Posted to rec.audio.pro
Terry[_3_] Terry[_3_] is offline

Default HELP needed with NAKAMICHI RX-202

I just bought a Nakamichi RX-202 cassette recorder/player.
The FF & RW won't work.
I've been told it is a bad IDLER TIRE.
Can someone point me to where this TIRE is?

Thanks,
Terry

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 19:31:10 -0700, Terry
wrote:

I just bought a Nakamichi RX-202 cassette recorder/player.
The FF & RW won't work.
I've been told it is a bad IDLER TIRE.
Can someone point me to where this TIRE is?

Yes, but you're not going to like it. The good news is
that it's right behind the metal plate behind the
cassette itself. The one with the two holes for the
hubs to stick out through. Two screws hold it in place.

Except, and this is the bad news, it also won't
come out without removing one of the plastic "arms"
used to grab the cassette housing and pull it into
the transport during side-changing.

I can't see mine without tearing stuff apart, but my
memory is that the right-hand, looking at the front
of the machine, arm is the easier to remove. Three
tiny screws and a spring; study the spring first and
how it hooks to the arm. Memory's coming back now;
it's definitely the right-hand arm. The screws are of
two different lengths. The arm and its spring will need
to be held in correct rotation/alignment to their pushing
pin when re-installing arm top-plate and these screws.

It ain't rocket surgery, but it's fiddly without a doubt.
Just gotta look at it close before jumping in.

MCM has a replacement rubber tire. Don't bother trying
to massage the original; not worth the effort. Put a
small drop of oil on the capstan motor "top" bearing, another
on the capstan bearing and none on the loading motor.

All good fortune,

Chris Hornbeck
"To live outside the law you must be honest.
I know you always say that you agree.
But where are you tonight, sweet Marie?" -RZ
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Terry wrote:
I just bought a Nakamichi RX-202 cassette recorder/player.
The FF & RW won't work.
I've been told it is a bad IDLER TIRE.
Can someone point me to where this TIRE is?

Get the service manual. The tire is a rubber thing that is easily
accessed from the back of the transport mechanism. You should be
able to see it slipping.

While you're doing the tire, also replace the pinch roller because it'll
also be bad.

Replacement belts, rollers, and idlers should be available from Russell
Industries.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dave Morrison Dave Morrison is offline

I had good luck with these guys: http://www.eslabs.com/idler.htm but it
sounds like my idler tire replacement was easier than what you're facing (I
had a BX model).

dave

oups.com...