Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] 0junk4me@bellsouth.net is offline

Default live sound providers, multichannel connectors again

LIve Sr folks, I need your guidance here.
My remote truck has snakes splits and everything i need to
work with you folks, but my multichannel connectors I have
at the truck and split are those "LK" (THInk I've spelling
and terminology right) square or rectangular connections.

I'm looking at building some breakouts to the
whirlwind or other popular modern multi connection scheme.
PLan to have more than one, but want to acquire the most
popular first.

the bottom feeders in the clubs etc. can be accomodated with
regular xlr right from the splits, but for the larger
companies and folks doing the higher end I'm needing to get
a rough idea what's most common so I know which one to have
done first.

Thanks,

Richard webb,
Replace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real
email address.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
I'm looking at building some breakouts to the
whirlwind or other popular modern multi connection scheme.
PLan to have more than one, but want to acquire the most
popular first.

the bottom feeders in the clubs etc. can be accomodated with
regular xlr right from the splits, but for the larger
companies and folks doing the higher end I'm needing to get
a rough idea what's most common so I know which one to have
done first.

It's a regional thing. In the DC area, everybody uses those square
Elco connectors (which fail in the field). Down in Atlanta, everybody
used Whirlwind. In San Francisco, everybody uses some weird M-S connector
that was available military surplus in the seventies and somehow became
a local standard.

I just use XLR breakouts and squids for interfacing to anyone else.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
No Name

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

I'm looking at building some breakouts to the
whirlwind or other popular modern multi connection scheme.
PLan to have more than one, but want to acquire the most
popular first.

the bottom feeders in the clubs etc. can be accomodated with
regular xlr right from the splits, but for the larger
companies and folks doing the higher end I'm needing to get
a rough idea what's most common so I know which one to have
done first.

It's a regional thing. In the DC area, everybody uses those square
Elco connectors (which fail in the field). Down in Atlanta, everybody
used Whirlwind. In San Francisco, everybody uses some weird M-S connector
that was available military surplus in the seventies and somehow became
a local standard.

I just use XLR breakouts and squids for interfacing to anyone else.
--scott

Richard
you will go both insane and broke trying to anticipate what mults you might
need
perhaps you should ask t6he prominent remote/live companies in the area your
covering
or simply have a break out to xlr's as everyone can work with them

around here , what connector is used has mostly to do with whe the system
was commisioned
we still have guys running hubbles on thier speaker lines
george

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2007-10-11 said:
It's a regional thing. In the DC area, everybody uses those
square Elco connectors (which fail in the field). Down in
Atlanta, everybody used Whirlwind. In San Francisco, everybody
uses some weird M-S connector that was available military surplus
in the seventies and somehow became a local standard.
I just use XLR breakouts and squids for interfacing to anyone
else. --scott

I guess mine are square, been called LK by some. You
familiar with these Scott?

you will go both insane and broke trying to anticipate what mults
you might need
perhaps you should ask the prominent remote/live companies in the
area your covering
or simply have a break out to xlr's as everyone can work with them
around here , what connector is used has mostly to do with whe the
system was commisioned

Yep I"ll check with Pyramid in NEw ORleans and the biggies
here in MEmphis, but we're hired guns in good position to do
sT. Louis and points north as well as South West or east.
wE just won't go into snow country in the winter months g.
I'm going to be finding out what's most common in Nashville
as we go over that way too.
Can do xlr breakout right now with no problem from my
splitter so that's sno biggie. Just down the road plans to
make life simplerand easier for crews.

oUR basic business plan is to provide a good control room
for multi-tracking or broadcast remotes, and to be the no
hassle rig in that department.

we still have guys running hubbles on thier speaker lines

that doesn't surprise me. I remember using them back in the
'80's with a guy I worked for.

Richard webb,
Replace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real
email address.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2007-10-11 said:
It's a regional thing. In the DC area, everybody uses those
square Elco connectors (which fail in the field). Down in
Atlanta, everybody used Whirlwind. In San Francisco, everybody
uses some weird M-S connector that was available military surplus
in the seventies and somehow became a local standard.
I just use XLR breakouts and squids for interfacing to anyone
else.

I guess mine are square, been called LK by some. You
familiar with these Scott?

I looked at
http://www.lkconnectors.info/ and their "audio multipin"
connectors are just standard military connectors. I'd call those
"Bendix connectors" from the folks who invented them in the forties,
or "M-S" connectors for the Bendix series that does the partial-twist-lock
or "Series 96" connectors which I think is the Amphenol designation.

They also have hermaphrodite connectors which look to be the same as
the Whirlwind connectors.

All of these are round, not the square or rectangular Elcos.

oUR basic business plan is to provide a good control room
for multi-tracking or broadcast remotes, and to be the no
hassle rig in that department.

Well, feel free to call me, because I like doing live remote work and
I could use the business right now.

we still have guys running hubbles on thier speaker lines

that doesn't surprise me. I remember using them back in the
'80's with a guy I worked for.

Did the inevitable cross-patch with a power line happen?