphones for the similar reasons
Ty Ford loves them. i find their comfort ratio 7/10, their isolation at
8/10 and the smoothness at 10/10.

so i'd like to learn about your final verdict exactly in order to find out
whether we could all argue.

-andrejs

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound
Geoff Geoff is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:
[...]

Just got a set but only cursory listen so far. Initial impressions:

- Far more comfortable that HD280s - not like a smelly plastic head-vice.
- Not as good isolation (either direction) as HD280
- Good compromise between curly and straight cable, and not too 'stiff'.
- Nice smooth sound, with non-strident treble and full deep but not
obtrusive bass.
- Physically easy to handle - good open swivel function for on-ear quick
listen

Will run them against HD280, K240S, K270, K271S, and MDR7506 soon.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"andrejs eigus" wrote in message

...far more comfortable than Senn HD-280s. They look a lot more robust,
more like conventional pro headphones, and have a coiled cord.

To say that they are smoother than 7506s strikes me as an understatement.

can you please elaborate?

Nice, well-damped bass with no boom.

Crisp high end but not at all hot.

i love these headphones for the similar reasons Ty Ford loves them. i
find their comfort ratio 7/10, their isolation at 8/10 and the smoothness
at 10/10.

Agreed that they are not as comfortable as the HD 580, ATH-AD 700 and ATH-A
700.
Agreed that their isolation is not as great as HD 280s.
But they are oh, so smooth and balanced.

I think they will last a lot longer than the ATH-AD 700 and ATH-A 700. They
are built a lot like 7506s, but maybe with a little more beef.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound
Geoff Geoff is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:

I think they will last a lot longer than the ATH-AD 700 and ATH-A
700. They are built a lot like 7506s, but maybe with a little more
beef.

I also find that the 7506s tangle so readily. hinge mech as much as cable...

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound

On Oct 12, 1:55 pm, Ty Ford wrote:
OK. I heard them at AES and I have them on my head right now listening to a
Tom Waits cut from "Blue Valentine." These are seriously right headphones.

Natural, balanced, comfortable, closed back.

Get a pair on your head. Like MDR7506 but flatter; minus the bottom and top
bumps and totally covering your ears.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Acting and Voiceover Demoshttp://www.tyford.com
Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Ok Ty, I did. Several days worth now. I've been partial to Sennheiser
HD280 over the MDR7506 for years except edits where the top bump of
the 7506 is useful. The ATH-M50 bass sounds more honest than the HD280
and surprisingly I get a sensation of feeling the low bass.
Incredible. Balance across the spectrum on my ears is smooth yet
articulate. I don't feel I get quite the isolation of the HD280 but it
is definitely much better than the 7506 on my head. Audio-Technica has
a clear winner hear (pun intended). Everyone should give these an
audition to see if it works as well for them.

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos